Power outages; but Dangg

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
In Zona Colonial there has been more than the normal power outages. At least twice a week for 6-7 hours.

Does anyone know if this is due to power lines being installed underground? I read it suppose to happen but I haven't seen it.

Are other sectors having the same issues?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Does anyone know if this is due to power lines being installed underground? I read it suppose to happen but I haven't seen it.....

You haven't seen it and i doubt you ever will. That would be one huge project and who would pay for it. Overhead is there to stay, just my two pesos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Edenorte charges the same rates on the north coast be it Gaspar Hernandez, Cabarete, Sosua, etc.

There are still Class A through at least Class C circuits, with Class A being "24/7" and Class C getting 7 to 8 hours of daily blackouts. If there are Class D circuits they more blackouts.

As for the problems in Santo Domingo, I cannot imagine EdeSur will bury the power lines.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am aware of the Class system, but I have also seen some sectors within the country that have seen an increased cost once the upgrade is made to "24/7". Even then, "24/7" is not always "24/7".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am aware of the Class system, but I have also seen some sectors within the country that have seen an increased cost once the upgrade is made to "24/7". Even then, "24/7" is not always "24/7".

What has been the difference in rates that you have seen in a Class A circuit versus the other non 24/7 circuits with the EDE's?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
What has been the difference in rates that you have seen in a Class A circuit versus the other non 24/7 circuits with the EDE's?

Excuse me for utilizing a poor choice of words. I should have said heard, not seen. I have heard enough people grumble over the issue to want to see the results myself. Usually those living on fixed incomes who already have their monthly budgets allocated. It is my theory that the increases they see are due to their appliances being used for longer periods of time, which would seem logical. "24/7"=less blackouts=more energy consumed=higher bill. I am told this is not the case. This is why I asked about the rates in Gaspar Hernandez, and if they were in line with other sectors, in order to formulate a comparison.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Excuse me for utilizing a poor choice of words. I should have said heard, not seen. I have heard enough people grumble over the issue to want to see the results myself. Usually those living on fixed incomes who already have their monthly budgets allocated. It is my theory that the increases they see are due to their appliances being used for longer periods of time, which would seem logical. "24/7"=less blackouts=more energy consumed=higher bill. I am told this is not the case. This is why I asked about the rates in Gaspar Hernandez, and if they were in line with other sectors, in order to formulate a comparison.

Unless you had an inverter amd batterie bank before, then less blackouts = lower bill.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You haven't seen it and i doubt you ever will. That would be one huge project and who would pay for it. Overhead is there to stay, just my two pesos.

There are a few streets in ZC where they did it, if they will ever go on doing it in other streets as it was planned, I doubt it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Many "poor" barrios had plans where the owners paid a flat rate for service. It was to get them used to the idea of paying even something. They would leave all of their lights and fans and if they had it, air conditioners, on all of the time since it did not matter in what they paid. When they were changed over to metered billing, of course the bill changed and often dramatically higher.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unless you had an inverter amd batterie bank before, then less blackouts = lower bill.

True that if you use battery/inverter systems to fill in the blackouts, when you go on 24/7 power your bill will go down if you use the same amount of power. That is because the battery/inverter systems waste around 20% of the power in the charging and discharge of the battery and the conversion process in the inverter from AC to DC and DC to AC... That might even be as much as 30% waste.