Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Words, phrases and expressions of the week- January 6, 2018

  1. #11
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    134
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianopolita View Post
    I will highlight what you need to go back and reconsider.


    1) If you are trying to say - the journey to my house then por has a different meaning in your phrase.


    3) I don't understand your usage of- a su vez- are you trying to say at the same time? Then that is a la vez. A su vez has a different meaning.


    4) una calentador- grammar- un calentador


    6) You are female- Estoy preocupada del orígen agrícola ....my suggestion


    7) You need to say estoy viviendo... you can't just say viviendo en la RD in a phrase like that. Grammar point- Estar + gerundio (the gerund- equivalent to 'ing' in English)



    -MP.


    thanks!

    I used google translate 

    the first one, crossing I thought meant a street crossing

    “a su vez” translated to “at the same time” but I guess that’s wrong

  2. #12
    Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
    thanks!

    I used google translate 

    the first one, crossing I thought meant a street crossing

    “a su vez” translated to “at the same time” but I guess that’s wrong

    Wow! If google translate gave you that may I suggest trying on your own. A su vez is a tricky idiom. Honestly, I prefer an equivalent. However, I saw it in an article today and chose it for the list to see how others manage it. It is used a lot in journalism. 


    -MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 01-06-2018 at 10:25 PM.

    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

  3. #13
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Impensable... that's a word I've never used. Some folks may even try--mistakenly, of course--to correct me:

    "José, quisiste decir 'indispensable'".

    Now, I may be wrong, but I think 'inconcebible' is more commonly used, at least in the D.R.

    A good creative writing exercise: use all 7 phrases in a short composition.

  4. #14
    Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    Impensable... that's a word I've never used. Some folks may even try--mistakenly, of course--to correct me:

    "José, quisiste decir 'indispensable'".

    Now, I may be wrong, but I think 'inconcebible' is more commonly used, at least in the D.R.

    A good creative writing exercise: use all 7 phrases in a short composition.

    In my opinion, impensable is an everyday word in Spanish in general and I would not even think of giving it any kind of regional distinction or association. From a grammatical perspective it’s pensable + prefix = impensable. These types of words in Spanish are a dime a dozen. However, you could be right maybe words get commonly used in a region for diverse reasons and of course the lack of exposure to one’s own language which we all know happens everywhere in any language. It was in an article I read yesterday in Diario las Américas.

    To your point, I recently started noticing how a simple word like wedding varies in Spanish. Casamiento vs. boda. A friend of mine, a full-grown adult was shocked when he heard the word casamiento. I had to tell him it means boda. Now I really listen to people just to observe which word is more commonly used. It’s hard to pin point anything specific but I noticed casamiento is quite popular in certain countries in South America whereas boda seems very generic. I continue to listen out for the word choice.


    -MP.

    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

  5. Likes Lucifer liked this post
  6. #15
    Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    Impensable... that's a word I've never used. Some folks may even try--mistakenly, of course--to correct me:

    "José, quisiste decir 'indispensable'".

    Now, I may be wrong, but I think 'inconcebible' is more commonly used, at least in the D.R.

    A good creative writing exercise: use all 7 phrases in a short composition.

    Here is my short composition:



    Es un año nuevo y es buena oportunidad de pensar en los objetivos que tengo para 2018. Es otro año de levantarme muy temprano y aguantar una travesía larga para llegar a la oficina. Sin embargo, me encanta. Soy una de esas personas felices de tener trabajo y aprovecho la oportunidad.

    Pienso que 2018 será interesante porque quiero alcanzar algunas metas pero pienso que será muy difícil a su vez por las pocas oportunidades que hay para avanzar. A pesar de eso mis metas no son impensables.

    Creo que es lógico planear o tener algo en mente de esa manera puedo hacer cambios según sea necesario. Trabajo en el mundo corporativo así que es lógico tener objetivos tanto a corto plazo como a largo plazo para hacer frente a los cambios en el mercado. A diferencia de la industria agrícola aunque es posible planear un terremoto puede arruinar todo de una vez. Un sacudido y se acaba todo. Me imagino que no es fácil ser granjero.

    Para los que creen en el horóscopo según lo que se dice será un buen año para muchas personas. Espero que me toque la suerte. Procuraré hacer todo lo posible para tener éxito este año.


    I used all 7 words.



    -MP.

    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

  7. Likes Lucifer liked this post
  8. #16
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianopolita View Post
    Wow! If google translate gave you that may I suggest trying on your own. A su vez is a tricky idiom. Honestly, I prefer an equivalent. However, I saw it in an article today and chose it for the list to see how others manage it. It is used a lot in journalism. 


    -MP.
    Yes, Google Translate translates "a su vez" as "at the same time", while the site your recommended, Word Reference, gives it as "in turn". Practically opposite meanings! I think I'll make Word Reference my default translator if Google gets it so wrong.

  9. #17
    Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    Yes, Google Translate translates "a su vez" as "at the same time", while the site your recommended, Word Reference, gives it as "in turn". Practically opposite meanings! I think I'll make Word Reference my default translator if Google gets it so wrong.

    Yes, I looked it up after Cateseye said that she used it. The irony about translators is you have a very good command of both languages, source and target language in order to benefit from it because you can catch the ridiculous translations and rule them out and make corrections. If I need to look up a word in either language I use the most reliable source which is a dictionary.

    The link I provided is one of the most widely used on the web. It is a dictionary and the language forums they have are well supported with knowledgeable posters if you ever glance at it. I really have no time to look at it on a regular basis and responses are posted within seconds literally. Their forums have a very high volume of threads and posts.

    I have tested google translate for fun many times both Eng to Span and Span to Eng and I have made some observations. The simpler the phrase the more accurate the translation. Google translate does not recognize Spanish phrases with multiple pronouns and of course you saw the example with idiomatic expressions. A su vez has a unique meaning.



    -MP.
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 01-07-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Clarification - a su vez

    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

  10. #18
    Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    for a change, i asked miesposo to complete this task, let's see how he does
    he is dictating and i am typing so no accents (i dont know how to insert them on my keyboard).

    1. mi travesia en el trabajo fue larga y dura.

    2. en este pub hay muchos borrachos.

    3. mientras el leia a su vez tomaba llamadas telefonicas.

    4. fui al supermercado a procurar leche y huevos.

    5. los productos agricola son parte de nuestra dieta diaria.

    6. el hombre hizo lo impensable al poner pie en la luna hace menos de un siglo.

    7. la majoria de los dominicanos tienen memoria a corto plazo.

    North Coast Moderator

  11. #19
    Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catseye View Post
    thanks!

    I used google translate 

    the first one, crossing I thought meant a street crossing

    “a su vez” translated to “at the same time” but I guess that’s wrong


    A su vez is not an expression I use and I only see it used in newspapers but understanding its meaning is key and it depends on the context.

    I just put your phrase in Google translate and look what it gives as an English equivalent:

    https://translate.google.com/#auto/e...20a%20su%20vez.


    It is translating a su vez as in turn.


    According to other sources it can also mean mientras and it can also mean a la vez but I have not seen that meaning in the dictionary.


    I like this definition here from diccionario reverso:

    http://diccionario.reverso.net/espan...iones/a+su+vez


    Here is the example from the newspaper where I read it:

    A su vez, el número de fallecidos en la ruta subió de 128 contabilizados en 2016 a un total de 223 hasta esa fecha.
    .

    In that context, I think it can be replaced by mientras and have the same meaning.

    https://www.diariolasamericas.com/mu...-2017-n4140715



    -MP.

    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

  12. #20
    Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    for a change, i asked miesposo to complete this task, let's see how he does
    he is dictating and i am typing so no accents (i dont know how to insert them on my keyboard).

    1. mi travesia en el trabajo fue larga y dura.

    2. en este pub hay muchos borrachos.

    3. mientras el leia a su vez tomaba llamadas telefonicas.

    4. fui al supermercado a procurar leche y huevos.

    5. los productos agricola son parte de nuestra dieta diaria.

    6. el hombre hizo lo impensable al poner pie en la luna hace menos de un siglo.

    7. la majoria de los dominicanos tienen memoria a corto plazo.


    1) Are you saying my journey to work ?..... ¿en el trabajo?


    5) Concordance- the s is dropped when speaking but it has to be written.


    7) spelling- la mayoría



    -MP.

    Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •