Wheelchair Accessible Transportation

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Have a friend arriving in Puerto Plata next week.This person is in a motorized wheelchair and can not walk on
their own and was just recently informed they are required to find transportation to their resort as resort/airline
does not provide a wheelchair accessible (with ramp) vehicle. Does anyone know of such a service?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The DR is not the place to be for handicapped accessible.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Have a friend arriving in Puerto Plata next week.This person is in a motorized wheelchair and can not walk on
their own and was just recently informed they are required to find transportation to their resort as resort/airline
does not provide a wheelchair accessible (with ramp) vehicle. Does anyone know of such a service?

This link is very useful for anyone needing mobility shuttle service in the DR. It lists prices to some of the RESORTS in 6 DR locations including Puerto Plata. Just make sure the resort is accessable and they'll be fine.

http://www.handicaptravelersdr.com/page/shuttle-services

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
This link is very useful for anyone needing mobility shuttle service in the DR. It lists prices to some of the RESORTS in 6 DR locations including Puerto Plata. Just make sure the resort is accessable and they'll be fine.

http://www.handicaptravelersdr.com/page/shuttle-services

I do not see any prices or options for pick up from POP airport to any resort on the north coast.

This outfit seems to be based in PUJ.....so to get that service to POP might be possible but I’m sure it would be very expensive.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
May not be possible on the north coast. In 12 years of living here I have only seen one motorized wheel chair and that was used by a local expat resident.
A few years ago I spent 8 weeks here in a wheel chair (regular one) and found getting around was not easy. You may want to look somewhere else for your vacation

Bob K