A sad deportation story.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is sad but you have two people that came and stayed illegally, and then he broke the same law twice. Article doesn't say if he was driving when accident occured. They can move to Spain.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
The article doesn't say a lot.

When I read anything in the paper I think about what was edited out. this piece is somewhere between a report and advocacy. Repeated in many other sites. I can't find the local newspaper. Often hometown newspapers have better details.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It is sad but you have two people that came and stayed illegally, and then he broke the same law twice. Article doesn't say if he was driving when accident occured. They can move to Spain.

Exactly. We either have laws or we don't. The article also is heavy on the injuries of the little boy. While very sad to see a little kid banged up like that, Mendez should have been making sure he became legal. His inaction will cause the boy more pain.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
was the child strapped in ?

A car seat in use ??

i hate to speculate, but i bet he was not.

us third world types have less than zero concept about vehicle safety. because law enforcement is so lax, nobody strives for absolutely safe ways to transport their passengers, and themselves. i have seen grown men in this country, driving expensive, late model jeepetas, with children in their laps. in America, a cop would give you a whole book of summonses. in the DR, the only issue would be whether or not the driver was wearing his belt..

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
from reading the article I am wondering why he would be deported to the Dominican Republic?

The DR does not qualify for the Visa Waiver program, so he would have had to qualify due to his Spanish citizenship, an entered from spain.
Deport yes but not to the DR. back to Spain he goes. Same would apply to the ESTA program, again not eligible from the DR.

Mendez, who has dual citizenship in Spain and Dominican Republic, came to the United States legally in 2014 under the Visa Waiver Program but violated the program's terms by overstaying his visit for more than two years, the Detroit office of the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement said.

Article does not say where the girlfriend is from or how she entered the country, would believe she had been in the US much longer as her son is a US citizen(so was born in the US). No mention of her being deported.

According to the following article she has a pending application for a U Visa, which grants legal residency to victims of serious crime who cooperate with law enforcement

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...year-olds-daddy-faces-deportation/1006102001/
much better article on the subject

Ricky Solis, born in November 2011 at University of Cincinnati Medical Center to an undocumented Guatemalan national.
Ricky was riding in a booster seat in the back seat of the car driven by his mother, Sandra Mendoza, 24, when they were hit broadside. (would explain the injuries to the boy even if belted in)
At the time of the auto accident, the boy and his mother had been living for two years with Mendez, who has dual citizenship in Spain and the Dominican Republic but had moved to the United States to find higher-paying work. (another violation of the visa waiver program as your not allowed to work just visit.)

Mendoza was brought to the United States illegally by her parents. She has twice been denied temporary permission to stay through the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, otherwise known as DACA.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Rare to have serious injuries if strapped in....

Agreeing w/ you

ask yourself a simple question..

how many car seats have you ever seen in this country?

i am willing to bet that the few people riding around with them have lived abroad for a period of time..

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
yup...the things i see here would get you locked up in America..kids in the dugout portion of scooters...holy jeezus. they inevitably go flying when those things wreck..

C'mon G. Those things never wreck. Nevah evah evah:paranoid: It is a daily sight in the DR, Campo, Town, etc. I have never been able to understand why one would take such a risk with their child(ren) standing in the dugout of a scooter.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
C'mon G. Those things never wreck. Nevah evah evah:paranoid: It is a daily sight in the DR, Campo, Town, etc. I have never been able to understand why one would take such a risk with their child(ren) standing in the dugout of a scooter.

i was on the malecon one day, and this chica was riding one, with kid in the hollow, drinking a jumbo. yes, it was a jumbo. she wrecked, the kid went flying, and she got cut by glass shards.

she had hit a parked car. the cops went into the building in front of where the car was parked. they were looking for the owner of the parked car, so he could pay her medical bills. they told me that the owner of the car which she hit was liable for her bills.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Kind of a bogus headline. He isn't being deported for driving w/o a valid license - he is being deported for violating the terms of the VWP and being in the US illegally.

This is one of the problems with illegal immigration - you end up with a lot of sad, heart-breaking stories like this one.

Last edited:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Kind of a bogus headline. He isn't being deported for driving w/o a valid license - he is being deported for violating the terms of the VWP and being in the US illegally.

This is one of the problems with illegal immigration - you end up with a lot of sad, heart-breaking stories like this one.

It is tragic and many families will have to make adjustments as they move back to where they belong. These stories do tug at the heart strings and there is a strong human element. That being said ... these folks knew these risks when they started having families and took on major financial obligations in a country that they were not legal residents off.

Terrible all the way around but I believe that the right thing is being done and a precedent is being set that will encourage people to stay home and focus on improving their lives there.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
All posts must be DR related. All the posts about jus solis etc have been moved to a new thread in OT forum