New stuff going on for folks entering/ overstaying visas.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Please don't shoot the messenger, but I have read several other stories about all this. Seems Migration is cracking down on folks who live here, however do not have legal status (Cedula and residencea). I know a lot of folks who come here and pay the "overstay fine / tax...whatever" cause it's cheaper than going through the trouble, money and hassle of getting residencia.
This video is from a person just like that. She works here as a "digital Nomad"...online. I'm not going to get into my opinions of her thoughts and experiences. But that all said, I think we heard this was coming at some point. Looks like that time is now.
Respectfully.
I hope the link works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZUqcjoTmLw

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
For those that don't have 17 minutes to watch the video can someone give a summary?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Just watched the video.  That woman is a fool.  She sold her house in the U.S. and moved to the DR without doing any research first.  She then gets here and complains because she couldn't just move here and get a job and live just as she did in the U.S.  Typical American... she thinks the rules shouldn't have to apply her. 

Just because you work online doesn't mean you aren't working in the DR.  You are living and working in the DR.  

I have no sympathy.  

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
For those that don't have 17 minutes to watch the video can someone give a summary?

She's a typical self-important clueless American.  She thinks she's entitled to come to the DR and live and work without bothering to follow any of the immigration rules.   After leaving to visit the States for a few weeks, she was detained when returning to the DR.  

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well, she can start by spelling Immigration correctly.

Long winded , self serving....

I don't think she gets it yet.

8 hrs detention is beauty.

There sounds like something is afoot at airports,,,,

We'll see Friday when I arrive- Residency in hand

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Well, she can start by spelling Immigration correctly.

Long winded , self serving....

I don't think she gets it yet.

8 hrs detention is beauty.

There sounds like something is afoot at airports,,,,

We'll see Friday when I arrive- Residency in hand

I arrive Thursday - Residency in hand :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lady moved here full time, sold her house back home
Intended to work here, buy car & a condo
Never made enough $$$ to afford residency (probably does not qualify for residency anyways)
Now holds an offshore job
Not interested in getting Residency here
It costs a lot to move back to the US
Went to the US for the holidays
Arrived at the airport in the DR on Jan 6 2018
Was detained for 8 hours by immigration.
Believes Immigration did not appreciate the offshore source of her employment
Was told can only stay for 30 days maximum
Accused of deliberately choosing to overstay

Lots of blaming and whining and excuses for living here without going through the process to do so. Not able to appreciate what she did was just as illegal as the prostitutes and pimps she was seated with.

Told if she overstays again she will not be able return. Someone came and got her or someone arranged for her release.

Says 30 - 40 other travelers refused entry while she was detained.
She now intends to leave...at some point.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve read a couple of stories on Facebook about problems entering and leaving. Something is afoot 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My words but her story. Of course she has some cash. Sorry Mom, can't afford to come home to visit this year, need to get my residency here taken care of. Flights over Christmas are not particularly cheap.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
23lcqdf.gif

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Scanning through the video I come across a moment she says: why do you call it an exit tax and not an exit fine, and thinks she should be allowed back in because of that....right..... should have send her back.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Just watched the video.  That woman is a fool.  She sold her house in the U.S. and moved to the DR without doing any research first.  She then gets here and complains because she couldn't just move here and get a job and live just as she did in the U.S.  Typical American... she thinks the rules shouldn't have to apply her. 

Just because you work online doesn't mean you aren't working in the DR.  You are living and working in the DR.  

I have no sympathy.  

I wouldn't say ..typical American...just a typical fool