Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Questions about night life in SD (2 guys from Europe, late 20´s).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the post
    ---------------------------------------------------

TropicalPaul
    Bronze

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe that anyone would seriously recommend the nightlife in Sosua over Santo Domingo, unless you're only interested in meeting hookers in which case Sosua is your spot. The nightclub scene in Santo Domingo is really happening, I run a hotel there and every weekend we get young people staying from New York, Miami, Atlanta specifically for the clubs. The Colonial Zone has some good clubs, particularly on Mercedes which tend to be for more upmarket Dominicans. The cool places for younger locals are Villa Consuelo (such as Flow, Kuora, Kaprich - there is a street of clubs there) - and Villa Juana. You'll definitely need some locals to take you to these places, and I strongly recommend that you don't take any expensive phones, jewellery or gadgets as these barrios are rough enough in the daytime.

2. Likes Euroguy88 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaRose View Post
    SD has a bunch of clubs! Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something "upscale" (with a dress code) maybe try La Fabrica or Jet Set for local music and pop "EDM", for something more relaxed and trending towards house/techno try Garabato, Onno's or The Room. Sometimes La Espiral 313 has interesting stuff, depends on the day. Social media is your friend- lots of places here advertise events on Instagram. There's probably a bunch of high end "discos" out there that I don't know about- I don't roll in those circles, preferring the Berlin-type club scene. If you can get more specific about your musical taste and tell me when you'll be here I might be able to help you narrow it down.

Also, I go out with my iphone in my pocket every day. Just don't wave it around, and use common sense like you would in any big city and you should be fine. Be aware of your surroundings. In touristy areas like la zona colonial you're probably safer to flash your camera and phone around than, say, if you're walking down a street in a barrio. That said, I have a friend who is a relatively big dude who got mugged for his nice watch in broad daylight on the street in one of the nicer neighborhoods. I'd say it's similar to Rio, although it's been about 15 years since I was in Rio! Good luck!

Thanks, appreciate  the info.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy88 View Post
    ............Basically I just want to go to Santo Domingo and ¨live like a local for a month¨ plus some tourist attractions.
    Staying for a month would be quite different than a short vacation. In that case Santo Domingo would be a better choice over Sosua.

5. Likes Euroguy88 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Staying for a month would be quite different than a short vacation. In that case Santo Domingo would be a better choice over Sosua.

Also I don´t know how to dance bachata, do they play a lot of bachata in the mainstream clubs?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience, is that they tend to play more of that cursed reggaeton, and dembow, with some bachata and merengue in between.

8. Likes Euroguy88 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234