Questions about night life in SD (2 guys from Europe, late 20´s).

Euroguy88

Jan 10, 2018
We will be visiting the capital, we choose SD over Sosua, because we want a more ¨authentic experience¨.

Can you recommend some high end disco´s? 
Is it safe for tourists to go clubbing/ partying with locals?

How dangerous is SD compared to Rio de Janiero? Can I walk around with my Canon / iPhone/ Dre Beats?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
If you behave yourself and don't get too drunk it's safe enough. But there are always people watching you and waiting for a chance. For disco's you can start in Avenida Venezuela, many good big disco's within 500 meters.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
It is safe to party with the locals but avoid bringing expensive stuff like the latest i-phone or jewelry. Other than that, enjoy your night :)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
We will be visiting the capital, we choose SD over Sosua, because we want a more ¨authentic experience¨.

How dangerous is SD compared to Rio de Janiero? Can I walk around with my Canon / iPhone/ Dre Beats?

Its safe, you just must have common sense like if you were in Rio or any other big city arround the world, try to dress like locals, do not use your phone on streets, dont use jewery or expensive watch. In the Avenida Venezuela there is a bunch of clubs, also in the Colonial Zone has a lot of night life.

And very well for you to go also to Santo Domingo. Welcome. Feel free to send me a PM if you need more specific details.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

It's not dangerous but you need to use common sense. When you go out leave most of your credit cards in the hotel safe. Do not wear expense watches or other jewelery and be careful interacting. Remember prostitution is legal in the DR and "clubs" are prime territory for these ladies to find a john. Although being "hit on" may seem flattering it is more like being stalked or hunted. Men from Europe or NA are probably not use to this role. Have fun but be safe.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Exactly USA DOC, S.D.????, not sure what type of "authentic experience" these guys think they are going to find in SD. If they are looking to party and hit the "clubs" Sosua is the place to go.

And here I thought Doc was asking what/where SD was.  :)

Plenty of partying for young people in Santo Domingo bird!  

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
And here I thought Doc was asking what/where SD was.  :)

Plenty of partying for young people in Santo Domingo bird!  

I understand there are plenty of places for young Dominicans to party in SD but if i were traveling across the Atlantic Ocean i would go for a sure shot and hit Sosua. Not much time to wine and dine the elite in SD when just on a short vacation.

The most important question,,,,, are they fluent in Spanish?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I think Sosua will provide you with an authentic experience, and when you get tired of this experience of professional companions, make friends with a trustworthy local with a car and go to Santiago for a night or two.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I think Sosua will provide you with an authentic experience, and when you get tired of this experience of professional companions, make friends with a trustworthy local with a car and go to Santiago for a night or two.

Lots of Europen are urban tourist, not every body enjoy to be stock in a beach, they like to see also diferents things thand sand and a coconut, they want to see whats capital city offer to tourist, thats really good to see there are also people that want to come here and see as much as they can, Historic places, lots of restaurants, lots of clubs.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
SD has a bunch of clubs! Depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something "upscale" (with a dress code) maybe try La Fabrica or Jet Set for local music and pop "EDM", for something more relaxed and trending towards house/techno try Garabato, Onno's or The Room. Sometimes La Espiral 313 has interesting stuff, depends on the day. Social media is your friend- lots of places here advertise events on Instagram. There's probably a bunch of high end "discos" out there that I don't know about- I don't roll in those circles, preferring the Berlin-type club scene. If you can get more specific about your musical taste and tell me when you'll be here I might be able to help you narrow it down.

Also, I go out with my iphone in my pocket every day. Just don't wave it around, and use common sense like you would in any big city and you should be fine. Be aware of your surroundings. In touristy areas like la zona colonial you're probably safer to flash your camera and phone around than, say, if you're walking down a street in a barrio. That said, I have a friend who is a relatively big dude who got mugged for his nice watch in broad daylight on the street in one of the nicer neighborhoods. I'd say it's similar to Rio, although it's been about 15 years since I was in Rio! Good luck!

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bird 
These high end clubs have higher end clientele...
In SD, that usually means English as well as Spanish 

Educated, upscale young people 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bird 
These high end clubs have higher end clientele...
In SD, that usually means English as well as Spanish 

Educated, upscale young people 

Maybe i am reading something that isn't there but when someone is deciding between Sosua and SD to me education doesn't seem to matter.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...except the OP said they already decided on SD over Sosua!

yes i read that.......... but if educated chicas was so important Sosua should have never been in the mix from the get go. Maybe i am just an old fart but for two young dudes traveling Sosua sure sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than being in some uppity high scale night club.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
"Mamma" is the place to go

Hi, i highly recommend mamma nightclub. Forget about all the prior advises you got about leaving your phone at home etc bla bla bla. So much Security there that nothing will happen to you !!! https://www.facebook.com/mammaluxuryhall/

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I cannot believe that anyone would seriously recommend the nightlife in Sosua over Santo Domingo, unless you're only interested in meeting hookers in which case Sosua is your spot. The nightclub scene in Santo Domingo is really happening, I run a hotel there and every weekend we get young people staying from New York, Miami, Atlanta specifically for the clubs. The Colonial Zone has some good clubs, particularly on Mercedes which tend to be for more upmarket Dominicans. The cool places for younger locals are Villa Consuelo (such as Flow, Kuora, Kaprich - there is a street of clubs there) - and Villa Juana. You'll definitely need some locals to take you to these places, and I strongly recommend that you don't take any expensive phones, jewellery or gadgets as these barrios are rough enough in the daytime.