Donald Trump: Haiti is a '****hole' country

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Donald has done it again, this time calling Haiti, El Salvador, and African countries '****holes' and making it clear that he wants people like Norweageans moving to the USA, not people from these countries.

A few quotes from the article:

President Trump grew frustrated with lawmakers Thursday in the Oval Office when they discussed protecting immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador and African countries as part of a bipartisan immigration deal, according to several people briefed on the meeting.

“Why are we having all these people from ****hole countries come here?” Trump said, according to these people, referring to countries mentioned by the lawmakers.

Trump then suggested that the United States should instead bring more people from countries such as Norway, whose prime minister he met with Wednesday. The president, according to a White House official, also suggested he would be open to more immigrants from Asian countries because he felt they help the United States economically.

Haiti is given special attention by Trump:

In addition, the president singled out Haiti, telling lawmakers that immigrants from that country must be left out of any deal, these people said.

“Why do we need more Haitians?” Trump said, according to people familiar with the meeting. “Take them out.”

Republican Haitian-descended representative Mia Love:

Some Republicans also raised objections. Rep. Mia Love (R-Utah), whose family is from Haiti, said in a statement that Trump’s remarks were “unkind, divisive, elitist, and fly in the face of our nation’s values. This behavior is unacceptable from the leader of our nation.”

Dominican politician in NY Adriano Espaillat:

“My grandmother used to say, ‘Digame con quién caminas, y te diré quién eres.’ ‘Tell me who you walk with, and I’ll tell you who you are,’ ” said Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-N.Y.), who represents most of Harlem and is an immigrant from the Dominican Republic, which shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. “If he’s walking around with white supremacists and supporting them, this kind of talk doesn’t surprise me.”

Haiti's ambassador to the USA:

In a statement condemning Thursday’s remarks by Trump, Haiti’s ambassador to the United States, Paul G. Altidor, said that “the president was either misinformed or miseducated about Haiti and its people.” He said the Haitian Embassy was inundated with emails from Americans apologizing for what the president said.

Democrats:

Democrats were quick to note that Trump employs Haitians at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida and that he praised Haitian Americans during a roundtable in Miami in September.

Alex Desulme, city council member in North Miami:

Alix Desulme, a city council member in North Miami, home to thousands of Haitian Americans, said the president’s latest remarks were “disgusting.”

“Oh, my God. Oh, my God Jesus,” Desulme said. “I don’t know how much worse it can get.”

“This is very alarming. We know he’s not presidential, but this is a low,” he said. “It’s disheartening that someone who is the leader of the free world would use such demeaning language to talk about other folks, referring to folks of color.”

The Washington Post - Trump derides protections for immigrants from ‘****hole’ countries

Last edited:

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I can't believe that Dominicans would be upset with this comment as everywhere I go I hear how much the Dominicans hate the Haitians. My dark Dominican wife can't stand the Haitians and when I asked her why she said because they're sooooo black... I thought to myself have you ever looked in the mirror and almost said something, but decided to keep my mouth shut. There is racism everywhere and especially in the DR against the Haitians. Trump said what a majority of Americans think which is why he has such a fevered support over there.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Well Haiti might have not been such a shytehole if the Clintons and the other NGO's would have invested the millions and millions they received for helping the country. BUT THEY DIDN'T!!!!
Haitian people are very nice people but the country is a shytehole and that's correct.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I’ve had the opportunity to meet many Haitians during the years I’ve wintered in the DR. They are some of the hardest working, honest, most creative people I had the pleasure to meet. In the face of constant adversity, they still smile and carry on. Frank is right. Their country is in a deplorable state due to natural disasters and corrupt governments but the Haitians can’t be faulted for that. The Haitians I know rise above that and get on with their lives. Those that have migrated to Canada are hard working, honest people, and contribute to our economy and culture. 

I’ve seen the animosity some Dominicans exhibit towards Haitians. I’ve noticed that the ones who show the most animosity are very poor, uneducated Dominicans who are angry with their lot in life and need something or somebody to complain about. A large number of the Dominicans I know are concerned about the plight of the Haitians and some even sympathize with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Any post that doesn’t deal specifically with Haiti will be deleted, and from here on will incur infractions. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Go to the Trump thread in Off Topic for everything else

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've been saying Haiti is a sh*thole on this forum for years.
The truth hurts.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We have about a dozen Haitian children attending our school and they are treated exactly the same as Dominican children, and they get along fine with each other. Several of the parents are not very fluent in Spanish but always bring someone to help. None of them are delinquent at paying school fees. All are legal residents, or have a work visa. In my experience the average Dominican is only worried about too many Haitians invading. We just had a second floor installed on a house plus a drainage system installed in the school yard and there was only one Haitian on both construction crew. Dominicans have no issues with working construction and they don't have issues working with Haitians either. Haitians are responsible for the state of their country regardless of anything the international community has done, both positively and negatively.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've been saying Haiti is a sh*thole on this forum for years.
The truth hurts.

last i checked, you are not the President of the USA. you can say it, and Larry can say it, and Joe Blow can say it. the leader of another country should know better than to say it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what can i say, the truer words have never been spoken by a politician, a sh*thole it is. in related news, water is wet. he's just stating the facts.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Haiti will not get out of the mess that they are in until people who mean well stop interfering in that country's politics. Haitians are not who the Dominicans should fear.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
last i checked, you are not the President of the USA. you can say it, and Larry can say it, and Joe Blow can say it. the leader of another country should know better than to say it.

I agree with you 100% Gorgon. Too many folks just don't understand that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Haiti will not get out of the mess that they are in until people who mean well stop interfering in that country's politics. Haitians are not who the Dominicans should fear.

Based on the the history, I don't think you'll find too many Dominicans that will agree with you. Haiti will still be screwed up, even if there is no outside interference.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Maybe if Haitians can't easily flee that ****hole of a country at set themselves up elsewhere, they will come to realize that it's up to them to retake control of their country, their own future and begin the long slog back to prosperity and representative government within Haiti.

The rest of the world being enablers of the status quo, should be ashamed of ourselves for thinking that we can make things better by offering warm winter coats, and welfare to people who have just given up and "walked" away.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Once again Trump nails it, connects with real people, voters and tax payers! At least he has the balls to say what the majority of Americans and 99% of Dominicans think.

Haiti is a ****hole, fact!

Now that is out of the way, maybe now some Governments around the globe will actually work at changing that reality, as it obvious it will not happen internally.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Trump connects with ignorance and hate. That's what he connects with. I do not beleive that the majority of Americans feel that way about Haiti or any other country that Trump referred to. They maybe feel pity but not the vulgar hatred that he spewed. If the Dominicans feel that they have been spared from Trump's vulgarity, wait and see what's next.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Haiti is a *** hole, *** hole, *** hole thanks to the following
1) The French
2) The US
3) Its people
4) The Clinton
5) The UN

Dominican Republic has nothing to do with Haiti present or past conditions.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Trump connects with ignorance and hate. That's what he connects with. I do not beleive that the majority of Americans feel that way about Haiti or any other country that Trump referred to. They maybe feel pity but not the vulgar hatred that he spewed. If the Dominicans feel that they have been spared from Trump's vulgarity, wait and see what's next.

Maybe this reality check will put the focus back on Haiti and motivate the people into actually taking ownership of their problems and future. Instead of waiting for handouts, NGO's or the Clintons to come to the rescue.

Negativity can sometimes have a long term positive impact.

Regardless of delivery or the words used, Trump motivates action and change.
e.g. I see North Korea are back at the negotiating table and ISIS have all but vanished from the headlines.

Maybe a few negative words will actually turn out to be a positive for countries like Haiti.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Lets also not forget the comment Trump "allegedly" made is coming from a 3rd hand source.

It was first reported by the Washington Post, which is no lover of Trump and pushed out it's fair share of fake news.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Maybe this reality check will put the focus back on Haiti and motivate the people into actually taking ownership of their problems and future. Instead of waiting for handouts, NGO's or the Clintons to come to the rescue.

Negativity can sometimes have a long term positive impact.

Regardless of delivery or the words used, Trump motivates action and change.
e.g. I see North Korea are back at the negotiating table and ISIS have all but vanished from the headlines.

Maybe a few negative words will actually turn out to be a positive for countries like Haiti.

Agreed. I do believe it's time that Haitians take matters into their own hands. I have been waiting for Haitians to wake the hell up since the time of Papa Doc. It pains me that the Haitian populace is so asleep. So yes, maybe what Trump said might stoke the fires to the Haitians waking up from their slumber. But sadly, chances are that will not happen during our lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.