Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience of international delivery from chinese websites?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Experience of international delivery from chinese websites?

Dear all amazing people of Dominican Republic.

I've enjoyed every second of my vacation there, spent with a huge family in a barrio of Santo Domingo.

I loved the mood, the flow, the style, the smile, the positivity, the living of every single face I've been introduced too.

Now, there was this guy, a kid let's say, whom every night was coming to the house of this family which was hosting me, they were providing him with food and a friendly environment, and he was happy even with his more than difficult life.

He was highly passionated with music and every single night he was asking me to borrow him with my mobile for random YouTube bingewatching.

I'd like to provide him with a mobile, I tried to have a look at the mobile stores when I was there but I noticed that everything was SO overpriced compared with European shops. Therefore I was thinking about using these popular Chinese shops I constantly use here in Europe, like Gearbest, or Bangood, they provide international shipping and everything worked very smoothly for Europe (obviously it takes 3wks which is really bad compared with the 1day delivery of Amazon, but still...). The same international shipping is available for Dominican republic.

Do anyone of you have any experience with these websites so far? Will the package ever arrive at the door of this guy? I'm just asking cause we can agree with the fact that a lot of things there are really bad managed and even if it is the same shipping, it could work taking the European route but fail miserably taking the Caribbean one.

I'm not particularly afraid of losing the money since with PayPal I'm 100% sure I would be reimbursed if the package would be lost, and I would give a try if it worth.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it. he will never get it via DOM Mail.

You need to have it sent to a freight forwarder that he can pick up in any major city, for example EPS.
    https://www.eps.com.do/en/

Post Thanks / Like

Uhm, interesting, thank you for your contribution.

This was exactly what I was afraid of.

Using that service basically will need me to pay like 2 custom, I think.

What about choosing a trusted delivery such us DHL instead of the standard international shipping procedure? In Europe they are not using the country's post this way, just the DHL dedicated couriers.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be Scrooge, he is only going to sell it the next day to buy beer or a meal.
    Where is he getting data from, are you buying him a data plan, as well?
    The thought was there, but wait til you visit next time.

5. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This family had WiFi, when electricity was working

I'm trying to keep positive about the people, it's kind of my rule about the world, if I'll be wrong, well, glad he enjoyed his brugal or picapollo

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Go on Facebook buy local used..pretty cheap...most people use wifi only for whattaapp call and free incoming calls

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Do what Tambo said. You can open an account for one of them with EPS . They used to charge yearly, but not now. Not sure about new accounts, but I guess they would be free. I have used EPS for phones shipped from Hong Kong with no problems in the past. And the phones worked well here.

Just keep it under $$200 US so there is not duty.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sky, this is very interesting!
    Did you pay the us custom? And what about the Dr custom?
    I'm interested in a shipping from HK too.

Post Thanks / Like

Edit: ok for the 200usd. I will give a try and let you know.
    Thank you everybody for the contributions

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sssank View Post
    Thanks sky, this is very interesting!
    Did you pay the us custom? And what about the Dr custom?
    I'm interested in a shipping from HK too.

I am talking about DR customs. There is no custom fee to ship it to EPS in Miami, then they fly it here. He can pick it up at the EPS office. And EPS will send you and Email advising arrival, both in Miami and here.

The only fee will be about 260rd per pound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast