Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current situation regarding illegal Haitians

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Current situation regarding illegal Haitians

Can someone give an update? Is the government still trying to deport the illegal immigrants or did they back down?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They are always trying to deport illegal Haitians. They have a bus or two just for that purpose.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alltimegreat View Post
    Can someone give an update? Is the government still trying to deport the illegal immigrants or did they back down?
    Yeah, it's real. They are constantly combing poor neighborhoods in Puerto Plata for Hatians without papers.

It's been holding up a number of construction projects that often spring to life after 6 on Fridays when the immigration folks head home.

Also, there's a thriving business going which is a sort of insurance that is paid weekly, but guarentees a trip back to Puerto Plata from the frontier with Haiti. Round trip is about a week.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So they're deporting them but not doing anything to stop them from reentering?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So they're deporting them but not doing anything to stop them from reentering?
    They try. I've never seen the border, but I hear it's not well guarded in a lot of areas.

Anyways that "boomerang bus" has been delivering on their insurance policies. It's good advertising.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the government is genuinely trying to stop illegal immigration or only pretending to try in order to help dirty businesses?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

ex used to live in dajabon. Seen em come and go at will with no apparent checks. Of course, this could have been the "market day".

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a revolving door - they cross back over just as fast as they deport them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think the government is genuinely trying to stop illegal immigration or only pretending to try in order to help dirty businesses?
    I think they are making an honest attempt at enforcing their immigration laws. At least, some are.

People that you meet honestly want the Haitians deported. They are seen as dirty and everything wrong with their country. Diseased, infesting unfinished buildings, dark skinned. If you walk through some neighborhoods, the unfinished buildings are like a dystopian world with timid people hiding and peaking out behind make shift curtains.

But, their cheap labor is a boon to the economy.

I think the politicos are caught in the middle. The people have the votes but the business interests have the campaign donations. You end up with this farce of deportations balanced by illegal immigration. It's a human drama played out in many countries.

Just my opinion based on observation. I'm no authority on the subject.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they instituted the new residency regulations a couple of years ago just to be able to legally enforce this action. Haitians can't get documentation, so can't go through the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast