Wifi Extenders

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
When using wifi extenders do you lose the Internet connection momentarily as you move from "Router to Extender" and vice-versa?

Or does it maintain a solid Internet connection seamlessly?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Don

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Curious but why would one want to switch from one to the other? Only thing i can think of is if using a portable device and moving let's say from room to room. In this case it does take a few seconds to disconnect and reconnect so if downloading a file it would be momentarily disrupted............. me thinks

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The exteder i use my devices see the router and extender as two completely different Wi-Fi connections.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Curious but why would one want to switch from one to the other?

For instance using a smartphone and using wifi calling and/or Whatsapp.

The reason for the question is that my brother has a large backyard and the wifi signal does not cover all of it. Wanted to know in case using a second router vs a wifi extender would make any difference.

I have 2 wifi routers and I knew the router route loses the signal in the switch over.
They are far enough from each other that it´s not important, 2 different houses.

The router and extender would be too close to each other in my brothers case, thus creating constant switch overs in the house when not needed.

How to cover the backyard and not cause switch overs while in the house is the problem.

Thanks for the posts.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you use the same SSID you shouldn’t lose the connection. Is should smoothly change from one to the other router 

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you use the same SSID you shouldn’t lose the connection. Is should smoothly change from one to the other router 
I am not a techie but wouldn't you still have a delay disconnecting from one router and connecting to the other?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most wifi network managers will not auto switch to a device providing a stronger signal as you move around. If you move beyond the range of your router and the wifi signal drops, your computer will see the wifi network is available again (via the extender) and connect to it, if it has the same ssid and password as your router. When you go back in the house, you'll need to reconnect to your router if that's what you wish to do.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I too lose my signal, for seconds if I go out of range of one WIFI and into another. Increase your buffer value so it will download more info/files/TV in advance of the reconnect.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Isn't a wifi antenna hardwired back to the router? Providing a full strength signal further away from the router?
An extender is not hardwired back to router, correct?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......The reason for the question is that my brother has a large backyard and the wifi signal does not cover all of it. Wanted to know in case using a second router vs a wifi extender would make any difference..........

Here is a thought....... why not get one of the top of the line extenders with a large coverage area and stay connected to the extender when either in the yard or in the house. The range of most ISP routers are very limited compared to a quality extender.

Something like this claims 14,000 sq. ft. coverage........

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1MR90E3A&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag23575-20

Question:

Does this item clone the network name and password? Can I use more than one simultaneously?

Answer:

Yes either way. It will clone the network name or you can name it separately with a separate password. I prefer the latter so I know which one my device is connected to. You have to remember that this device sets up a whole new WiFi network beyond the range of the base WiFi network.. It doesn't expand the base WiFi network. Also the extended network is half the speed of the base network which usually isn't a problem unless you are moving a lot of data. see less
By Keith M. on December 7, 2014

See more answers (7)

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Something like this claims 14,000 sq. ft. coverage........

The key word there is "claim".

Just like the Family radio service walkie talkies.
They started out "claiming" about 5 miles range, now the "claims" are 30 miles or more.

The conditions to get that range is not reasonably feasible.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The key word there is "claim".

Just like the Family radio service walkie talkies.
They started out "claiming" about 5 miles range, now the "claims" are 30 miles or more.

The conditions to get that range is not reasonably feasible.

but in your application aren't you concerned about reception outside in the backyard? don't you think this extender would cover that area plus give reception in the house?

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
My cellphone switches automatically from my wi-fi extender back to the source wi-fi and I have yet to experience any delays. Maybe there is a momentary disruption but I haven'r experienced it with mine. My MacBook also seems to switch without delay but with my Microsoft Surface, the lag or delay is more pronounced. I hope this helps with your question.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My cellphone switches automatically from my wi-fi extender back to the source wi-fi and I have yet to experience any delays. Maybe there is a momentary disruption but I haven'r experienced it with mine. My MacBook also seems to switch without delay but with my Microsoft Surface, the lag or delay is more pronounced. I hope this helps with your question.

This is exactly my experience. 

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
but in your application aren't you concerned about reception outside in the backyard? don't you think this extender would cover that area plus give reception in the house?

The house is 2 stories and a basement, plus the outside walls are aluminum siding.
We will work on it and see what happens.

Thanks everyone.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
When using wifi extenders do you lose the Internet connection momentarily as you move from "Router to Extender" and vice-versa?

Or does it maintain a solid Internet connection seamlessly?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Don

I think this is exactly what you are looking for............

Mesh Wi-Fi
https://www.howtogeek.com/290418/what-are-mesh-wi-fi-systems-and-how-do-they-work/

or basic general info you probably already know

How can I get better Wi-Fi reception outside?
https://www.howtogeek.com/347507/how-can-i-get-better-wi-fi-reception-outside/