Another newbie

Hoosier

Jan 15, 2018
Hello Everyone

I'm a medically retired soldier living in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA.

I've lived in many countries around the world and I have an interest in living in Latin America/Carribean for a long time. I know a few different languages but almost no Spanish.

Despite that, I've bought a ticket and will be flying to Santiago on May 2. I'm not sure if it's enough to live on in the DR but I have a net monthly income of $3800 a month.

If I ask a lot of stupid questions in the future, please forgive me in advance.

All the best,

Hoosier

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello Everyone

I've lived in many countries around the world and I have an interest in living in Latin America/Carribean for a long time. I know a few different languages but almost no Spanish.

Despite that, I've bought a ticket and will be flying to Santiago on May 2. I'm not sure if it's enough to live on in the DR but I have a net monthly income of $3800 a month.

All the best,

Hoosier

Are you coming to the DR to live or just visit? If you are planning to come permanently you will need to apply for residency. This starts in the US. Search requirements on line and you will need to contact a DR Consulate in the US to get the process started. $3800usd is plenty of money to live well in the DR. Good luck and good travels.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Be very careful of the chica's. $3800 per month is plenty. If you do plan on living here take LTSteves advice on residency. Either way good luck and enjoy yourself.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Are you coming to the DR to live or just visit? If you are planning to come permanently you will need to apply for residency. This starts in the US. Search requirements on line and you will need to contact a DR Consulate in the US to get the process started. $3800usd is plenty of money to live well in the DR. Good luck and good travels.

Wlecome and totally agree with LTSteve, if you are planning to live here I hope that this trip its an exploratory, and search about the residency process. Read all the advises. With 3.800 monthly for sure you will very fine if at the end you decide to live here.

Donnad722

Mar 22, 2016
Hello Everyone

All the best,

Hoosier

Welcome! Before deciding to live here, it is best to visit and check the place out. You make enough money yes, if you are not a wild spender. Money goes fast if it not properly administered. BE CAREFUL OF THE WOMEN, DONT GET CARRIED AWAY. If you decide to stay, it is best to get your residency. All the best to you!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Welcome and thank you for your service. I too am from the states, have lived here for years and currently live in Santiago. Here is a good email address for me. Let me know when you get here and I'll be more than happy to show you around, give you the ins and outs.
gw@witcomllc.com

rosabblanco

Jul 8, 2010
Military family also in Santiago

Hello Everyone

All the best,

Hoosier

Hi;
My husband is also a retired American Vet. living in Santiago since YR 2000. You should have no problem living confortably on your monthly income. There is also a VA assistance facility here in Santiago that provides a great service for Vets and military families. They have been a great blessing to my husband for medical care and other benefits.  You will not be alone in Santiago...If you would like you can contact us any time for any questions...I will send you a PM with our contacts. Also there is an English speaking Christian church here if you would like some fellowship.   Regards

Rosa Pieczara

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Hi;
I will send you a PM with our contacts. Also there is an English speaking Christian church here if you would like some fellowship.   Regards

Rosa Pieczara

They need a minimum of 10 posts to use the PM function on DR1.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Welcome to DR1
All advice given is worth listening to. Excellent response.

Take Garyexpat up on his offer. I have never met him, but his postings give him great merit.
Do not get overwhelmed with the greatness of DR.... it is the most beautiful place on the Planet.

There are some of the most beautiful women on the planet here as well. Like I said ''do not get overwhelmed''.

Please do not post or make your pension information available publicly in the future.
One never knows who is reading the posts.
Keep it close to your wallet.

I also am a retired Military guy ; but from Canada.......
Good to hear you have a Veterans post here in DR.

Have a great time.
Russell