Question about language schools in Santiago

Hoosier

Jan 15, 2018
I'm coming to Santiago in May. I want to attend language school as soon as possible after arriving. I am interested in attending PUCMM. I wanted to ask if a complete beginner (no previous Spanish study) can enroll at PUCMM? Do they have beginner classes in their Spanish for foreigners program?

If I can't attend PUCMM right away due to start date or other reasons, how are the private programs such as ALPI or Berlitz?

Thanks in advance for the question. I realize there are threads on this topic, but I was asking to get updated information. If anyone knows the approximate cost of the various programs, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoosier

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
- Bump Post -

We have a moderator (Hillbilly) on the forum that works at PUCMM, once you reach 10 posts you could PM him and get first hand information.

I will try to PM him and advise him of your post.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you SantiagoDR for this alert.

Hoosier: the PUCMM does not currently offer Spanish for beginners. There are, however, several places where you can receive classes, and Berlitz is certainly one of them. Let me make a few phone calls and see what is being offered.

Stay tuned, I will get back here.

Cordially,

HB

There are certainly professors available for what would be private classes. I am trying to locate the boss-lady of this program.

Last edited:

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
HB is right - PUCMM doesn't offer baby Spanish, but their integration program for "second language" speakers is pretty decent. I recommend ISLA Language Academy in Santiago for learning spanish as a foreigner WITH THE INTENT of academic pursuit. ALPI has a good "I'm going to be a volunteer" spanish program. Berlitz is pricey. ISLA has two locations - one at the French Alliance, and one in Villa Olga. I would also recommend a mixture of group classes and private tutoring.