Having Villa built-in sosua and need some advice

regtr

Nov 22, 2017
Hi folks, I'm having a village built in sosua and finding it extremely difficult to furnish and purchase accessories. I'm interested to know if there is an area on this message board where people are leaving Dominican Republic looking to get rid of some of their small items specifically for decoration. The prices the stores charge are outrageous and more than double what we pay in the states. Any advice would be helpful.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, there are courier companies that will haul stuff in from the states are fairly reasonable rates. You set up an account with them, and when your item comes in they will usually email you and you pay the transportation, handling and customs fees. The items have to be less than $200 or you get hit with big customs duties.

Then there are boxes and barrels. If you currently live in an area where there are some Dominicans, there is probably a company nearby that will deliver boxes and barrels to your house in the DR. Boxes and barrels are both of a standard size and there is no weight limit and the cost is a set fee of 70, 80 or 90 dollars depending on where you are.

I do not know if you have been to places like Charo's Decoracions here in Santiago, or Ochoa Hogar, or Bellon...They have a lot of stuff for your house (but you have not said what it is that you are looking for).

Finally, there is "corotos" a website that sells everything.. you can check there...

Stay cool, you can find some surprising things at reasonable prices.

Cordially,

HB

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
For furniture, there are a few furniture builders around Sosua. One on your right leaving Sosua going towards POP. He's on a curve and hill, sorry, don't know the name of the little neighborhood. Another on the left in the next little town going towards pop. Maybe somebody else can give better details on their locations. They've both been there awhile.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
For furniture, there are a few furniture builders around Sosua. One on your right leaving Sosua going towards POP. He's on a curve and hill, sorry, don't know the name of the little neighborhood. Another on the left in the next little town going towards pop. Maybe somebody else can give better details on their locations. They've both been there awhile.

If he wants that cheap Dominican furniture then those places are OK but the quality is dubious.
Occasionally you can find quality on Corotos but the good stuff goes quick. A trip to Santiago or Santo Domingo may be in order - don't pay for all of it until delivery - keep the receipts and be willing to wait and wait some more. It took more than two weeks and half dozen calls to get some wicker chairs and table from Santiago a couple years ago. They like to promise the truck is on its way 'today' - but just know it isn't. Another time it was 10 days to get a cheap washer delivered from Puerto Chiquito, and I paid a delivery 'rush' charge.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I moved your post to the North Coast Forum, that may help

As others have suggested, www.corotos.com.do and www.lapulga.com.do might have what you’re looking for.  Often when people are leaving DR, they will place an ad here on DR1, but none right now.  

As hillbilly suggested, we shipped LOTS of our home furnishings via mundanza from NJ.  

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you have FB you can check "Everything Sosua". There's quite a variety of things for sale there.

Or you can post what you are looking for and many people may be able to help you.

Another alternative that a lot of people use is Ikea in Santo Domingo and Santiago too, I think. You can go and choose what you want and they will deliver. Reasonably priced.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Or you can post what you are looking for and many people may be able to help you.

Another alternative that a lot of people use is Ikea in Santo Domingo and Santiago too, I think. You can go and choose what you want and they will deliver. Reasonably priced.

Just picked up a few items from Ikea Santiago last week.
Fast, easy and good prices.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't remember the name of the shipper, I believe they have offices are in NJ and Florida. They have a wooden box, it's 4' x 4' x 8'. You pick up the pre-made panels. Assemble at your home with snap-on clips, fill it up, and they pick up. The price wasn't bad, I think around 350 or 400 usd total.

And you'd be amazed how much you can pack in that small space.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
First off, there are courier companies that will haul stuff in from the states are fairly reasonable rates. You set up an account with them, and when your item comes in they will usually email you and you pay the transportation, handling and customs fees. The items have to be less than $200 or you get hit with big customs duties.

Then there are boxes and barrels. If you currently live in an area where there are some Dominicans, there is probably a company nearby that will deliver boxes and barrels to your house in the DR. Boxes and barrels are both of a standard size and there is no weight limit and the cost is a set fee of 70, 80 or 90 dollars depending on where you are.

I do not know if you have been to places like Charo's Decoracions here in Santiago, or Ochoa Hogar, or Bellon...They have a lot of stuff for your house (but you have not said what it is that you are looking for).

Finally, there is "corotos" a website that sells everything.. you can check there...

Stay cool, you can find some surprising things at reasonable prices.

Cordially,

HB
I would also add Casa Cuesta, a division of CCN (think Supermercado Nacional) to your list. They have a very nice home store. There is a Casa Cuesta on Juan Pablo Duarte in the same plaza with Nacional.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Buy stuff that is made in the DR. If you buy imported stuff, it's taxed just like the vehicle and cost a lot more.