DR Gov Paying For Samana Highway

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I noticed in the news headlines that the DR Gov.is trying to re-negotiate the deal they made with a Colombian construction company, who built the SD-Samana Highway. Evidently not enough people are using the highway and paying tolls throughout the year and so the DR Gov is responsible for making up the difference in $$$$ to satisfy the contract agreed to prior to construction. The road is wonderful and was long needed but I get the feeling that this contract was flawed from the beginning and someones pockets got lined. The toll between El Catey and Las Terrenas was always way out of line. This is another example of the DR Gov agreeing to terms that now they don't like. It's no fault but their own. They also built an airport at El Catey that has no US flights landing there. If you want to build tourism you need to make it easily accessible t o those who want to go there. There are more than enough hotels on the Samana Peninsula to support this during high season. I guess that is why that the predominant number of tourists and ex-pats are from Europe.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it costs as much for the last leg to the peninsula as the whole trip from Las Americas hwy....
Total is +/- 1000 pesos
made of 500 + 500.

Personally, I avoid the new Samana stretch at least one way ... part being cheap & part making a statement

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I only use the last part to Las Terrenas if someone else is paying! Sometimes people want to pay because it is a beautiful road. Like WW above, I use the old mountain road usually for the same reasons. There must be a better balance to be found where they bring the cost down enough to make the road worth using for most people and the extra usage would make it more profitable.

The stretch from Las Americas to the north coast is reasonably priced, in my opinion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My engineer friends tell me that the high cost of building the Samana stretch is obvious --
hence the big toll.

So what ?? I say....both trips are enjoyable and scenic

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
My engineer friends tell me that the high cost of building the Samana stretch is obvious --
hence the big toll.

So what ?? I say....both trips are enjoyable and scenic

Yes, "enjoyable and scenic" is an added pleasure to the road. However, that does not take away the sour taste the public has with a government(s) having no concerns of fiscal responsibility when it is not hesitant to subsidize tolls, not hesitant to raise and invent new taxes to support a treasury that is always being raided.

Regards,

PJT

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Beautiful road, but the tolls are absurdly expensive.

I suppose the concept of "price point for maximum total revenues" escaped them. Lower the tolls significantly, and many more will use it.

Of course, motos are free...:D YAY!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, "enjoyable and scenic" is an added pleasure to the road. However, that does not take away the sour taste the public has with a government(s) having no concerns of fiscal responsibility when it is not hesitant to subsidize tolls, not hesitant to raise and invent new taxes to support a treasury that is always being raided.

Regards,

PJT

PJT can always take the old road both ways.

The LT to SD direction on the toll road is pretty...

The inward route = not so good
View is behind you

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Beautiful road, but the tolls are absurdly expensive.

I suppose the concept of "price point for maximum total revenues" escaped them. Lower the tolls significantly, and many more will use it.

Of course, motos are free...:D YAY!

Agree. Cut the toll in half, they'd likely get far more than twice the traffic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's still quite heavily traveled by people from the bay area
I - and the rest of the poorer population use it....

lots of traffic and a few villages.
Truthfully, I prefer that way but from Cabrera ---

it's the long way round

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The toll road has dedicated services to aid motorists in time of need. Highly unlikely you would receive similar assistance on the old mountain road. It may be acceptable for the experienced traveler or resident of RD, but not so much for the neophyte.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hahaha

I thought of that as I typed it...

ours gives a new meaning to it...

ours might be
'The Longest Way Round'

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Agree. Cut the toll in half, they'd likely get far more than twice the traffic.

That would certainly make sense in a normal country run with a bit of intelligence. Here I'm kinda surprised they haven't doubled it to $1000 pesos each direction to make more pesos faster. You know, the Dominican way.

I love that road & yes its expensive to drive on, unless U ride a moto - then Free!!

And LT Steve - I tried getting Jet Blue to re-start that great flight from JFK to AZS to no avail :(

I miss LT! I'll get back there some how, some day...

Miss riding to Samana, and the pool stop in El Limon.

I miss Luis' on the playa, playing pool at La Bomba - I miss sitting outside the bodega - (near La Bodega) & drinking frio Presidentes while listening to music from blown speakers. The French Bakery

Man I just MISS LT

Could U tell....

Last edited: