Barahona to Los Cacaos (San Cristobal)

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
I would take a caribe tours bus from Barahona to Santo Domingo and hop of in San Cristobal.

But then i don't know... (take a guagua ? , and where to get on the bus ?)

I didn't find a website of san cristobal , i also didn't even find where the big market is (indoor or outdoor)

thanks for helping out.

ps: i also read about San christobal being dangerous (guns) , and about murders

Tom

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well, the bus stop for Caribe Tours, assuming the bus from Barahona stops there, is smack in the center of the city, next to the big park.  The big Mercado is a few blocks away.  

We do all our shopping in San Cristobal, and I don’t find it any more dangerous than the rest of DR.  

If the bus is an express to SD, it will stay on the Baní-SD highway and totally bypass San Cristobal.  

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
The Express Bus might stop in Bani and from there you can take a very uncomfortable guagua to San Cristobal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
PS.  Have you been to Los Cacaos before?  How do you intend to get all the way there from San Cristobal?  I can’t imagine a bus, are there guaguas that go past Cambita?  

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've been there a couple of times, also beyond Los Cacaos to the Aguacate dam. The organisation I worked for had fair trade and agricultural diversification programmes with the coffee growers in the region. Very remote and beautiful.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I’ve never been past Cambita, so I looked at google maps.  Looks to be quite a bit further, and what a twisty-turny road!  

Yes, that road is quite a piece of work. Followed it once when I visited Harald Mossle at his Aubergine restaurant. You don't want to be up there in the dark, or when it rains or both.

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
No i havent been there , i havent been in the entire Caribbean region.
I was looking on google maps to find some nice green locations in the DR and stumbled upon Los Cacaos with it's lush nature.

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
I also 'think' the caribetours bus doesn't stop in san christobal. So i will have to take another bus back to SC.

there are guaguas going to Los cacaos. I read about it here:
https://
justinmott.wordpress.com/2012/07/30/first-week-in-los-cacaos/

I will find out where to go when i get there , i will ask locals for la ruta para Los Cacaos

about the murder:
https://www.facebook.com/LosCacaos/...5069752/1012201595509309/?type=3&theater[url]

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No i havent been there , i havent been in the entire Caribbean region.
I was looking on google maps to find some nice green locations in the DR and stumbled upon Los Cacaos with it's lush nature.

If you don’t mind my asking, what is your plan, only Barahona and Los Cacao? Going to Bahia de las Aguilas? Backpacking?  Hotels, airb&b or hostels?  

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
If you don’t mind my asking, what is your plan, only Barahona and Los Cacao? Going to Bahia de las Aguilas? Backpacking?  Hotels, airb&b or hostels?  

i posted my travelplan in the 'my introduction' section.

planning for airbnb & hostels & private rooms , with only handluggage.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
i posted my travelplan in the 'my introduction' section.

planning for airbnb & hostels & private rooms , with only handluggage.

The DR is big for a Caribbean Island Nation. Your plans seem to be a little over the top, especially given the fact that you are not familiar with anything in the DR. Do you have any Spanish language skills? That would be helpful if you plan on trekking to the middle of nowhere. Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm but getting around in the countryside of a third world country can have many challenges. Let us all know how it went. Good luck and good travels.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Try Jarabacoa for lush green nature and easy to get to. You whitewater raft, ride horses and probably ATV