Dominican view of cousin/cousin relationships.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Hello everyone! So, I've always heard of the saying, "los primos se priman", which I always thought meant that they can get it on or something along those lines. Anyhow, what is the view of second, third or even first cousins 'once removed' within Dominican society? I am aware that this is has happened and it might be too common.

My view has always been that in such a big world and there being so many options that this was unnecessary. If anyone would like to chime in please do so.

affald

May 17, 2004
Dominicans are not animals, they do not screw family members.

They have self control and wait until marriage to a non blood relative of legal age.

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I am by no means insinuating that this is just a Dominican thing. I am aware this happens in other cultures as well.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Lemme guess , you just discovered that your Novia is sleeping with the guy she used to claim to you was her Primo ?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Lemme guess , you just discovered that your Novia is sleeping with the guy she used to claim to you was her Primo ?

And your guess is WAY off....as a matter of fact although I am Dominican myself I can count on one hand how many Dominican women I have dated. Again, not to say that this cannot happen to another culture.
Anyhow, why do people automatically assume the worst whenever someone asks a question? But no...I am not dating someone who just cheated on me with a so called primo. It has nothing to do with that.

Last edited:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From what I know/heard this happens quite often here in the DR and it doesn't seem to be much of a big deal to anybody.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Dominicans are not animals, they do not screw family members.

They have self control and wait until marriage to a non blood relative of legal age.
With your "Tongue in Cheek",
You forgot to "Bite your Tongue" :lick: lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From what I know/heard this happens quite often here in the DR and it doesn't seem to be much of a big deal to anybody.

Really???? Quite often??  I’ve never, ever, heard anything like that.  Not saying it never happens, but certainly can’t be that common if Mr AE and I have never heard of even one case.  His view of that “saying” is that cousins are like brothers and sisters, very close, certainly not sexually.  

Sometimes I have to wonder if we live in a different DR.  

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A lot of cousin marriages in my husband's family up until a couple of generations ago.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know my wife's family has several cousins that are married to each other, but they are like third cousins. When I was in the Military one of the French Canadian guys that I worked with told that when he got married his wife introduced him to her cousin, that was also his cousin; meaning they didn't know they were related until after they got married.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A lot of cousin marriages in my husband's family up until a couple of generations ago.

Seems I stand corrected.  

I know my wife's family has several cousins that are married to each other, but they are like third cousins. When I was in the Military one of the French Canadian guys that I worked with told that when he got married his wife introduced him to her cousin, that was also his cousin; meaning they didn't know they were related until after they got married.

Even the Catholic Church permits marriage between third cousins.  I thought the OP meant first cousins. 

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I don't what country some people live in here, but its quite common for cousins to marry cousins here in the DR. I have a cousin in politics here married to his first cousin. They have two children: one is soon to be a doctor, and the other is soon to be an engineer. On top of that, My father has severals cousins that married 2nd & 3rd cousins in Bonao back when he was growing up in the 1930's, 40's, and 50's.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I can imagine that the Primo or the Prima in many cases was / is the "primero" or the "primera" too, :D

But that happens all over the world, this is not only a Dominican thing.

One of my GF's in my youth was a third cousin of mine too...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sorry, this is not normal to poke your cousin, I don't care how many X removed.