TOM

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
Hi,
I'm Tom , a 30yo Belgian.
I will be traveling the DR , solo, for 2 weeks in february 2018.
First time in the Carribean.
Basic spanish knowledge.
adventurous.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Punta cana - Santo Domingo - Barahona - (Los Cacaos)-(La Vega) - Puerto Plata/sosua - Cabarete - Las Terrenas - Samana - Las Galeras - (santo domingo) - Punta cana

Wow, very enterprising for a two week stay.  You may want to reconsider trying to see all that, you’ll spend half your vacation on buses.  

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
Wow, very enterprising for a two week stay.  You may want to reconsider trying to see all that, you’ll spend half your vacation on buses.  

true :)

but like in Punta cana I arrive late and only sleep for the night, and get away first in the morning.
Santo domingo 2nights
barahona (san rafael)2 nights
los cacaos 1 night or 2 (still considering)
La vega (will probably skip that)
puerto plata 1 night (maybe skip that night too , i just want to go in that cable car on isabel de torres)
Sosúa 1 night
Cabarete 1 night
the whole samana peninsula - few days
santo domingo/punta cana 1 night to get back and to catch my flight back on time

14days

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Welcome to the RD.
I am already tired reading your itinerary!!

Like in all foreign visits in the world.
Be cautious and smart.
When I was a world traveler I did the same as you. Always on the go-to.

Don't blame you, Belgium is cold this time of the year.
Have fun.

Russell

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

but like in Punta cana I arrive late and only sleep for the night, and get away first in the morning.
Santo domingo 2nights
puerto plata 1 night (maybe skip that night too , i just want to go in that cable car on isabel de torres)
Sosúa 1 night
Cabarete 1 night
santo domingo/punta cana 1 night to get back and to catch my flight back on time

14days

1 night to go back to SD then Punta Cana - can't be done on buses. Better book that for 2 days

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
yeah, Belgium is cold and wet at the moment. :)

I want to be on the go-to ,
for me it's not just a relax-vacation on the beach.

thanks for the advice.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

Santo domingo 2nights
Sosúa 1 night
Cabarete 1 night

14days

You can't plan your time here in the Dominican Republic like you do in Europe!
It simply doesn't work that way....here everything is different!
Enjoy your stay.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can't plan your time here in the Dominican Republic like you do in Europe!
It simply doesn't work that way....here everything is different!
Enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately, I agree. When I was a kid, there was a movie about people who went to Europe and saw about 5 countries in a week...I think it was called “If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium”, or something similar.  It’s what came to mind when Tom outlined his proposed itinerary.

Tom, I hope you have fun, please come back and tell us about your trip afterwards.

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
Unfortunately, I agree. When I was a kid, there was a movie about people who went to Europe and saw about 5 countries in a week...I think it was called “If it’s Tuesday, this must be Belgium”, or something similar.  It’s what came to mind when Tom outlined his proposed itinerary.

Tom, I hope you have fun, please come back and tell us about your trip afterwards.
Hehe, thanks.
I will try to watch that movie before i go.
i'll keep u updated.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn A0001 met Tapatalk

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...Hola Tom....you might try this plan..stay in Cabarete or Sosua as a home base...and take side trips from there..

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
I'm having one of the best vacations yet !

Currently in the remotely Los Cacaos , such a green lush tropical area , it's astonishing. It took sole guaguas to get here but it's woth it. Im the only gringo here. :)

The dominican people are helpful , you just have to talk spanish to them (i allready learned alot this way).
At first they stare at you or ignore you, until your say a polite buen día and they open up.

I'm still following my itinary, it's OK to do it thuis fast, but i will return in the future to spend more time on the best spots.

Nighttime is indeed dangerous in the streets :) thats what most people here agree with.

San Rafael is realy beautiful too, the sea , the Mountains, the lush vegetation , almost no tourists.

Santo Domingo was nice too

Transportation is top notch, tour bus for long distance, many guaguas connecting medium distance and crazy motoconchos for fast/short distance.
I allready pointed out some new spots to visit later (que bueno este país!)

In Quisqueya for another 7 days...

Hasta luego

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BelgiumTom

Jan 24, 2018
It was a great travel and i didn't had any problems at all.

I will travel around there again , maybe next year.

good thing i had my visa card with me ,
because my regular bankcard didn't work for some reason. (allthough i asked my bank to check to card to work in the dominican..)

I also bought a cellphone card there 'chin' from claro. you need to register at the big office.

by the way: in the airport (Punta Cana) you can also eat 'la bandera' (arroz con habichuela y pollo) , i asked around to some people that worked there, they showed me the way and i eventualy ate with them at an unmarked comedor under the airport. (wich was better then the snackbar in the mainhall)

And i did plan my time like in Europe, it works just like that , timings were correct , and there were even more connections to go to places. I realy love that kind of transport (and the price)

hasta luego

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
yeah, Belgium is cold and wet at the moment. :)

I want to be on the go-to ,
for me it's not just a relax-vacation on the beach.

thanks for the advice.

we neeed more people like you, that go out of the resorts, still most of the people just come to stay at the beach. Good thing is that now started to promote whole country including Santo Domingo. Welcome Tom and Enjoy, and as every part in the world have a common sense.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for your travel report. Not too many people come back to DR1 to do that any more.
I am so glad you had a nice vacation going to see many places in the DR.