Words, phrases and expressions of the week- January 27, 2018

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
This is the last week of this series. The theme behind the words, phrases and expressions I chose this week is simple. If it sounded uncommon but definitely understood it made the list. Honestly, a few of the words made me laugh. I thought who speaks likes this everyday? Really? However, I love the usage and vocabulary. I always admire a notable good command of language. It’s not easy.

The words came from three different articles and the same paper El Mundo.es:
http://www.elmundo.es/internacional/2018/01/26/5a6b43a246163f98478b45e0.html
http://www.elmundo.es/internacional/2018/01/27/5a6c727aca47415e5d8b4610.html
http://www.elmundo.es/internacional/2018/01/27/5a6ca3d2e5fdeaeb5d8b45f4.html

If you find these words in other newspapers or readings you can post the example of usage or be innovative and make your own phrase.

Here we go.

1) De momento – a simple phrase like this is not common in everyday speech in my experience. Por ahora which is the equivalent is much preferred.

2) Un destacamento

3) Arbόreas (the adjective is arbόreo/a)

4) A mansalva

5) (la) Urbe

6) La cuantía  

7) La jornada

Dictionary:

http://www.wordreference.com/

Bonus exercise:

As you all know in the Spanish-speaking world there are a lot of word variations especially in Latin America because of its history. However, in most cases there is a generic word that can be used. I have provided the local version of the word for kite meaning used in the DR. Without browsing the web, provide another word for kite used in the Spanish-speaking world. When the week is over I will provide a list of variations. I know five variations which include the standard word for kite in Spanish.

Kite- DR- chichigua

How do you say kite in other Latin countries?

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The five words for kite in Spanish that I know are:

1) cometa- most generic

2) papalote

3) papelote

4) papagayo

5) chichigua

I will add a full list later on.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The names I've heard most often are cometa, papagayo and chichigua.

This week I came across a new one in a text from El Salvador - piscucha.

Straw (drinking straw) is another item with several different names in Spanish. One in particular might cause comical misunderstandings.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The names I've heard most often are cometa, papagayo and chichigua.

This week I came across a new one in a text from El Salvador - piscucha.

Straw (drinking straw) is another item with several different names in Spanish. One in particular might cause comical misunderstandings.

Yes, words for straw vary in Spanish to point where it is best to ask what the local word is before saying it. You may recall, I started a thread back in the day when we did not have a Spanish forum and it was included in the discussion. Piscucha is on the list that I will post later on.

Other words in the Spanish-speaking world with many variations are:

Sweater
Pencil/Pen
Bus
Peas- fruits and vegetables in general
Corner store 
Baby bottle 
Money- slang variations
Glasses (eye glasses)
T-shirt

Just to name a few.

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll make a start:

Sweater
- jersey (pronounced harSAY) in Spain, chompa (from the British "jumper" or vice versa?) in Peru, abrigo in DR, suéter in several Latin American countries

Pencil/Pen
- pluma, lápiz, lapicero, bolígrafo

Bus
- guagua in the Spanish Caribbean and the Canary Islands, bus/autobús in most places, camión in Mexico, autocar

Peas - guisantes, petit pois, arvejas - fruits and vegetables in general - I wrote a series of articles about this - you helped me with it!

Corner store - colmado, bodega, pulpería, venta, tienda, estanco

Baby bottle - biberón (most places), teta (S. America)

Money- slang variations
- reales and pisto (Central America), plata (South America), cuartos (DR), pelas, perras (Spain)

Glasses (eye glasses)
- anteojos, gafas, lentes

T-shirt
- franela, t-shirt, camiseta,

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Money: chelitos, no tengo ni uno, no hay nada (na)
T-shirt; poloshe (sp?). Franela I think is more like a vest.

Matilda

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Chiri,

No sabía que ibas a contester pero bueno voy a jugar sin mirar en internet.

Según las variaciones que conozco en español (también mi manera de decir las palabras):

1) Sweater

Suéter, chompa

2) Pencil/ Pen

Lápiz, lapicero/ pluma, bolígrafo, boli

3) Bus

autobús, ómnibus, guagua

4) Peas

guisantes, arvejas /Fruits and vegetables- when in Rome 'say what the Romans say'. Yes, I made up my own saying.

5) Corner store

bodega, colmado, abarrotería

6) Baby bottle

Biberón, mamadera- interesting word when I heard it. It was said to me- pásame la mamadera. I had two seconds to react and I thought to myself interesting word but I never forgot it after that day.

7) Money

plata y dinero -siempre para mí. I also know cuarto, chele, chavo, fula

8) Glasses

gafas, lentes and anteojos (I know the word but never use it)

9) T-shirt

camiseta

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A nadie le gustan las palabras de la semana.

De momento el fin de semana va muy bien muy tranquilo para mí a ver lo que pasa mañana.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
13 words for kite for Spanish

[video=youtube;YO867TwMBCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO867TwMBCM[/video]

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

If you find these words in other newspapers or readings you can post the example of usage or be innovative and make your own phrase.

3) Arbόreas (the adjective is arbόreo/a)

My own phrase:

El mapache es un animal arbóreo.

5) (la) Urbe

From the NY Times en español:

Pero después de una sequía que ya lleva tres años, considerada la peor en un siglo, los funcionarios sudafricanos dicen que la ciudad está en riesgo de convertirse en una de las pocas grandes urbes del mundo en quedarse sin agua para las tuberías de hogares y negocios.

6) La cuantía  

My own phrase:

No sé la cuantía de dinero que ganó pero fue sucificiente para jubilarse.

Dictionary:

http://www.wordreference.com/

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
How about the variations for popcorn?

If you have a mixed group of Spanish-speaking friends it is best to use the generic word palomitas de maíz.

How many words do you know without researching on the web?

My list of words

1) palomitas de maíz - most generic

2) palomitas

3) cotufas- Venezuela

4) crispetas

5) maíz reventado

6) popcorn

-MP.

Sep 4, 2012
Palomitas de maiz and Pop Corn are the only two terms I've ever heard anyone referring to when it comes to Palomitas de maiz or Pop Corn?

I have never been in Venezuela however....

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Palomitas de maiz and Pop Corn are the only two terms I've ever heard anyone referring to when it comes to Palomitas de maiz or Pop Corn?

I have never been in Venezuela however....

You don’t need to travel to a country to learn some of the local vocabulary. Language learning in today’s world is different from decades ago. There are many options available especially with Spanish being the official language of twenty countries. 

You can acquire vocabulary the following ways:

1) by having Spanish-speaking friends from all over the Spanish-speaking world

2) read in Spanish- the vocabulary you acquire is limitless

3) television- the news alone will enable you to increase your vocabulary

4) if you have Spanish co-workers that is a plus  

5) use your resources- the dictionary, the internet which has a wealth of language related info.

The variations I listed I have heard used by friends or I just asked them - como dicen uds. xxx.

-MP.

Sep 4, 2012
See, therein lies the problem -- I've friends and acquaintances from everywhere in Latin America and the Caribbean but have yet to hear anything different for Palomitas de maiz or Pop Corn, truly?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
See, therein lies the problem -- I've friends and acquaintances from everywhere in Latin America and the Caribbean but have yet to hear anything different for Palomitas de maiz or Pop Corn, truly?

Which is okay. If you ever hear it now you will be familiar. That is not a problem. It’s just different opportunities, exposure and experiences. When it comes to Spanish there is a lot out there.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I am in the middle reading a newspaper from Argentina and two local words for bus are in the same article:

el micro and el colectivo

I have heard them both before but forgot about them until now since they are not words I use for bus nor hear on a daily basis.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've heard those names too, but not in Argentina. Microbus or micro, nicknamed "micro asesinos" - but can't remember which country. In Venezuela there is also "por puesto".

Another word for popcorn is cocalecas.