Rain, rain, go away...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those of us who live here know that it has been raining off and on for over a week. Yesterday and again today, strong wind gusts are bending banana trees in my yard. I have standing water on top of the grass in places. Need to dig a trench but that's not happening as it fills with water faster than I can dig.

I have a sunken utility room that has three feet of water in it as the floor drain no longer can carry the water away. I'm terrified that the power will go out for a significant period of time preventing the sump pump from keeping my basement dry - yes stupid me lives in a house with a below grade basement.

Thankfully the periods of heavy rain are just that, periods of heavy rain. If this was a continuous rain, I'd need an ark. I wonder were all this water is going, it's certainly not being absorbed into the ground any longer?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My drainage system has been tested -- and failed.

Unclogged the drains and we're back in business.

Quite a bit of rain & wind !!!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm snuggled under my duvet binge watching TV.  Currently on the latest series of Vikings.

It has been a cold / wet winter this year.  But not as wet as last year.......yet.  But certainly colder.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There has been no off in Jarabacoa. Steady rain ( with small periods of drizzle) . Drove to Constanza yesterday , through banks of fog and heavy rain and winds. Constanza only rain but not super hard. Still managed to enjoy. Raining rather hard most of the night and still raining.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Every time we turn on the TV and get interested in a movie the big black clouds roll in with heavy rain and it kills the satellite signal.
Why is it the only time a person wants to watch TV it's raining outside and the satellites won't work. We don't have a choice where we live so today it's cleaning or cards.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never heard of a house here with a basement.

Power is off where I am and Edenorte is not coming to fix it despite numerous report numbers.
I also found out they lied to us about upgrading our development to 24/7 power. We will be the only
place in Cabarete without it.

I gave up on satellite TV and went with IPTV.

Bottom line is that it's a normal winter.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Rain is Sosua is a series of heavy squalls with stiff winds.
Everytime this happens I am happy to have ended up on a hill. This is a great test for filtration. Thought I had it licked. Even the windows are leaking in this mess.
Tons of visiting family drained our cistern with over use.
Lights went off last night about midnight. Amazingly Edenorte fixed it in about two hours and in the pouring rain.
Car battery died last night from ignition switch problem that let the door ajar warning bell go all night. Now ignition switch will not move, car is not going anywhere on a Sunday.
Almost afraid to say it but about the only thing we do have is lights and our health.
Living here I have learned when to just give up without any stress or struggle. No more rage against the darkness.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The rain is playing havok on the Lidom Championship Series.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Wind and rain, endless.

About 250' of 6" PVC and a 2' X 2' deep French drain in my front yard solved my drainage issues though[emoji41]

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
But if it wasn't for the rain the North Coast wouldn't be so lush, it would be well...Punta Cana

[video=youtube;z5zZKawkcBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zZKawkcBU[/video]

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It could have been, and should have been a lovely round of golf this morning at Teeth of the Dog, but the stiff breezes wreaked havoc upon my game. Now enjoying a lovely afternoon of lunch and cocktails at Dreams-La Romana, admiring the white, puffy, cumulus clouds. Truly amazing how disparate the meteorological conditions can be for the RD.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... Need to dig a trench but that's not happening as it fills with water faster than I can dig. ...

You need to dig the trench in reverse, from the lowest elevation backward to the highest elevation.

That way it won't fill up. :laugh: lol

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Lucky me just got a cement job done on the leading-to-the carport entrance.
Water tended to form pools :( cement would go green and/or peel away.......

So these last few days of rain have abled me to check out that everything flows where I want it to go :)

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Months from now, y'all will be whining about the dry conditions. an ole sarge once told me, " You'd bitch if we hung you with a new rope".

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The rain is causing problems with the Dominican baseball championship butting up against the Caribbean series.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
But if it wasn't for the rain the North Coast wouldn't be so lush, it would be well...Punta Cana

[video=youtube;z5zZKawkcBU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5zZKawkcBU[/video]

Man, did that ever bring back memories.
Let it rain, I remember far too well the several years of drought here; when the cows looked like skeletons.
Yes it is lush, muddy and , wet and windy here on North Coast.
But there is snow, cold and ice with high winds back home in Nova Scotia.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
[video=youtube;cK5G8fPmWeA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA[/video]

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
How quickly people forget. Rains like this are already starting to flood out a lot of barrios. It's more than just something to whine about for them.