Foreigners Driving in The Dominican Republic

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What are, if any, the new requirements for foreigners to drive in the Dominican Republic using their foreign driving license for a short period of stay following the introduction of Ley 63-17?

Previously it was understood that one could drive on a foreign driving license for a period of no more than 90 days as Ley 241. Is this still valid?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’d like a legal opinion on a second, related question.  My husband is Dominican, but only has an American license, his Dominican one expired 40 years ago (but he still has it!  :) ).  Is a Dominican with a foreign license subject to rules for foreigners or Dominicans?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What are, if any, the new requirements for foreigners to drive in the Dominican Republic using their foreign driving license for a short period of stay following the introduction of Ley 63-17?

Previously it was understood that one could drive on a foreign driving license for a period of no more than 90 days as Ley 241. Is this still valid?
I understaad a foreign driver's license expires with the tourist card.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I understaad a foreign driver's license expires with the tourist card.

I think these are increasingly important questions with the introduction of INTRANT and new transportation law last year, and I await the legal opinion.

Post #2 is also very important and applies to many Dominicans residing in the USA and other countries and who return from time to time. I suspect the new law does allow for validation of these licences.

Having spent some time currently working alongside loss adjusters, insurance companies and the under writers (remember a significant amount of insurance is still under written by Lloyds), it is clear to me that many claims get audited at all levels and if there are breaches of the policy conditions and it gets picked up, the policy does not pay. For a serious accident that could be as significant event for someone. All the motor insurance policies I have seen here specifically exclude cover if you don't have a valid driving licence.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The new law really doesn't say much:

Artículo 207.- Licencia de conducir extranjera. Los titulares de una licencia de conducir extranjera que residan en el país podrán solicitar la expedición de una acreditación nacional cuando el documento extranjero mantenga su vigencia, y previo cumplimiento de las formalidades que mediante el reglamento correspondiente establezca el INTRANT.

Foreign driver's license. Holders of a foreign driver's license who reside in the country may request the issuance of a national accreditation while the foreign document remains valid, and after compliance with the formalities established by INTRANT through the corresponding regulations.

Based on that, I would say there's more to follow. No reference in the new law to tourists visiting the country, only the above.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
This is what the old law (241) states. I have no idea if there was another law after that to modify it though:

a) Toda persona que este debidamente autorizada para conducir un vehículo de motor en cualquier país extranjero donde se exijan requisitos similares a los establecidos por esta ley para la concesión de Licencias de Conductor, y que posea y lleve consigo una Licencia y en vigor en dicho país extranjero, estará autorizada para conducir tal tipo de vehículos de motor en la República Dominicana, durante los primeros noventa (90) días desde su arribo.

a) Any person who is duly authorized to drive a motor vehicle in any foreign country where are requirements similar to those established by this law for the concession of Driver Licenses, and that they own and carry a valid License of said foreign country, will be authorized to drive such type of vehicles in the Dominican Republic, during the first ninety (90) days after their arrival.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure that is still the active law. But on day 91 if you are in a traffic accident you will be at fault as you should not have been driving. It does not matter if the other guy was drunk, doing a 100mph in the wrong lane. You will be at fault.
Every time you leave the DR the 90 day clock resets.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think these are increasingly important questions with the introduction of INTRANT and new transportation law last year, and I await the legal opinion.

Post #2 is also very important and applies to many Dominicans residing in the USA and other countries and who return from time to time. I suspect the new law does allow for validation of these licences.

Having spent some time currently working alongside loss adjusters, insurance companies and the under writers (remember a significant amount of insurance is still under written by Lloyds), it is clear to me that many claims get audited at all levels and if there are breaches of the policy conditions and it gets picked up, the policy does not pay. For a serious accident that could be as significant event for someone. All the motor insurance policies I have seen here specifically exclude cover if you don't have a valid driving licence.
My DR policy will not pay if I don't have a valid drivers licence.

I doubt any car insurance issued anywhere in the world backed by the secondary markets would include liability of operators without a valid licence.

A non-resident's drivers licence is not valid after the DR tourist card is no longer valid. However, some non-residents say this is not so citing anecdotes.

Seems pretty simple to me, and it's old news.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

This is not a legal opinion. I got stopped for making an illegal U-Turn, and presented my residency, cedula, and U.S. driver's license. The AMET officer reminded me that the U.S. driver's license is only good for 90 days. Fortunately, I just renewed the residency, and he accepted the argument. I still got the ticket, though. LOL