Conan O'Brien's visit to Haiti

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I admire all those that are enamored with Haiti, but at the same time, I question why they do not choose to reside or vacation there if those feelings are indeed legitimate?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I admire all those that are enamored with Haiti, but at the same time, I question why they do not choose to reside or vacation there if those feelings are indeed legitimate?

This is why Charities are such a great SCAM... People do not actually want to get their hands dirty, or go in person to feed anyone .. Most people are not cut out to ever join the Peace Corps , not even in their best years , on their best days..

But, EVERYONE needs to feel better about themselves .. like they are actually doing something..
and along come the Charities , to help you FEEL exactly that way ...
remove some of the guilt, just send us some of your money,
and Magically you "Helped"

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Does one need to be enamored with, or want to reside or vacation in, a country to care about the well-being of that country's people?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does one need to be enamored with, or want to reside or vacation in, a country to care about the well-being of that country's people?
No, but one does not have to live in denial of the truth, either.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Not a fan of Conan nor his "humor", but I did watch the video. I commend his half-assed attempt at a poke in the eye of IQ45

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Conan O’Brien Praises Haiti in Viral Ocean Shot — Where Cholera in the Water Has Killed Nearly 10,000

conan-obrien-haiti-600x450.jpg

1ef789a1589e88cd12e078253cf89d88776ee36a2960d17007cbd79b2244a01c.jpg

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I wonder why he didn't bring the Clinton's and Anderson. I guess they got as much coverage and freebies as they could.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I relate it to why Canadians and Americans have a dislike of the native indigenous population. They are similar to the Haitians. Just how much money and services do you keep throwing at these people before they start accepting responsibility for themselves.
The Haitians here are not contributing to anything, they just suck the life out this country like they did their own and expect more.
It's time to cut them off. It's not hate, it's called responsibility.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How much time, effort, and money have you personally contributed to helping the Haitians here in the DR. It's nice to sit back and criticise and tell everyone to give more.
It's another thing to get off your butt and help out for a few years and see your efforts are a waste of time as these people have a sense of entitlement that puts Paris Hilton to shame.
But your point of "screw them and let them rot" has some validity to it.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I notice he didn't film any of the real " nice" parts of Haiti.
Apparently, that's not the 'real' Haiti.

I never understand when people use 'real' in that sense. As if a country can't have many facets and all are equally real.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
How much time, effort, and money have you personally contributed to helping the Haitians here in the DR. It's nice to sit back and criticise and tell everyone to give more.
It's another thing to get off your butt and help out for a few years and see your efforts are a waste of time as these people have a sense of entitlement that puts Paris Hilton to shame.
But your point of "screw them and let them rot" has some validity to it.

I have been there, a few times. I have seen good things, I have seen things destroyed by a corrupt government. Most Haitians I know are extremely hard, honest workers. I was married to a Haitian.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been there, a few times. I have seen good things, I have seen things destroyed by a corrupt government. Most Haitians I know are extremely hard, honest workers. I was married to a Haitian.

Is it a corrupt government that is throwing all that **** in the water and on the streets. I have been in a few ****holes, Egypt, Somalia, Djibouti, parts of Colombia and Honduras, the Philippines, India and Pakistan, where trash is everywhere. No where have I seen it worse than Haiti.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Haiti is the ultimate s***hole that all are compared to. Next time your in the USA or Canada drive through a reserve. I think they are trying to compete with the Haitians for how bad can we make it before they throw us a few more billion.
Until responsibly becomes the key factor it's never going to improve.