AIRBNB

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good day,

Is AIRBNB allowed in the DR?
Is it used successfully here, especially in Santo Domingo?

Thank you.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
AIRBNB, VRBO, Flipkey, they all work here. If you are an owner screen the renters. I have noticed a lot of professional renters that threaten bad reviews if you don't jump when they whine.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
It is used, it is reasonable and I have used it on more than one occasions instead of hotels in Santo Domingo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AIRBNB, VRBO, Flipkey, they all work here. If you are an owner screen the renters. I have noticed a lot of professional renters that threaten bad reviews if you don't jump when they whine.

Absolutely true. Started out where the clients were all very good. Now there is a significant per centage of very, very odd people. Just like life in general.

Airbnb has essentially taken over the market. Huge, gigatnice, very big, they are.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Just go onto the Airb&b site. It is very easy to use and a quick search will show you where they are available. I have found the descriptions of the properties to be very accurate and the hosts to be friendly and helpful.

I use them a lot in the capital and have had mostly very good luck. There have been some shady middlemen who tried to convince me to pay in cash and they should be avoided. Always pay through the Airb&b site.

They work by reputation. You will be rated and your host will be rated.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

We used to use Airbnb quite a bit, and if I recall correctly, no funds are transferred to the owner before 24 hours have passed from the start of the rental period, so if there's anything about which the renter would like to "whine", they should of course do that when they receive keys and inspect everything?

As it's pointed below, the renters and the owners are both rated, so I'd assume that if one particular renter does not carry a good reputation (homework for owners), then it would not be a good idea to rent to that person...

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
before I bought my own apt ...I used airbnb and found it excellent .....maybe I got lucky with good owners .... I did notice one particular apt I used regularly.....someone had posted bad reviews about noise ect ....I stayed in it numerous times and it was very quiet at all times

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
That's because ''someone who posted bad reviews'' was no longer there. Makes it quieter.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We first used AIRBNB in Las Terrenas & Samana back in 2015.  There were about a dozen places listed in SD at that time. Certainly more now I would assume.  I have never had a bad experience with it in the DR.  Other countries, yes.  

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
JUst stayed in Santiago last week in Airbnb.  Next week will be inn SANto Domingo. A small discount for a week stay. 

Airbnb is only good for long stays imho. 

Go for “business ready” filter option. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JUst stayed in Santiago last week in Airbnb.  Next week will be inn SANto Domingo. A small discount for a week stay. 

Airbnb is only good for long stays imho. 

Go for “business ready” filter option. 

We have had clients from Airbnb stay from one night to six months. Airbnb has especially given the hotel nightly business model some severe competition. It was originally started because of the lack of hotel rooms in San Francisco during conventions exposed a need for more local accommodations. Now it is far bigger than any hotel chain.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have had clients from Airbnb stay from one night to six months. Airbnb has especially given the hotel nightly business model some severe competition. It was originally started because of the lack of hotel rooms in San Francisco during conventions exposed a need for more local accommodations. Now it is far bigger than any hotel chain.

Do you find you get repeat business?  And do they contact you directly on follow up stays?  

We like to spend time out in Dominucus, and after finding a guy who has lots of places available for rent, we just WhatsApp him directly when we want to get away.  Just wondered how common that is.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you find you get repeat business?  And do they contact you directly on follow up stays?  

We like to spend time out in Dominucus, and after finding a guy who has lots of places available for rent, we just WhatsApp him directly when we want to get away.  Just wondered how common that is.  

Very little repeat business compared to other previous rental sites for us, but I am sure what you describe happens frequently for others.

Some have also figured out to rent for a sort time using Airbnb, and then go directly with us for extended stays.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I use airbnb for one night stays all the time. I look for features like the view. I try to be a good guest and frequently give the host some free 360* camera photos.

Once we stayed in a place with an amazing outdoor balcony...and two security cameras watching...they weren't hidden but still, first thing I did was put a t shirt over them both...don't need anybody getting a free show.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
One point worth noting about AirBnb compared to hotels is that hotels have to charge a 10% Service Charge (Propina Legal) and 18% ITBIS. AirBnB rentals generally don't charge or pay these. I am aware that DGII is looking at this as the association of hotels has complained about it, and it may be that they get AirBnBs more regulated and somehow paying tax.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Good day,

Is AIRBNB allowed in the DR?
Is it used successfully here, especially in Santo Domingo?

Thank you.

I used AIRBNB in Santo Domingo as well as timeshare weeks when I owned one. It helps to know the area. I booked a one bedroom in Gascue, and it was nice. There are locations near the Acuarium, too. It you like hot water, you want to ask prior to booking. It is not a given. Also, I like a mattress pad on my bed. If I like the place and it does not have one, then I bring my own. Some of the AIRBNB locations are the same as timeshare locations.