Long empty beach - is it safe to move away from resort?

GeorgePL

Jan 30, 2018
Soon me and my wife will be staying in Bavaro. We have a romantic plan to make o long walk from resort to Macao Beach along beautiful beach which seems to be empty basing on pictures of this area I found on the Internet and the satellite view.

And tthe question - is it safe go from Bavaro to Macao Beach...? In case of some assault we would be helpless. I heard that Punta Cana is in general safe place, but 5 kilometers of empty beach might be temping for locals to wait for "lost" tourists. I wouldn't like to misjudge DR's society, but you know in each country and city there are dome black sheep.

Thank for answers!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know that exact area, but my general rule for the DR is go where you like - just don't carry anything worth stealing, or more money than you need.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I wouldn't do it. There's a long stretch of undeveloped land to the east of Macao (I'm assuming you're staying to the east of Macao) where you may or may not meet up with anyone although I know some excursions occasionally go through here. Also, just before Macao beach there's a elevated area with a cliff that you won't be able to cross so you won't make it to Macao beach. If you go on Google maps and rotate the view from the ocean in 3D you can sort of see it. If you do decide to do it, I wouldn't recommend carrying a camera or anything that could be perceived of as valuable. Macao beach though is worth visiting and a great spot for beautiful pictures.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Caution against doing it. However, if you do, advise resort staff of your venture and provide them an estimated time of return so they can check on you. Best to travel with a group, safety in numbers.

Regards,

PJT

GeorgePL

Jan 30, 2018
Are you suggeting it is not safe to do such walk from Bavaro to Macao Beach..?

And how about passing such path?

goo.gl/maps/EXDL87Gi8vL2 (paste to adres bar)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Are you suggeting it is not safe to do such walk from Bavaro to Macao Beach..?

And how about passing such path?

goo.gl/maps/EXDL87Gi8vL2 (paste to adres bar)

I would not feel safe walking on that stretch of beach and I've lived here over 20 years. But that's me, others might not have issues. That path you've marked is on a private property, you won't be permitted to pass.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Any google links on where one can park a rental car to get to Macao beach?
I have been there once on an excursion and would like to go back and not have to pay some rip-off-artist.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Any google links on where one can park a rental car to get to Macao beach?
I have been there once on an excursion and would like to go back and not have to pay some rip-off-artist.

You can park pretty much anywhere on the road that follows the beach. I usually park right at the beginning by Macao Surf Camp, there's always people around and have never seen any "parking attendants".

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The problem would not be safety, it would be the sun and your tired legs.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Between Macao beach and the Hard Rock resort is the Roko Key cliffs. That stretch is pretty much unwalkable. You can walk from the Hard Rock resort to the Barcelo compound which is probably close to 15 miles. It's all pretty much AI resorts. If you walk the other way you can get from Macao to the Zoetry resort which is about 10 miles with about 25% of that walking by uninhabited jungle.
My advice would be to go to Bibiagua by the Barcelo and start walking north east. You might make it all they way to Hard Rock but remember you are on the beach and there is no close by cab service so you have to walk back.
It's mostly resorts and they will not let you cut through to get a cab.
Good luck