The Richest Haitians

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is this list correct? They show their faces too.

This video was uploaded on Youtube in Sept 2017.

[video=youtube;8m5gXA-zdO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5gXA-zdO4[/video]

Any other Haitian individuals to take into consideration and that don't appear on this list?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Images of each of them, in case the video disappears.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
image.jpg

image.jpg

It's interesting that the two black guys on the list made their money through the government, assuming the lottery isn't a private business in Haiti.

The richest Haitian has business interests in the DR too. I've seen the logo of his company on many trucks that supply air fuel to all the airplanes at Cibao International Airport in Santiago and I think at Las Americas too. Next time you land (or will depart) from a Dominican airport and you have a window seat, put attention to the fuel trucks and you will see the GB logo.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Raul Cedras when he arrived in Panama he arrived with suitcases full of money. He lived in the same building as I did and saw him quite often in the elevator but didn't know who he was till a neighbor filled me in.
$800 million made Aristides in just a few years and he used to be a priest. :ermm:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I thought the richest person in Haiti was Denis O'Brien, but he may be an Irish national.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How much did Papa Doc and Baby Doc run off with -- plenty!!

Baby Doc had a Ferrari...
built a special strip of pavement to drive it on
back/forth- back/forth

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I was just over there in PAP and did not see any of those guys. Just desperate people looking for a way to make a dollar.
City was quite dirty and the only bright side were the thousands lined up at the airport departure gate waiting for a chance to fly to Chile. Where they will be welcomed as immigrants. 40,000 there already and all have meaningful work.

Last time I was in a similar situation was Kolkata, (Calcutta) India.

Just had to get in my two pesos worth.

Russell

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was just over there in PAP and did not see any of those guys. Just desperate people looking for a way to make a dollar.
City was quite dirty and the only bright side were the thousands lined up at the airport departure gate waiting for a chance to fly to Chile. Where they will be welcomed as immigrants. 40,000 there already and all have meaningful work.

Last time I was in a similar situation was Kolkata, (Calcutta) India.

Just had to get in my two pesos worth.

Russell
That's because Haiti's upper class lives scattered on the foothills south of city. From the main commercial area of Petionville some of the mansions tucked away in hills are clearly visible. Further up in the mountains is the suburb of Kenscoff with more homes of the Haitian rich. Even in those ritzy areas and despite the fences and sometimes the homes themselves are visible from the street, you will not see the Haitian upper class walking down any of those streets. The typical Haitian upper class is mixed race or white, but the overwhelming majority (often times they are the only people) of the people you see walking along the residential streets of Petionville and Kenscoff are regular everyday Haitians that are clearly not rich. I'm sure those streets have plenty of them as well, but are hidden in the vehicles with heavy tinted windows and that in effect makes them invincible to the naked eye at street level. The security situation probably explainst that.

Funny you mention the Haitians heading to Chile. A few days ago I read that starting this spring, Chile will start requiring visas from Haitians. The people down there are not too happy with the rapidity the Haitian presence has grown. Santiago de Chile went from a city with hardly any Haitians at all to now at least one or two Haitian is seen roaming around the center and in other parts of the city, according to the Chileans themselves.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I thought the richest person in Haiti was Denis O'Brien, but he may be an Irish national.

i am afraid i do not know what you mean by this. Denis O'Brien is no more ''in Haiti'' than he is in Jamaica, Turks, TandT, and several other countries.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
So that is where all the aid money went, huh? I guess Haiti is not a sh*thole for theses guys.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Raul Cedras when he arrived in Panama he arrived with suitcases full of money. He lived in the same building as I did and saw him quite often in the elevator but didn't know who he was till a neighbor filled me in.
$800 million made Aristides in just a few years and he used to be a priest. :ermm:

In God and Money we Trust :0

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
While in PAP I went to a compound in mid city that had small apartments to rent , pool and restaurant . Post earthquake quarters.
There were about a dozen of the affluent Haitians there having a birthday party. All very light and a few whites.
When my Engineer and me were leaving they did not move out of the way, as they were standing in the cement pathway.
They spoke only English with very few french words and treated my associate and me with disrespect. Si I politely and firmly asked them to move out of the way. They moved , but with an arrogant attitude. They are called the ''privileged'' ... and despise the blacks as much as the blacks despise them. Reminds me of my time in Barbados where much the same attitudes existed between the ''Africans'' (Bajans) and the Europeans (Barbadians) .. but interesting just the same.
My Engineer friend who was educated at University of Buffalo USA , said that they remain in Haiti because if they moved elsewhere they would be called Negro.... regardless of shade...there is a new book for someone to write ''shades of brown''.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How much did Papa Doc and Baby Doc run off with -- plenty!!

Baby Doc had a Ferrari...
built a special strip of pavement to drive it on
back/forth- back/forth

the entire Duvalier clan had 6 million stashed in Swiss banks. i know...they probably had money in Dutch banks, and French banks, etc. however, 6 million is peanuts.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
While in PAP I went to a compound in mid city that had small apartments to rent , pool and restaurant . Post earthquake quarters.
There were about a dozen of the affluent Haitians there having a birthday party. All very light and a few whites.
When my Engineer and me were leaving they did not move out of the way, as they were standing in the cement pathway.
They spoke only English with very few french words and treated my associate and me with disrespect. Si I politely and firmly asked them to move out of the way. They moved , but with an arrogant attitude. They are called the ''privileged'' ... and despise the blacks as much as the blacks despise them. Reminds me of my time in Barbados where much the same attitudes existed between the ''Africans'' (Bajans) and the Europeans (Barbadians) .. but interesting just the same. My Engineer friend who was educated at University of Buffalo USA , said that they remain in Haiti because if they moved elsewhere they would be called Negro.... regardless of shade...there is a new book for someone to write ''shades of brown''.

I think on some parts your US educated friend embellish a little on both, the reason for staying and the labels assumed in other countries.

On the first there are many reasons, most importantly most of their family still lives in Haiti and family bonds are strong, the money making opportunities for them are in Haiti due to the networks their families created centuries ago, the desire to live life within a Haitian ambiance could be stronger than anything else, and a very long etc.

The second one simply isn’t true in many countries. Sure, that might be the case in the USA (and even there it’s changing), but in most countries mixed people are seen as mixed, for the most part. That’s also the case in much of Africa as well. What the upper class mixed Haitian might not have abroad is the privilige that automatically comes with their last name in their native country. 

For some neither the prestige of the last name in the home country or family ties or anything else is enough to offset the desire to live in a different country. Sometimes certain aspects of the native country (the way politics works, the disregard for public places on part of the people and the government, crime levels, issues of underdevelopment that affects everyone, etc) are simply too much to be offset by the positives the country offers to the priviliged group. These are usually the ones living in the US, Canada or even in France, which are the preferred places for upper class Haitians that wish to live outside Haiti.

Those that belong to families persecuted by certain politicians also have another country added to the list and that’s the DR itself. Even rich Haitians that lived for years in developed countries, when they decide its time to return to the island but Haiti’s issues are too much for them to bare, the DR becomes the chosen spot. This last part was confided to me by a Haitian acquaintance that I’ve known since my university days. Her words was that the DR is now the place to be, because its the same island and the closest to Haiti which allows for constant short trips ‘home’ without exposing themselves too much to the incoveniences of Haitian life and especially the kidnappings. Kidnappings is the main worry among moneyed Haitians.

Reactions: KellaDR

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
Funny you mention the Haitians heading to Chile. A few days ago I read that starting this spring, Chile will start requiring visas from Haitians. The people down there are not too happy with the rapidity the Haitian presence has grown. Santiago de Chile went from a city with hardly any Haitians at all to now at least one or two Haitian is seen roaming around the center and in other parts of the city, according to the Chileans themselves.

I’m living in Santiago Chile at the moment......with a illegal immigrant Haitian. Everyone I meet thinks of immigration as a positive thing, and although there is a huge racist and classist society here, I don’t find that they don’t want them here. Just not in the best jobs or dating their daughter. [emoji38]

But the government is clearly understaffed to deal with the influx; he has been waiting nearly three months for a work permit, something that should take 10 days. And the new president who takes office in March is farther to the right than the current, so there will indeed be changes.

I believe people here mostly voted for Piñera because the economy is flagging and it was in good shape during his previous presidency. We shall see how it goes. Maybe some real evidence on how controlling immigration affects the economy, so something for the US to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk