Las Terrenas Help

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
Hello DR1

This is my second post. Thanks to everyone who answered my first post, as the answers were quite helpful. We are staying at Viva Wyndham last half of February and have not had much luck getting response from the hotel people. Still trying to figure out how to handle money for day trips, of which we have 4 scheduled (whales, El Limon, Samana, beach excursion) ,and money to use around Las Terrenas when we go into town. Should we have about half US and half DR money, or is one more usable than the other? Is it hard to exchange money in Las Terrenas? Our other question is about "taxis" which we understand are often scooters. Are car taxis available? How much will a trip from the Wyndham into Las Terrenas cost for cars if available, or how much are the scooters? Is safe transportation available day and night, or do we need to be back at the hotel by dark? Sorry if the questions seem odd, but even though we are getting a good feel for the area, these basics seem to be escaping us. I have researched threads on DR1, but many answers are old, and I thought I would try to get more current information.

Thanks!

Randy in Iowa

Jan 17, 2009
Some tours will be quoted in USD.  In such case, pay with USD.  Other than that, you'll be charged in pesos.  If given the option for a merchant to convert pesos to dollars, you're likely to lose on the exchange.  I don't know where you coming from, but bring USD and exchange for pesos as needed locally.  Not in the hotel, not at the airport.  Current rate is about 48.30 pesos per 1 USD.  Before your trip, check this site for current rate:  https://caribeexpress.com.do

Car taxis are available.  Sorry no idea of cost.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello DR1

This is my second post. Thanks to everyone who answered my first post, as the answers were quite helpful. We are staying at Viva Wyndham last half of February and have not had much luck getting response from the hotel people. Still trying to figure out how to handle money for day trips, of which we have 4 scheduled (whales, El Limon, Samana, beach excursion) ,and money to use around Las Terrenas when we go into town. Should we have about half US and half DR money, or is one more usable than the other? Is it hard to exchange money in Las Terrenas? Our other question is about "taxis" which we understand are often scooters. Are car taxis available? How much will a trip from the Wyndham into Las Terrenas cost for cars if available, or how much are the scooters? Is safe transportation available day and night, or do we need to be back at the hotel by dark? Sorry if the questions seem odd, but even though we are getting a good feel for the area, these basics seem to be escaping us. I have researched threads on DR1, but many answers are old, and I thought I would try to get more current information.

Thanks!

Randy in Iowa

Hi:

First, DO NOT bring a lot of US cash. This could create a security issue. Do you have a debit/credit card that will allow you access to an ATM? Bring that to get rd pesos. Make sure you notify your credit card company you will be using the card in the Dominican Republic otherwise it probably will not work. There are a number of ATMS in Las Terrenas. The most convenient are located at Plaza El Paseo. This is located downtown in the heart of the tourist zone near the beach. I believe you can withdraw up to 10,000 pesos at a time. If you are booking tours use your credit card. There is no need to use cash. If you need a taxi you should have no problem getting one at your hotel. Ask at the desk what the normal rate is into Las Terrenas. Taxis should be a car or van. In Las Terrenas there are a large number of moto conchos that are also taxis. Obviously this will be of no value to you if you are travelling in a group. When you hire a taxi get this persons business card you use his services all during your stay. This will probably give you a better rate and you will feel more comfortable knowing you have a trustworthy individual. I'm assuming you will have your US cell phone with you. Prior to your trip contact your cell provider to see what king of deal they have available to use your US phone in the DR. As an example, Verizon Cellular, has a flat rate of $40 for an unlimited calling plan you can use while in a foreign country using your US phone. I would highly recommend something like this. If you can use your phone to make arrangements with a car and driver to pick you up prior to going int Las Terrenas after dark. Remember to ALWAYS agree on a negotiated price before you get into the taxi to your destination. This way you have a clear understanding with the driver on price. If you are in a group or the two of you be careful after dark. Again, having a reliable driver would be a real asset. One question? Where are you flying into and how are you getting to your hotel? I'm assuming you are flying into Santo Domingo? You might consider renting a car while you are in the DR? Just a thought. If you have any other questions just asked. Good luck and good travels.

rfahriowa

Dec 25, 2017
Thanks to LTSteve and Expat-in-Cabarete - great info.

We are still curious about the cost of a taxi (car) from Wyndham Viva to Las Terrenas. We are planning on Sun Transfers to and from SD airport..........are they reputable? We planning on day trips with Peninsula Tours and Flora Tours....seem like good people so far. I assume when we go on organized day trips we should limit $/belongings that we take with to a minimum. Any advice for best places to eat and drink in Las Terrenas? Does La Dolce Vida, Luis, Surf Shack, Polar Bar, La Thalassa sound like we are on the right track for good food drink, safe and fun? I don't see us staying in LT past 10 or 11 at night once or twice.....should we be going back to the resort sooner? We assume the last two weeks of February are high season....will LT be Cancun crazy or {we assume} more like a busy weeknight on Isla Mujeres? Finally....sand flees and bugs.....tough to bring a lot of fluids along, so I assume spray/etc is readily available about anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks to LTSteve and Expat-in-Cabarete - great info.

We are still curious about the cost of a taxi (car) from Wyndham Viva to Las Terrenas. We are planning on Sun Transfers to and from SD airport..........are they reputable? We planning on day trips with Peninsula Tours and Flora Tours....seem like good people so far. I assume when we go on organized day trips we should limit $/belongings that we take with to a minimum. Any advice for best places to eat and drink in Las Terrenas? Does La Dolce Vida, Luis, Surf Shack, Polar Bar, La Thalassa sound like we are on the right track for good food drink, safe and fun? I don't see us staying in LT past 10 or 11 at night once or twice.....should we be going back to the resort sooner? We assume the last two weeks of February are high season....will LT be Cancun crazy or {we assume} more like a busy weeknight on Isla Mujeres? Finally....sand flees and bugs.....tough to bring a lot of fluids along, so I assume spray/etc is readily available about anywhere?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Randy:

Let me see if I can answer most of your questions. I don't know exactly how much a taxi would be from your hotel to LT. I know it's about $70us from El Catey Airport to LT so I would guestimate maybe $20-30us. I am not familiar with Sun transfers. I would imagine they are reputable. What price did they quote you each way? Again, the tour companies should be fine. As far as restaurants in Las Terrenas I would go on-line and look at these: La Yuca Caliente (Italian), Navias (German), Mojitos (Cuban), Pizza Azul (pizza and salads) Luis Restaurant (Grilled fish and chicken) Luis' is only open for lunch and is located on the beach in Coson which is the other way down the beach (away from LT) and probably a 10 ride. Very casual, grilled fish, lobster, shrimp and chicken with sides of salad, rice & beans and french fries. Try the Pina Colada. Comes in a hollowed out pineapple. Las Terrenas is nothing like Cancun. Much smaller scale. Much quieter nightlife. After dinner, you are probably better off going back to your hotel and just relax. Bring mosquito repellent. They are out after dark. You are better off bringing it with you. When you go on tours don't bring a lot of stuff with you. Don't wear expensive jewerly or watches. The Viva Wyndham is a great location. Enjoy your holiday.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
You can buy mosquito repellent in a drugstore or almost any colmado, Off with 25-30% DEET costs 350-400 pesos.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Las Terrenas, as is the case throughout the whole Samana province, has strong unions (sindicos). And this applies to taxis too.

You will find taxi stands with posted rates (which are generally negotiable) just before Hotel Alisei on Playa Las Ballenas and in the relocated position just after the cemetery on the beach front road and at the bus stop just up into town from the cemetery.

My suggestion would be to get to know a taxi driver and get a feel for the posted rates,

Here is a bit of information on the local syndicate with telephone number.....http://caribya.com/las.terrenas/taxis/

The Wyndham is 15 minutes outside the town so my expectation would be US25 one way. And so to get to know a driver might be a good move for your stay.

Don't discount eating at your adjacent hotel....Sublime Samana. https://www.sublimesamana.com/cuisine/

And even an evening meal at Hotel Atlantis which is closer than town is worth it if you like French cuisine. http://hotel-atlantis-lasterrenas.com/ .......this chef knows how to cook.....

Luis is a short walk around the point and across a shallow river and ideal for lunch and a lazy afternoon. Dorado a la plancha is my choice always but go choose your fish or lobster and let them prepare it. It is very laid back and basic but it is good. I was a regular living close by before and Luis's brother gave me a special welcome back a coupe of weeks back. Great folks.

Remember LT is a typically European style small fishing village resort which closes early except for the hardy, and at weekends when the wealthy from Santo Domingo arrive from town. It is a resort with more daytime activities around than at night.

Here's a link to the local small news paper in LT https://issuu.com/infosdiario

And LT Live http://www.las-terrenas-live.com/las-terrenas/turismo.html

As for mosquitos my main advice is to spray your bedroom early evening and prior to retiring for the night. The maids tend to open all the windows and doors and a few get in. They are nuisance rather than something to upset your vacation so use some Off early evening before going to eat/drink.

Lucky you. I can't find enough time for the 2 hour drive up to LT from SD...but will be going back soon to forget the world....again.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
IT’s LE Thalassa, not EL. It’s two doors down from hotel aleisi. Very good.  And the owners have actually trained their staff. Never had such attentive staff. They are doing these young people a favor by teaching them how to be professional in the restaurant trade. 

Food was very good.  Not perfect.  The sauces are par excellence. I’m going there tonight to have crepe Suzette. Prepared table side.  

Gosh, the beef here is tough. And they butcher it differently so the cuts of meat aren’t the same as I’m accustomed to. 

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
We returned yesterday from a month in Las Terrenas. Here is my 2 cents
Mosquitos/Bugs - if any of you are bothered by mosquitos, sand fleas, bugs in general be proactive and bring repellent containing at least 25 % DEET, spray often and carry it with you when you go out. Also bring an after bite product that works for you at home. I am not bothered but my friend was and she got bit right away and often. We sprayed every time we went out walking and especially prior to sunset and/or anywhere near the beach.
Cash - it is easy to withdraw money at the bank machines in town and the exchange rate is better than at the money exchange. The best posted rate was at the money exchange across from the French Baker next to the Cigar shop on the main drag where all motoconchos sit near the cemetery. He also matched the better exchange rate we got in San Pedro.
Taxis - Agree with other advice ... when you find a driver you like, get his contact info, negotiate each trip price beforehand and use him regularly. There were differences in prices for taxis.
Paying for tours, restaurants and other misc - we found some places accepted only cash and others charged 6% more if paying by credit card. We had a great tour to Los Haitises with Flora tours.
Restaurants - if you follow Trip advisor reviews find a review that you agree with (especially when you agree it was not good) and see what they liked and try one of those spots. It seemed to work for us although we mostly cooked at home.
Have fun! I love it up there!