Certified Black Angus Beef in Puerto Plata

mikeppsych

Oct 9, 2004
La Sirena no longer sells Black Angus beef in their Puerto Plata store . The imported beef they now sell is horrible. Does anyone know where I can buy Certified Black Angus or similar quality imported beef in the Puerto Plata area?

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
La Sirena no longer sells Black Angus beef in their Puerto Plata store . The imported beef they now sell is horrible. Does anyone know where I can buy Certified Black Angus or similar quality imported beef in the Puerto Plata area?

Go to a village Carniceria, buy a good sized piece, wrap it in a towel and put it in tha bottom of your refrigerator for a Month.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014

Drive to santiago, it's worth it... in supermercado nacianol they sell fresh imported angus beef, also sometimes fresh prime angus beef

Ribeye is 750 pesos / lbs.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Jumbos has black angus

You may be right, but I have never seen Angus beef in any Jumbos. But have not been in the one in PP. Nacional has Angus beef and is the only one I have found here that has it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

mikeppsych

Oct 9, 2004
I just went to the Jumbo in Puerto Plata. They have a big sign behind the counter that says Certified Black Angus but the beef is only labeled certified. I just bought 6000 pesos worth of meat including certified rib steaks at 750 pesos a pound and certified tenderloin at 985 pesos a pound. I will leave an update after I barbecue some.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I still say to call Nello's Carne Selecta in Sto Dom

They'll ship to you

Great rib eyes - So American beef usually
I have never asked for Angus.... but you can !!!

Address: Calle Jose Tapia Brea, Santo Domingo 10147
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 8PM

Phone: (809) 565-1268

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I just went to the Jumbo in Puerto Plata. They have a big sign behind the counter that says Certified Black Angus but the beef is only labeled certified. I just bought 6000 pesos worth of meat including certified rib steaks at 750 pesos a pound and certified tenderloin at 985 pesos a pound. I will leave an update after I barbecue some.

we used to buy beef in la sirena but now we only do jumbo. they often have various offers on meat, including imported cuts. we had certified ribeye, flank, flap and other cuts. all were very good but i have no comparison to american standards so cannot comment on that. cheap it ain't but the taste is worth it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I still say to call Nello's Carne Selecta in Sto Dom

They'll ship to you

Great rib eyes - So American beef usually
I have never asked for Angus.... but you can !!!

Address: Calle Jose Tapia Brea, Santo Domingo 10147
Hours: Open ⋅ Closes 8PM

Phone: (809) 565-1268
We've been to their store.

How do they ship it? How is it kept cool?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
She'll pack kit in a cooler bag with ice.

I give her my cooler sometimes - leave it there for an order.

I bought some disposable coolers especially for it.... beach type... lined cardboard beer coolers.
Metro or Caribe Tours.

Zorina is her name

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
mikeppsych
I've known quite a few butcher as friends the custom from the UK is to keep the meat in the freezer but not frozen for a Time so that it's tender a good English butcher friend working in Spain supplied many of the Yachts sailing to the Caribbean he had a very good reputation for his meat ... It's not the custom here and much of the meat taste like old shoes..

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
mikeppsych
I've known quite a few butcher as friends the custom from the UK is to keep the meat in the freezer but not frozen for a Time so that it's tender a good English butcher friend working in Spain supplied many of the Yachts sailing to the Caribbean he had a very good reputation for his meat ... It's not the custom here and much of the meat taste like old shoes..
My bar kept meat in a special smaller walk-in at 35F. It would last for weeks at that temp, although some drying would take place. Beef was OK, but fresh chicken, fish and ground beef would suffer from dehydration if left there too long. Our larger walk-in was 41F, the max allowed by the Health Dept. Veggies would be fine at 41F, but suffer damage at 35F.