Visiting DR (Puerto Plata) March 2018

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Hi All,

We are a 50 something couple, visiting Puerto Plata early March.
I have read most of the "do not drive here" posts all over the web about the area.
I have decided to rent a car for the week anyway. (will likely get soaked for Insurance costs, LOL) and I am OK with it.
I've driven extensively in Central America and other places around the world...so, I have decided to go and do it anyway. I believe I can cope. Likely, no night driving if it can be helped.

I want to visit the north coast from Puerto Plata to Samana Bay, so renting seems best.
Thinking of heading out to Punta Rucia as well, but not firm, might just to the bus/boat tour to the Cayo Arena.

Anyone here in our area?

Bill and Nadine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You'll be fine driving....the north coast is less of a problem than Sto Domingo and Santiago (bigger cities)

Study your maps... maybe bring a GPS...or use your phone.

North coast is easy to navigate - one road from Pto Plata to Samana - passing through a few smaller areas.

You'll be fine - it's not Canada - but you'll be fine

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
You'll be fine driving....the north coast is less of a problem than Sto Domingo and Santiago (bigger cities)

Study your maps... maybe bring a GPS...or use your phone.

North coast is easy to navigate - one road from Pto Plata to Samana - passing through a few smaller areas.

You'll be fine - it's not Canada - but you'll be fine

I think so. Thanks!