What Fish, for Fish n Chips?

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
A Friend has arrived for a visit.
(at home) He is very good and battering and deep frying English Style Fish n Chip.

The Question.....

What fish do I buy, in the DR, to make this?
It should be thicker, with white flesh, and (absolutely) NO BONES. Not too fishy tasting.
When cooked, it has to comes out.. firm and flakey.

In my world, it is Cod or Haddock. (maybe it is sold here with Spanish names?)

Please..... What Fish, do I buy in the DR.

Sadly.... I have been to several DR Restaurants, that offer “English Style Fish n Chip”
All the fish came out soft and NOT flakey.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A Friend has arrived for a visit.
(at home) He is very good and battering and deep frying English Style Fish n Chip.

The Question.....

What fish do I buy, in the DR, to make this?
It should be thicker, with white flesh, and (absolutely) NO BONES. Not too fishy tasting.
When cooked, it has to comes out.. firm and flakey.

Sadly.... I have been to several DR Restaurants, that offer “English Style Fish n Chip”
You can buy frozen cod at Nacional. Spendy, but good.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..............When cooked, it has to comes out.. firm and flakey.

Maybe your friend would be wiling to share the batter recipe?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
There is a Cheap Asian (farmed) fish that the industry substitutes for Grouper , when they can get away with it .
ie, If no one TESTS it .. I'm very sure it has made its way into the DR market .

.. Its so close in texture and appearance , that even a large Chain Restaurant in the States was Duped for a long time Until some real Fish mongers came along one day to eat there , and knew right away it was Fake Grouper ...
it was a big story a little while back.
Point being, I would be cautions paying " Grouper" prices , because its probably NOT what you are going to get , as prev posts have already explained .

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Maybe your friend would be wiling to share the batter recipe?

We’ve been using this for yrs my Greek neighbor owned fish n chips shop simple golden brown colour give it try..
1 cup cold water
2 tbsp  oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup flower
1 tsp baking powder
just a touch of mustard gives it golden brown colour
Use up within 20 minutes 

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
We’ve been using this for yrs my Greek neighbor owned fish n chips shop simple golden brown colour give it try..
1 cup cold water
2 tbsp  oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup flower
1 tsp baking powder
just a touch of mustard gives it golden brown colour
Use up within 20 minutes 

What ? No papprika ? No beer ?

The best batter is beer batter ;)

May 5, 2007
There is a Cheap Asian (farmed) fish that the industry substitutes for Grouper , when they can get away with it .
ie, If no one TESTS it .. I'm very sure it has made its way into the DR market .

.. Its so close in texture and appearance , that even a large Chain Restaurant in the States was Duped for a long time Until some real Fish mongers came along one day to eat there , and knew right away it was Fake Grouper ...
Point being, I would be cautions paying " Grouper" prices , because its probably NOT what you are going to get , as prev posts have already explained .

Most likely Talapia but it doesn't generally break apart and has most of the qualities of Cod/Haddock with exception of very mild taste and in need of flavoring

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
What ? No papprika ? No beer ?

The best batter is beer batter ;)

Beer is before and during meal!!! With homemade tarter sauce !  Mayo couple homemade pickles a bit pickle juice put in blender(wife is Polish)

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You want to use Seabass, which is called Mero here. You can get it at Playero in the frozen section. You get two filets in one pack.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Most likely Talapia but it doesn't generally break apart and has most of the qualities of Cod/Haddock with exception of very mild taste and in need of flavoring

Not Talapia . I had forgetten which fish was used , but i recalled it resembled a Pollock ,was going by memory.
see link below

I think that the Red Lobster chain was also involved in the Switch Scam from their vendor .. ?

I cant seem to find a link to this Article ...
But this video explains it perfectly, same thing.

The fish is called SWAI... ff to 1:36
I had never heard of this before....

[video=youtube;b6H1_4Mc-hU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6H1_4Mc-hU[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i had swai fillets, bought in bravo. quite tasty. i think i made them using the recipe from the package, some asian type marinade and sauce.
we buy a lot of flounder fillets from full circle for us but it's not a type of fish you'd use for fish'n'chips. la sirena and jumbo have them in frozen section. i have seen haddock steaks from the same producer but they go for over 1000 pesos per packet (two portions). they have cod too and that was good.
http://fullcirclefoods.com/fc_products/seafood/

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
I have had pretty good success with Dorado. Just don't make the pieces to large and fish will be good when batter is golden.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

It is the same story here. Much less of the fish served in restaurants or sold in the supermarkets is local, while much of it is from China.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unless you actually see the whole fish, it is quite common to order one type and get another. The fish of the day is just that whatever was available locally that morning. Many non-specialty seafood restaurants in the smaller North Coast communities (incl Puerto Plata) do not have the inventory turnover to be able to offer the fresh variety that their menus sometimes suggest.

If you order fish, you will get fish. If you order a specific type of fish, you will likely receive "just fish". I've stopped ordering singular fish dishes for this reason. The fish switch is not unique to the DR, it happens all over the world. It is amusing here to watch the facial contortion that happen when you inform your server that the grouper on your plate didn't hatch as a grouper - as if grouper is a euphemism for "just fish". It gets really interesting when you refuse their offering del dia.