Dominican women voting rights LADIES ONLY

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
When you travel around the Plaza de Bandera these days you will see a large poster displaying when Dominican women got the vote....1942.

(Copied here by AlterEgo from Off Topic Forum, ju10prd did not post in Ladies OnlyForum)

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A suggestion was made in the Mod Forum to copy this part of a post made in OT.  

I had no idea that Dominican women couldn’t vote until 1942. 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is what wikipedia says

In 1931, the Dominican Feminist Action, led by Abigail Mejia, hosted the First Feminist movement in the country demanding equal rights under the Constitution. Dominican women won the right to vote in 1942, through the constitutional reform of that year, which were established in Articles 9 and 10. This marked an important civil and political change of women's rights in the Dominican Republic. The progressive policies implemented by the government of Juan Bosch in 1963 allowed women to begin to organize their grassroots movements at different levels of society.

Decades later, in the early 90s, women's organizations in the Dominican Republic began to demand greater inclusion in elections. In that sense, the first female quota law was enacted on December 21, 1997, which established that at least 25 percent of candidatures for elective positions of the parties would be occupied by women. Subsequently, this percentage was raised to 33 percent. These laws set aside a minimum of candidates for elective office for women.

I know that in the municipal elections if the mayor is male the deputy major has to be female and vice versa.

Matilda

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Yes very interesting. Never really gave it much thought until I saw this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The thing that struck me is that this was only about 10 years before the Mirabal sisters became political in the mid 50s. They were certainly ahead of their time, and I couldn’t help remembering that Minerva wasn’t allowed to practice law even with her degree. 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The thing that struck me is that this was only about 10 years before the Mirabal sisters became political in the mid 50s. They were certainly ahead of their time, and I couldn’t help remembering that Minerva wasn’t allowed to practice law even with her degree. 

I think it wasn't the fact Minerva was a woman, it was because she spurned the advances of Trujillo that they wouldn't let her practise. To me, woman are doing well here. There are more women graduating from university than men, there are female senators, deputies and ministers. When I was involved in politics at a local level the women were definitely much more active, intelligent and organised than the men!

matilda

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think it wasn't the fact Minerva was a woman, it was because she spurned the advances of Trujillo that they wouldn't let her practise. To me, woman are doing well here. There are more women graduating from university than men, there are female senators, deputies and ministers. When I was involved in politics at a local level the women were definitely much more active, intelligent and organised than the men!

matilda

Unless Alvarez was wrong, she wrote that Minerva was the first woman to attend law school, and needed Trujillo’s approval to attend.  Yes, I knew he didn’t allow her to practice, but it was my understanding that at that time there were no female attorneys in DR.  I could be wrong, only know what I read.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Another reason was that Minerva rebuffed Trujillo's amorous advances.