Recommendations please

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Hi,

Never been to the DR.
We will be in Puerto Plata Mar 2 to 10.
We will have a rental car (SUV).
I will be OK driving there. (Survived driving in Panama, Costa Rica, Guatamala, Spain, Italy, etc.) I am familiar with the bikes/motorcycles swarming from both sides, and non North American rules of the road. Think it will be fun!!!!

We are 55 and 50 yrs old.

We are not the type to stay on the resort people. We get out and about every day and explore.
I plan on going to:

-Several beaches in the area - recommendations appreciated
-27 Charcos - will likely just drive there and book
-Isabel De Torres National Park and cable car - will drive there and explore area
-Fortaleza San Felipe/ Malecon puerto plata/ Anfiteatro POP area

Looking for advise for local nightlife options - are we safe just being a tourist couple or should be find a group at the resort and make it a night out with a group?

We are looking at Arena Cayo and possible trip to Samana
Do I book these on line with Viator and Trip advisor, or just show up and buy at the local place?

Thank you for your help!!!
B and N

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
27 waterfalls: you can drive into the park and book on the spot but i would wait for the best weather to do it. trust me, the water is cold as F at this time of the year and after the rains it is deep, murky and can be dangerous.

teleferico: there is a road to the top of the mountain but again, it's been raining and it may be in a bad shape now. besides, going there in a cable car is the most exciting part of the trip. check carnival schedule and pick up a day without cruise in the port or you will spend considerable time waiting for a car.

fortaleza/malecon: park a car somewhere in the city centre and walk around. for this, pick a cruise day. that means lots of people will be around, tourist police will be there to lend a hand in parking, crossing the streets and going around. safe and sound.

nightlife: you will be safe enough on your own. lots of dancing/drinking places around, no problems. take a taxi/uber from/to hotel so you can chill, drink and do not have to drive at night, especially on weekends when most of road users are drunk .

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Beaches: to the west Punta Rusia. To the east there are many - depends how far you want to go. Sosua and Cabarete are both very popular, but if you want to go further, Playa Caleton just past Rio San Juan. It's small, sheltered and quiet but hard to find.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and Playa Grande is just a bit further.... better IMO

did you ever hear the Moto San guy's story at Playa Grande ?

He and his pals were out goofing around one day - dirt biking etc
They showed up all scruffy for lunch....ate & drank big

But -- nobody had money.... all broke

The waiters went ballistic - yelling , threatening ....
all but the young kid who had served them...
He said he trusted them to pay later

Grudgingly, they were allowed to leave....and pay later

Well
a few days later a big chofer driven Range Rover arrives and 'El Senor' steps out...
adorned with the obligatory shades, bling and trappings.... staff following

The waiters all swoon - bow & scrape

Senor Big seeks out the young waiter and has his lunch - silent

Meal over - he pays and reminds the kid about the debt owed..
Pays that too.....

Says to the kid - Follow me

New moto waiting in the parking lot for the kid.....
The tip..........

True story.... Moto San man....
from the ugly house in Gasping Hernandez

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like your moxie.

You do not need to "book" anything to go out to Cayo Arena. There are dozens of boats that will take you out there.

I think I would just drive there and explore. For example:

Go West on the major highway, turn right towards Luperon and then watch for signs for El Estrecho. There you go to the left and follow signs to La Isabela. In La Isabela you go to the right and take the road to Estero Hondo. When you pass through Estero Hondo look for signs to La Ensenada, and go to the right. This road leads you right to the beach. Pay RD$100 to park. Go find ELSA, and there you can eat and rent a chaise lounge (?). Ask Elsa or her daughter in law about going over to Cayo Arena. Go early, and go in the middle of the week.

If you want, as an alternative, turn left as you get to the beach and go along until you get to the "village" of Punta Rucia. On your left there is a small restaurant called Damaris (ask for her). Good food, and she can set you up with a boat to the Cayo Arena.

Have a great time.

You might want to come to Santiago on a weekend to see the Carnival, a real special event.

Cordially,

HB

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Luperon is a good place... several beaches and nearby is the first habitation of Christopher Columbus being archaeologically discovered.
The Pope will visit there in 2019 and bless the place.
Wendys Bar on friday night is to meet expats , locals and Karaoke ... lots of boutique hotels here.
There are many of us Canadians here.
Have fun and enjoy DR.
Russell

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I highly recommend Garden by the Sea, Sosua. Small, excellent, and with personal service. Owner is a retired american lawyer.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Canadian Bill,
Not sure quite what you are looking for ? Are you looking for a long term retirement place or Snow bird situation? Having been to other Latina American countries it sounds as if , at 55 and 50 you are looking for something longer term than just a tourist What you have been given here so far are typical tourist destinations What you should look at, if you are thinking longer term is how would it be if we moved here ? Take a trip to Cabarete and have lunch on the beach - Lazydog Lax etc are all good Spend some time on Sosua beach and go to the Scandinavian Bar about two thirds of the way from Sosua to Charamicos It is a nice walk and you get a chance to see the eclectic mix of bars and restaurants on Sosua beach which to my mind is almost unique You may ask how do I know all this! Well we have been here thirteen years and had a great time in retirement So really what are you looking for ? Just a tourist or more ?

Olly and the team

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
27 waterfalls: you can drive into the park and book on the spot but i would wait for the best weather to do it. trust me, the water is cold as F at this time of the year and after the rains it is deep, murky and can be dangerous.

teleferico: there is a road to the top of the mountain but again, it's been raining and it may be in a bad shape now. besides, going there in a cable car is the most exciting part of the trip. check carnival schedule and pick up a day without cruise in the port or you will spend considerable time waiting for a car.

fortaleza/malecon: park a car somewhere in the city centre and walk around. for this, pick a cruise day. that means lots of people will be around, tourist police will be there to lend a hand in parking, crossing the streets and going around. safe and sound.

nightlife: you will be safe enough on your own. lots of dancing/drinking places around, no problems. take a taxi/uber from/to hotel so you can chill, drink and do not have to drive at night, especially on weekends when most of road users are drunk .

Thank you for the great tips!!
Would not have considered the cruise ships aspect!

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Beaches: to the west Punta Rusia. To the east there are many - depends how far you want to go. Sosua and Cabarete are both very popular, but if you want to go further, Playa Caleton just past Rio San Juan. It's small, sheltered and quiet but hard to find.

Thanks! A few of those are on our list.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
and Playa Grande is just a bit further.... better IMO

did you ever hear the Moto San guy's story at Playa Grande ?

He and his pals were out goofing around one day - dirt biking etc
They showed up all scruffy for lunch....ate & drank big

But -- nobody had money.... all broke

The waiters went ballistic - yelling , threatening ....
all but the young kid who had served them...
He said he trusted them to pay later

Grudgingly, they were allowed to leave....and pay later

Well
a few days later a big chofer driven Range Rover arrives and 'El Senor' steps out...
adorned with the obligatory shades, bling and trappings.... staff following

The waiters all swoon - bow & scrape

Senor Big seeks out the young waiter and has his lunch - silent

Meal over - he pays and reminds the kid about the debt owed..
Pays that too.....

Says to the kid - Follow me

New moto waiting in the parking lot for the kid.....
The tip..........

True story.... Moto San man....
from the ugly house in Gasping Hernandez

Funny story, teaches all to treat eachother kindly!

Playa Grande is on the list for us to visit as we are just next door to it.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Like your moxie.

You do not need to "book" anything to go out to Cayo Arena. There are dozens of boats that will take you out there.

I think I would just drive there and explore. For example:

Go West on the major highway, turn right towards Luperon and then watch for signs for El Estrecho. There you go to the left and follow signs to La Isabela. In La Isabela you go to the right and take the road to Estero Hondo. When you pass through Estero Hondo look for signs to La Ensenada, and go to the right. This road leads you right to the beach. Pay RD$100 to park. Go find ELSA, and there you can eat and rent a chaise lounge (?). Ask Elsa or her daughter in law about going over to Cayo Arena. Go early, and go in the middle of the week.

If you want, as an alternative, turn left as you get to the beach and go along until you get to the "village" of Punta Rucia. On your left there is a small restaurant called Damaris (ask for her). Good food, and she can set you up with a boat to the Cayo Arena.

Have a great time.

You might want to come to Santiago on a weekend to see the Carnival, a real special event.

Cordially,

HB

Thank You!

We will likely follow your instructions and just head out to Punta Rucia and check out the Damaris restaurant.
We want to do Santiago, but hear the road that was is a little "rough" on us tourists...LOL

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Funny story, teaches all to treat eachother kindly!

Playa Grande is on the list for us to visit as we are just next door to it.

If you go to Samana, you'll be able to see several beaches...

Caleton & Playa Grande... w/ Preciosa right beside PG, same car park

Diamonte, La Entrada... further along - past Cabrera.

Nagua is a bit bleek- IMO

but you'll enjoy Samana - we hope....

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
come stay with us
we are 25 minutes from the 27 waterfals and from Punta Russia Beaches
I will tour you areound th emountains here too
PS I am Canadian too : )
https://navasestatesandvilla.weebly.com/

Hi, thanks for the interest.
We already have a place to stay.

We are looking for a "local" who knows the area as a tour guide for a day or 2.
Would you know a local person? My GF would prefer a female tour guide.

drboal

Sep 7, 2017
Thanks! A few of those are on our list.
Playa Caleton is a treat...if you do the 'day boat trip' mango forest, cave on the ocean, Playa Carleton and a second beach included!!! Leaves from 'down town' Rio San Juan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Cabarete Beach at night...Claro Cafe for breakfast, Gorditos for lunch.

Samana is extremely worth the trip and you could even catch a whale watching tour.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Playa Caleton is a treat...if you do the 'day boat trip' mango forest, cave on the ocean, Playa Carleton and a second beach included!!! Leaves from 'down town' Rio San Juan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Playa Caleton - What is with the white statue and the heads on the rocks?
Cool beach, but...creepy?