Volunteers wanted for PGA Tour event

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Jay Sigel -- in slowmo.... hehe

Professional golf[edit]
Sigel turned professional when he reached the age of 50. He joined the Senior PGA Tour in 1994 and won Rookie of the Year honors, when he earned 14 top-10 finishes and secured his first victory at the GTE West Classic. For the next five seasons, he finished in the top-31 on the Senior Tour money list. He won eight events; the last was the 2003 Bayer Advantage Celebrity Pro-Am. In the 2004 Champions Tour season, Sigel finished in the money in all 28 tournaments that he entered and had six top-10 finishes. During the 2005 campaign his best finish was 5th at the Turtle Bay Championship. He has career earnings of over $9 million. Since joining the Champions Tour in 1994, Sigel has been sponsored by global management consulting and technology services company Accenture

========================================

and I don't recall him being as low as +3... I might be wrong....
But +3 is loooow

Many of the young'uns on tour aren't that good.....
Many go pro on the Senior tour and do quite well.

BTW: seems the tournament is looking for volunteers. One of our greatest Dominican experiences was volunteering for the Cap Cana seniors tour a few years ago. GJust fantastic! I was a "walking scorer" for three days assigned to a flight of four players for 18 holes. Alida held a fuzzy mike for Golf network going to whatever hole the network wanted. Treated us like kings, great food, fantastic time.

If you love golf and have physical endurance, do it! Volunteer!

Last edited:

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I used to caddy back in the day on the Canadian Tour and it was a great way to spend 5 hours. In general there are three things you need to do.....show up, keep up and the most difficult of all...shut up.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
They're looking for volunteers for the tournament

Forgive me if I'm off-base here...

But why should anyone 'volunteer' for something that rakes in and pays participants millions of dollars?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For many decades both the PGA and Professional Tennis have had volunteers for their events. The vast majority of the volunteers love what they did and do it again. If you play or follow those two sports you get an opportunity to participate and be near the pros that play it.

Well worth doing if you have the time and energy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

But why should anyone 'volunteer' for something that rakes in and pays participants millions of dollars?
They feed you, give you some high-quality swag and a round of an expensive course.

That's pretty good pay for a fun job.

If this tourney was not in the middle of our MotoCaribe Tour season, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Precisely...
The volunteers keep the costs down and allow a bigger donation to the charities..

as with any charity event , volunteers make the whole thing fly...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
They feed you, give you some high-quality swag and a round of an expensive course.

That's pretty good pay for a fun job.

If this tourney was not in the middle of our MotoCaribe Tour season, I'd volunteer in a heartbeat.

Can't you reroute the Motocaribe Tour for a Punta Cana tournament stop and put those bikers to good use as volunteers and let them cool off their motors too ? I always like to get off the bike for a day once my butt itched from a long ride.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The actual tournament itself is Thursday March 22 to Sunday March 25. The other days there will be a Pro-Am event on one day and practice rounds on days also.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
You're more likely to get knowledgeable golf fans who are just going for the experience if you don't pay. If you offer $$, just anyone will go, whether they know anything about golf or not.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You're more likely to get knowledgeable golf fans who are just going for the experience if you don't pay. If you offer $$, just anyone will go, whether they know anything about golf or not.

They would ferret out those with no golf knowledge ...or passion.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I know of many people throughout the course of my life who one day volunteered for a particular event, worked hard, made a good impression, and then were offered pathways to bigger and greater opportunities down the road. Not just sporting events either. Had they never taken that initial step towards volunteering, they would never have known the possibilities awaiting them. It is called getting a foot in the door. A lost art of sorts upon today's generation who seek instant gratification.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know of many people throughout the course of my life who one day volunteered for a particular event, worked hard, made a good impression, and then were offered pathways to bigger and greater opportunities down the road. Not just sporting events either. Had they never taken that initial step towards volunteering, they would never have known the possibilities awaiting them. It is called getting a foot in the door. A lost art of sorts upon today's generation who seek instant gratification.

When I was in the military you used to get extra points on your annual Performance Assessment for volunteering. Such things as coaching your son or daughters soccer team, or even refereeing ( which you got paid for) counted. I volunteered for an immigrant settlement society http://www.comoxvalleymulticultural.ca/ and the SPCA, both of which I would gladly do without recognition. I have great friends from many countries that I met there, but according to some of the member of the DR1 FAMILY I'm a racist.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am thinking about doing this - volunteering.
when does the responsibility start - The Monday or later in the week ??

Is there any place to stay in the area ?

It would be my wife and me.....
nothing fancy but not too basic either....

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I am thinking about doing this - volunteering.
when does the responsibility start - The Monday or later in the week ??

Is there any place to stay in the area ?

It would be my wife and me.....
nothing fancy but not too basic either....
Check on Airbnb. A few houses in Ciudad La Palma are posted on there. 10 minute drive to the course.