Electric Sander / Tool Rental Place

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I need an electric sander for a day. Will not get enough use to justify buying one. Is there a tool rental place in POP-Sosua-Cabarete?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It's a nice little refurbishing project that will fill a couple of hours. Would like to do it myself but may have to hire someone as you suggest.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
It's a nice little refurbishing project that will fill a couple of hours. Would like to do it myself but may have to hire someone as you suggest.

If you buy one, you will find many more projects to do.... I am sure!
Russell

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hire him -
take the sander from him - just to show him how you want it....

and do the job...

Think outside the box Buster....
haha

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Once again a DRone has stepped up and offered to help with a loaner. I've contacted a carpenter and we'll see how much he wants before making a decision. Would still prefer to rent rather than borrow to ease my conscience - I absolutely cringe at having to explain to someone who helped that their supplied device exploded due to an Ede Norte power spike.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a man who is religious about maintaining things 
My lawnmower is like new after many years 

He’s a rare find 

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've got a sander you can borrow as long as you promise to return it.  I'm in Encuentro.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That makes two offers. Thx. Will be finalizing my plans early this week after hearing how many ducats someone will charge me to use their own equipment and do the work.

Never ceases to amaze that there are people willing to help out relative strangers by baking and loaning out their stuff.

Thanks all.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Those who don't have power tools of their own and have money (contractors, foreigners) would probably be prepared to pay a fee to rent a not often used tool as long as the cost is less than buying one and in some cases, the cost can be passed on to a customer.

Granted, the local handyman types probably don't have a lot of experience with some tools if it's not an angle grinder or a drill, even then...

I would think that to be profitable, a rental business would need to recoup the cost of hand tools is 3 or 4 rentals and require a commensurate deposit to ensure that it is returned in working order. Larger tools such as jack hammers, chain saws impact chisels etc would take longer to recoup but a larger deposit would help insure the business doesn't take a big loss in the event of theft or damage.

Cedula #'s are for life, no cedula no rental - not sure though how useful that would be to track someone down. Probably best to require a deposit large enough to deter outright theft. Hard to get money back for anything here so I wonder how receptive Dominicans would be to the concept of a deposit.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I would think that to be profitable, a rental business would need to recoup the cost of hand tools is 3 or 4 rentals and require a commensurate deposit to ensure that it is returned in working order. ....

Don't forget the consumables- sanding belts and discs, drill bits, and other misc. tools that might be needed to complete the job. Money to be made there too...

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
There is a tool rental just outside Sosua toward airport...example didn’t want guy jack hammering wall for he got concrete saw..
Rental.. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would like to publicly thank the kind DROnes who offered to loan me a sander. I accepted one of the offers and am now in the process of applying the finish to the table.