Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxfam Sex Scandal in Haiti

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    To me this is no news at all. There are prostitutes who make themselves available to foreigners in Haiti? That's hardly news - half the prostitutes in the DR come from Haiti. The girls who do this do so with the full knowledge of boyfriends, husbands and often families. The girls are not exploited, they are delighted to earn the money. There is terrible unemployment in Haiti and this is one way a girl can earn money to feed the inevitable children. And in the articles I have read, nowhere do I see that there is any evidence of underage girls being involved - just the word that it is a possibility. Hardly enough to call anyone guilty.

I remember talking with a Haitian friend about this practice - when the scandal of the UN troops and the underage boys broke  years ago - and she said that most certainly there would be underage girls if the men wanted underage girls because the girls were so broke that they would do anything for money.

there is a prominent Dominican musician who promotes Haitian music and per a good friend of mine who knows him and knows the Haitians in the DR involved - also accepts "sexual favors" from young Haitian girls while "out of the road. He also pays the musicians sound $10 a day while publicly collecting awards for the promotion of Haitian culture. He used to live in my building. I told him once that I knew how much he paid the Haitian musicians in the field and did not want to talk to him any more. 

There was a man who was contracted by a very big international NGO after the earthquake in Haiti. He took the opportunity to set up a date with a hooker. When he got to the designated assignation, he was kidnapped and held for ransom.

Sex tourism is a fact of life https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_tourism 

There are countries - such as Costa Rica - where the sex workers are protected by the government, given safe working environments, regular health check ups, retirement benefits, police protection.

I suppose that it is up to every participant to decide if s/he is engaged in exploitation or fair commerce when exchanging sex for money.

But - I do find it a bit odd that it seems that so few here would "get it" that it is inappropriate for an aid worker to engage in the practice... but then again - I did not understand that so many men agreed that Bill Clinton had NOT indeed had sex with that woman.

Two universes that evidently very rarely intersect.

2. Likes Chirimoya, Lucifer liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    I remember talking with a Haitian friend about this practice - when the scandal of the UN troops and the underage boys broke  years ago - and she said that most certainly there would be underage girls if the men wanted underage girls because the girls were so broke that they would do anything for money.

there is a prominent Dominican musician who promotes Haitian music and per a good friend of mine who knows him and knows the Haitians in the DR involved - also accepts "sexual favors" from young Haitian girls while "out of the road. He also pays the musicians sound $10 a day while publicly collecting awards for the promotion of Haitian culture. He used to live in my building. I told him once that I knew how much he paid the Haitian musicians in the field and did not want to talk to him any more. 

There was a man who was contracted by a very big international NGO after the earthquake in Haiti. He took the opportunity to set up a date with a hooker. When he got to the designated assignation, he was kidnapped and held for ransom.

Sex tourism is a fact of life https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_tourism 

There are countries - such as Costa Rica - where the sex workers are protected by the government, given safe working environments, regular health check ups, retirement benefits, police protection.

I suppose that it is up to every participant to decide if s/he is engaged in exploitation or fair commerce when exchanging sex for money.

But - I do find it a bit odd that it seems that so few here would "get it" that it is inappropriate for an aid worker to engage in the practice... but then again - I did not understand that so many men agreed that Bill Clinton had NOT indeed had sex with that woman.

Two universes that evidently very rarely intersect.
    MA...10 dollars per day is good money...relatively speaking. i know a young lady who works with a major hotel operation in POP, who earns 200 dollars per month. that is regular fare. she is no dishwasher, either. she is fully fluent in english, so, at a minimum, she has some schooling.

4. Likes Russell, Squat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    MA...10 dollars per day is good money...relatively speaking. i know a young lady who works with a major hotel operation in POP, who earns 200 dollars per month. that is regular fare. she is no dishwasher, either. she is fully fluent in english, so, at a minimum, she has some schooling.

$10 a day is good money if it is wages - earned every day. What my friend considered a scandal was that this Dominican was getting substantial grant money for putting on shows - for doing "RaRas" or "GaGa" presentations around Carnival - co opting Haitian culture - in his opion - and paying the Haitians - or the Haitian Dominicans - the least possible amount for both their time and cultural contribution 

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.665daaf455aa.  do not know if link will work through the paywall 

but information here is that Oxfam rented a house and had girls in it - wearing Oxfam t shirts - had essentially established an Oxfam brothel.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

$10 a day is good money if it is wages - earned every day. What my friend considered a scandal was that this Dominican was getting substantial grant money for putting on shows - for doing "RaRas" or "GaGa" presentations around Carnival - co opting Haitian culture - in his opion - and paying the Haitians - or the Haitian Dominicans - the least possible amount for both their time and cultural contribution 
    MA, 200 dollars per month is slavery, no matter how you slice it. then people wonder why these countries have remained in underdevelopment forever..

8. Likes Russell, bonao99, Squat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

what is oxfam?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yacht chef View Post
    what is oxfam?
    Google isn't your friend?
    https://www.oxfam.org/

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.665daaf455aa.  do not know if link will work through the paywall 

but information here is that Oxfam rented a house and had girls in it - wearing Oxfam t shirts - had essentially established an Oxfam brothel.

and the line item on the expense report was 'Job Training'....

I know , I know - you may not smile.....
    More like 'employee party'

Just being light MA...
    forgive me

12. Likes beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be an astounding event if the misdeeds on the part of female employees of worldwide NGO's were finally exposed for what they are, and always have been. Yet, there seems to be an inability or reluctance by investigative journalists to recognize and expose this particular situation, as well as the obvious double standards that exist in today's society in regards to such matters. Half of a story, is not the full story. Sanctimonious detritus.

14. Likes pelaut, beachcomber liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it a serious issue that needs addressing and rectifying? Yes, absolutely. Not just what happened but also the way it was handled.

Is it the norm? Absolutely not (27 years of direct experience in several countries). It should not be allowed to taint all the excellent work that has been, is being, and will be done.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

16. Likes Lucifer liked this post
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast