Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oxfam Sex Scandal in Haiti

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oxfam Sex Scandal in Haiti

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This has been in the news here in the Netherlands for several days, terrible yes.

3. Likes Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And people are surprised? Please. Smell the coffee.

5. Likes drstock, cobraboy, curlando liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Red Cross had a Haitian scandal too

7. Likes Russell liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get it. They paid prostitutes for sex? Isn't that what the prostitutes wanted them to do? It's not like the US Secret Service agents who cheated prostitutes out of their pay, and that blew over in a what seems like a week now. There must be more to it than what the first five or six paragraphs tell us. If so my bad, but I read that far and it just sounds like a silly sob story to me.

9. Likes drstock, pelaut liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    I don't get it. They paid prostitutes for sex? Isn't that what the prostitutes wanted them to do? It's not like the US Secret Service agents who cheated prostitutes out of their pay, and that blew over in a what seems like a week now. There must be more to it than what the first five or six paragraphs tell us. If so my bad, but I read that far and it just sounds like a silly sob story to me.
    you will get no argument from me...i mean, what is so revolutionary about a guy paying a woman for sex?

are these Oxfam guys some special creatures who do not do what mere mortals have been known to do?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    Paying using charity money to pay for sex and exploiting under aged prostitutes. They were in the country to help these people not exploit them. If it was their own money and the prostitutes were of the proper age there wouldnt be an issue, or certainly not much.

12. Likes Russell, Caonabo, Auryn liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think being in position of power somewhat, giving and distributing help, money and other stuff, is the problem. They might have been getting special discounted rate or favors from the prostitutes etc. - that p1sses off a lot of guys and make a lot of girls mad.... lol , No really... !!!? lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Or it could be coming from the other direction........

Women wanting to move up the relief line to get help for their families

wouldn't be a first

That old saying -
    Fastest way to a Man's Heart is Through his Stomach

might be just that ---- an old saying
    depending on what country you're in

15. Likes Russell liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it was completely unacceptable. They were exploiting vulnerable women - no proof there were minors but it is implied - when on the payroll and in representation of an organisation that explicitly campaigns against all types of injustice.

Insider info: Colleagues blew the whistle but were initially brushed aside until someone went directly to the top at head office. The country director admitted to paying women for sex but was not involved in the "sex parties". These were three other workers living in apartments rented by the organisation (not the CD's "villa") and the whistleblowers were colleagues living in the same building who reported it when they saw what was going on.

At the time the CD's departure (he was allowed to resign) and the firing of the other three made the news but the reasons were described as "gross misconduct" which most took to be "fraud" - which was bad enough. The management must have hoped it would stay at that but in the #metoo climate it was just a matter of time.

Their clumsy damage limitation attempt is tantamount to a cover up and it enrages me that the reputation of an organisation and its committed and highly ethical workers and volunteers are being dragged down by the actions of a few sleazebags and incompetents. Also the way this is being used by people only too happy to slam the international humanitarian sector as a whole.

Without making excuses, I got the impression that they were lowering their standards when recruiting people for difficult-to-fill postings in an unprecedented, fast-moving emergency situation. I turned down a job offer post-earthquake because I did not think I was qualified.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

17. Likes IslandDreaming, Lucifer, Africaida liked this post
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast