BUSINESS IDEA FOR SANTO DOMINGO!

potus

Dec 27, 2015

Good day all!
My biz partner and I closed a biz transaction and will be receiving 100K each this week. He is in the Philippines and he will invest in 2 small type businesses.
I will have approx. USD$60,000 to 70,000 to invest in Santo Domingo.
(Hair, Nails, Bodega, Liquor are not very interesting to us).
I was thinking very hard about a small AIRBNB unit....but that price might be a bit to low, considering also one has to furnish the place and put AC units.
Any ideas that would assist here would be very welcome.....But, only clean and nice businesses...no money lending or funny stuff.

Thank you for your input in advance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Given the right area... I like a laundry..

Imported equipment... washer , dryer, ironing press
You would be surprised at how many do not have dryers.....
hence - no rainy day business

Propane conversion to the dryers...
faster & more economical

Find a neighborhood in need... sin lavanderia
I bet there are plenty

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I've been told by a Dominican-American who was in the business, that apartments are the only safe place in LRD to put your money.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes...and other languages....here for 14 years now.........
Not USA Citizen though....lived in the USA for 18 years.

That's good! May I ask what you do for a living? Are you looking for investing and just getting a return on it or do you want to invest and also work like selling products in the DR market? I ask since you looked at nails etc.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
That's good! May I ask what you do for a living? Are you looking for investing and just getting a return on it or do you want to invest and also work like selling products in the DR market? I ask since you looked at nails etc.

Either way is fine.....Nails was given as an example of what would not be of interest.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I suppose - thinking bigger

you need an idea you could 'chain' - replicate in other cities, areas
Sell the model to local entrepreneurs...

Create a brand/image...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Either way is fine.....Nails was given as an example of what would not be of interest.

RULE number one...

do NOT consider doing anything a Dominican can copy with success. the minute it starts to gain traction, 90 guys on your street will be opening the same business.

a year ago, you could see people selling used clothes and sneakers in the flea market. today, every other person in Puerto Plata has them hanging in the front yard.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have access to products (supplements) they would not be able to copy (well at least not too many... :D) and I can have the exclusive distribution rights for the DR for them.

This would work for direct sell to supermarkets etc., or something like WW mentioned. Yet, I did not do a lot of research yet to figure all this out, like customs (ugh), permissions etc. but it is a good brand sold on Amazon Europe (I manage the shop ;)).

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
To leave the Dr with 1 million, bring 2

Good day all!
My biz partner and I closed a biz transaction and will be receiving 100K each this week. He is in the Philippines and he will invest in 2 small type businesses.
I will have approx. USD$60,000 to 70,000 to invest in Santo Domingo.
(Hair, Nails, Bodega, Liquor are not very interesting to us).
I was thinking very hard about a small AIRBNB unit....but that price might be a bit to low, considering also one has to furnish the place and put AC units.
Any ideas that would assist here would be very welcome.....But, only clean and nice businesses...no money lending or funny stuff.

Thank you for your input in advance.

Hi, there is a saying; If you want to leave the DR with a million, come with 2.
If you compare the total amount you have available to the income of a average Dominican, it seems high. To be honest; to open a decent business that generates enough $ to "feed" 2 Gringos; 160K is nothing. First of all; you need enough money on the side to operate the business for 2 years without having one costumer for the entire period. Why is this !? Nobody is waiting for your Business !!! There is absolutely nothing that doesn't already exist several times.
So you need to grow your Business and this is extremely slow here. The only advise i will give you is; look for something that generates Cash. As less credit card payments as possible and zero Official invoices. If you start paying tax on every sale you make, you never make it.
Good Luck

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Every item that is food or food related or comes in direct contact with the skin, does require a sanitary permit.
Calculate 2-3 k per item. Supermarkets pay after 90 days. You have to supply them with your goods for 3 month until your first invoice get's paid. Supplying to supermarkets is for millionaires.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hi, there is a saying; If you want to leave the DR with a million, come with 2.
If you compare the total amount you have available to the income of a average Dominican, it seems high. To be honest; to open a decent business that generates enough $ to "feed" 2 Gringos; 160K is nothing. First of all; you need enough money on the side to operate the business for 2 years without having one costumer for the entire period. Why is this !? Nobody is waiting for your Business !!! There is absolutely nothing that doesn't already exist several times.
So you need to grow your Business and this is extremely slow here. The only advise i will give you is; look for something that generates Cash. As less credit card payments as possible and zero Official invoices. If you start paying tax on every sale you make, you never make it.
Good Luck
I would suggest a business where you import customer revenue.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Looking at a big picture -

The good thing about Dominicans being poor is they can't start up against something that needs a bit of capital.
That in itself is some protection.

The idea of a business they need is a key one.
Laundry is what I came up with - they are a clean bunch - have no dryers.

Capital costs of entry exist - but not onerous... protection from competition.

They love the LG, Samsung et al washing machines.
A dryer (propane) pops their eyes open.
They have no idea what a dryer dried towel feels like.....

I sure as hell know what a line dried towel scrapes like.

Opening special promotion idea -
free towel drying - 1 per customer

Food is death in all countries - IMO.... too much oversight/restrictions

Question is a fun one
Whether anything will come of it .... another matter.

I lived in a college town once - alundry heaven.

One smart operator combined a pool hall, bar and laundry
With pick-up & drop-off... customers and laundry
No drunks on the road - fed and watered them , drove them home.

In the USA, Maytag will set you up.... cookie cutter deals... not franchised
just equipment sales

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
You want to make a lot of money (mostly cash) open a miniature golf course. Everyone can play. Lots of people with discretionary income in the Capital looking for something to do.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
You want to make a lot of money (mostly cash) open a miniature golf course. Everyone can play. Lots of people with discretionary income in the Capital looking for something to do.

I could imagine the lot needed for this would crush the budget seeing the prices for solares en Santo Domingo...

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Helloooo you where in the DR ???

Looking at a big picture -

The good thing about Dominicans being poor is they can't start up against something that needs a bit of capital.
That in itself is some protection.

The idea of a business they need is a key one.
Laundry is what I came up with - they are a clean bunch - have no dryers.

Capital costs of entry exist - but not onerous... protection from competition.

They love the LG, Samsung et al washing machines.
A dryer (propane) pops their eyes open.
They have no idea what a dryer dried towel feels like.....

I sure as hell know what a line dried towel scrapes like.

Opening special promotion idea -
free towel drying - 1 per customer

Food is death in all countries - IMO.... too much oversight/restrictions

Question is a fun one
Whether anything will come of it .... another matter.

I lived in a college town once - alundry heaven.

One smart operator combined a pool hall, bar and laundry
With pick-up & drop-off... customers and laundry
No drunks on the road - fed and watered them , drove them home.

In the USA, Maytag will set you up.... cookie cutter deals... not franchised
just equipment sales

There are tens of thousands of locals that are so loaded with cash that you can't even imagine. But i do have to support your idea about washing and dry cleaning to 100%, There are very few and the ones that exist are extremely expensive. Only downside; you need a good location at least for the collection spot. And good locations cost a lot of money.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh I know about the RICH crowd...

Laundry is beneath them - IMO... too pedestrian

Pedestrian is what we need

Any retail, needs a location....

As to your headline...
I live in Cabrera on the North Coast

I overlook the oldest lighthouse in the New World

Many of those 'Ricos' have never seen this part of their country
That's another story which I have posted before

But there are 'underground' ricos here.... almost invisible until they stand on their stash.

I would lose a money stacking contest every time...