Alameda Santo Domingo

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi,

has anybody insights about Alameda, Santo Domingo? Any opinion welcome. :)

Lots of (big) houses for sale (recently?)...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hi,

has anybody insights about Alameda, Santo Domingo? Any opinion welcome. :)

Lots of (big) houses for sale (recently?)...

Did you ever end up taking a look at Colinas del Oeste? Prolongacion 27 Feb behind the new Bravo?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
What I do not like too much is too many big barrios too close by...

You don't belong in Santo Domingo then. There isn't an area we can afford without barrios close by.

That's why good security is a must. Colinas is closed access with a armed security gate, and security motor cycles and vans patrol at night.

Don't look at it on google maps, go there and look at the place.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am doing perfectly fine in SD, thank you. ;)

I am not that much concerned about security. I am living in the DR since 20 years and know my way around mostly.

There are many other reasons I would like to stay away as far as possible from barrios (noise (!!!), "production of mosquitos", motos etc., vendedores ambulantes (I hate this a**hole (no pun) selling toilet paper - "hay papeles" - that walks the nearby barrio (Manganagua - we live one corner from the "border" to it in Los Restauradores) here every afternoon for example :D).

I am perfectly fine with the rented PH we live in. I am planning ahead, we want to buy in the future and when I buy it has to be as much as close to perfect as possible for us and that means as far away from any barrio but as close to the center as possible.

I know it is not an easy task. :D

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I am not that much concerned about security. I am living in the DR since 20 years and know my way around mostly.

There are many other reasons I would like to stay away as far as possible from barrios (noise (!!!), "production of mosquitos", motos etc., vendedores ambulantes (I hate this a**hole (no pun) selling toilet paper - "hay papeles" - that walks the nearby barrio (Manganagua - we live one corner from the "border" to it in Los Restauradores) here every afternoon for example :D).

I am perfectly fine with the rented PH we live in. I am planning ahead, we want to buy in the future and when I buy it has to be as much as close to perfect as possible for us and that means as far away from any barrio but as close to the center as possible.

it may be difficult to buy anything in Colinas. Most were sold before they were built, due to the quality of construction and quality of life we enjoy there.

it's a quiet residential area with no colmados, vendors, mosquitoes, motorcycles, etc. The outside colmado delivery motorcycles have to be quiet in order to enter or the guards don't let them in.

But if I were looking to buy, I'd want something high with a good generator and elevators too.

Edit: As nice as it is, I'm planning on moving. I'm not too keen on buying (but not ruled out) and I know I can find something a little closer to my work for much less than half of what I pay now for rent.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

You know what you want, and know the area ; the rest is settlement strategy.
I may be in rural elCampo but the same applies here.
Same brand of Bandidos, Music (noise), moto's and interference with a tranquil life.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
it may be difficult to buy anything in Colinas. Most were sold before they were built, due to the quality of construction and quality of life we enjoy there.

it's a quiet residential area with no colmados, vendors, mosquitoes, motorcycles, etc. The outside colmado delivery motorcycles have to be quiet in order to enter or the guards don't let them in.

But if I were looking to buy, I'd want something high with a good generator and elevators too.

I think there is a lot for sale but this comes too early for me... :)

https://www.corotos.com.do/santo_do...enos/Solar_Colinas_del_Oeste_330m_9474604.htm

Also a bit expensive...

I am undecided if it will be a PH (easier to find close to the center) or a house with garden for the kids which I am starting to prefer if buying.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think there is a lot for sale but this comes too early for me... :)

https://www.corotos.com.do/santo_do...enos/Solar_Colinas_del_Oeste_330m_9474604.htm

Also a bit expensive...

I am undecided if it will be a PH (easier to find close to the center) or a house with garden for the kids which I am starting to prefer if buying.

Colinas has some very strict rules that have to be followed if you buy land there. No sitting on a lot or building 100 blocks at a time once a month. When you buy, plans have to be approved ahead of time, construction has to start AND finish within a set period of time with daily fines if you don't comply.

Once you visit and see the level of housing being built there, you'll see what I mean. There are lots of expensive homes there, and what is under construction is active. (with the exception of one or two old constructions)

Myself, I am a "house with a yard" kind of guy, and they are getting harder and harder to find in good condition.

I have bought and flipped a few and made excellent profit doing it, but I may have done my last one. I keep looking though. There are diamonds in the rough to be found.