Latin American Wings.........clipped

Jan 9, 2004
La Romana, Dominican Republic.- Chilean low-cost airline Latin American Wings (LAW) has stranded hundreds of passengers during four days at the airports of Santiago and La Romana in the Dominican Republic, sparking heated protests.

Some 70 Chileans, who were on vacation in the Dominican resort at Punta Cana accuse LAW of abandoning them at La Romana Airport (75 km from Punta Cana) after the plane that had to fly them to Santiago, Chile last Saturday never arrived.

“Nobody tells you anything, there is no official communication, there is no mail. They had made a priority line to board a flight, which were sick people, people with a baby, and this line never made it to boarding,” Francisca Hidalgo, an affected passenger, told local radio.

Chilean TV showed tourists waiting at the Dominican airport for the airline to fly them back to Chile.

In a statement, LAW said the flight from the Dominican Republic was canceled due to “operational problems” adding that they are paying “accommodation, board and transfer to the affected people.”

From today's Dominican Today.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am starting to think that some of these airlines are about as well capitalized and have the business acumen of someone moving down here to open a beach restaurant/bar.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am starting to think that some of these airlines are about as well capitalized and have the business acumen of someone moving down here to open a beach restaurant/bar.

It all depends on the amount of detergent people opt to utilize within their laundry cycles.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I heard that the LAW B737 at LRM had a problem with the nose landing gear.  I was shown photos of a sheared towing attachment on the nose leg.  This is usually caused by incorrect ground handling procedures and grounds the plane until inspections and repairs can be made.

Feb 7, 2007
That's the problem of small airlines with just a few planes (or one)... Everything is great until the IROPS hit... Then the * hits the fan.