do you know this snake?

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
I saw in my backyard a lime green(the colour of banana leaves) snake 2.5 feet - well , he was really on the deck. I wondered what his name is - on a photo site he looks very much like a UROMACER CATESBYI. Is there a more common name? And is it a problem having it around? Any reptile enthusiasts out there who can give me info about this snake?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The snake is a common green snake that is harmless although I'm told his bite can give you an infection. I've seen them usually feed on tree frogs. As with most snakes, they will leave you alone and leave the area given a chance. I don't know the specific Dominican name for it. I just call it a green snake.

Green-Tree-Snake (Leptophis ahaetulla)

This is a very long and thin green snake which lives in low dense brush where it blends with its surroundings. It feeds mainly on lizards and frogs. It has a mild poison which isn't dangerous to humans, but large specimen can inflict a painful bite. This snake can be aggressive if caught.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I clicked to view this post, thinking you were talking about someone. I thought I might know him. Carry on with your discussion. lol.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
that is the uromancer or Green Snake. They are very common, but Dominicans are petrified of them and will kill them on site.

There are a few large snakes here but none of them are venemous...Some are quite smelly if aroused: That is to say that they exude a really repugnant odour if you try and handle them...

I used to see a lot of them in the banana fields...

HB

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
Venomous snakes?

Are there any really poisonous snakes in the DR?

If so........what are they?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
This one's for the birds

I was about to ask if anyone knew where I could get a good book on the birds of the DR (or a good website) but I found one myself.

If you're interested:
<http://www.drbirds.com/>

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
SNAKES

HB,

Thanks. I didn't think so but my last experience in the DR was about 16 years ago.

BTW: It was mostly all good :)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
There are no poisonous snakes in the DR....

Hb

Reference today's news:

Jaime David's proclamation that there are no poisonous snakes in the DR wasn't good enough for me. So, I Googled "are there any poisonous snakes in the DR?" and this specific post by Hillbilly came up.

Gotta love living in the information age. We live in interesting times.

RHM

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
A tale about the green snake in the country side is that it whips you all the way to your home. When I visited the country side and I was always told that If I see a green snake to start running because if it caught you it will give a good whipping.