private schools in DR

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Several DR1 posters have metioned that good private schools in the DR can cost just as much as good private schools in the USA. I dont undersatand how the free market has not stepped in with equally good, but lower priced private schools.

1. Am I wrong in assuming that the all the very good schools are also very expensive?

2. Since there is a large number of college graduates in the DR, it should be realtively easy to gather good talent at a lower cost.

3. is it the case that there are only so many families who can afford to pay even a small amount for private schools?

4. Is there a market for good schools at a reasonable price?

Heck, I can think of many people on this board living in the DR who are supremely qualified (although they may not come cheap).

What am I missing?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
#2's got it !

There have been/are two or three private schools operating in the area I live in. While these schools are definitely "better" than the public schools they are not the "best" available. They are affordable but only to upper middleclass families (mostly extranjeros who either own their own business or work for "foreign companies" that pay them in equivalent to US$).
The average Dominican can not afford these schools or can afford to send their children on a "part-time" basis only (usually a 1/2 day every Saturday)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just my experience....

From talking to ppl at Metro Golf Club (usually Americans), from talking to ppl in our building (mostly Italians who own restaurants), my maid (who works for two other ppl as well and sends her daughter part-time) and a nanny like myself (Spanish) whose grandson attends an "English" (American run) school and from talking to several teachers I know who teach in a couple different schools.
I'm surprised you haven't had more responses to this yet......
Everyone must be "off" for Semana Santa!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago has three or four bilingual or English language schools that cost more than a University degree.
The Spanish language schools- De La Salle, Sacred Heart, Colegio Dominicano also cost more than the University.
To my way of thinking, they are basically stealing the money. There is no such thing as quality education. The kids graduate with a terribly limited vocabulary-un able to read and comprehend a newspaper and very poor math skills.
Oh the curriculum 'looks' great, but the delivery, content and application leave too much to be desired. I jokingly call them "bachiburros" and ask them to go back to their schools and demand their money back.
Yet, there are some very bright kids that do not let themselves get caught up in the pay your money and get your degree syndrome of the high schools. A good example is the PIB. Taught by nuns in a little school in a tiny town, she emerged to success at the university level and in business as well. However, she had a Mom that was / is a teacher and who demanded a lot from her. She is more the exception than the rule.
You can go to any classroom in any university in the country
and find an incredible number of students just filling seats. If you were to give them any of the daily newspapers and asked them to read an article from the OP-ED page, they might stumble thru, but would be unable to tell you what they just 'read' .
i have oftentimes day dreampt of starting a good highschool, just to teach reading and writing and 'rithmatic......Costs are very high... But I still dream..

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
HB......

Maybe the RN who's thinking of bringing her young children down here (especially the "special" needs child) should read the above post. Did you post it on that thread as well??

MrBean

Mar 24, 2002
"good" is relative...

Well, my kid is at CMS, which is supposed to be one of the best private schools here. I don't like it. If I knew then what I know now, I would have seriously considered an alternative school here (Montessori, Community for Learning). (This is what we are doing for our next posting). I think they charge a lot at CMS because there isn't really any alternative. It is the only school with info on the internet (or it was when we arrived). They do have the most resources (playgrounds, attractive classrooms, computers, what I hear is a really good optimal learning center for kids with difficulties) but I have some issues with the school itself...

I think there might be a market for a small and truly GOOD private school here, at least among the diplomatic crowd and middle class (not stinking rich) dominicans... Not all of us want our kids to go to an "american" international school--an alternative using european and canadian ;-) curriculi could be very welcome...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Carol Morgan is by far the best of the English language schools. The question is, is it worth it if you are not going to live in the States or Canada? I would prefer Loyola or Calazanz(?) there in Santo Domingo. Most of the other schools are rather yuppy, in bred, and only give token value to being human.

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
St.Thomas School?

I visited St Thomas School last week.Only to take a quick "look-see" and pick-up their manual.It is immaculate! Saw a "large" are that was their "clinic",and the Counselors" office.Tuition runs from about 38,000 pesos/year for "Kindergarden",to around 70,000 for a new student in 19th. grade!Anyone have more experiance with this school?

Stlougrrrl

Mar 22, 2002
Q for HB (or anyone I guess)

HB wrote:
"You can go to any classroom in any university in the country
and find an incredible number of students just filling seats. If you were to give them any of the daily newspapers and asked them to read an article from the OP-ED page, they might stumble thru, but would be unable to tell you what they just 'read' . "

(How do you guys get your quotes to look like actual inserted quotes by the way?)

So, why do you think this is HB? Are the teachers not qualified or is it the fault of the administrative staff overseeing the tests/grades? Do the students "know" they aren't receiving a good education?

I think you should go for your dream and enlist the help of the people on this board. :)

MJN

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
follow up question for all...

Are there any internationally accepted standardized tests given to DR high school kids? Are the US SAT's administered in the DR? Am i correct in assuming that there are many qualified people in the DR who would be able to provide quality education? Does anyone know what teachers make in the DR?

sorry for all the questions,
mondongo

Trivalent

Jan 31, 2002
British Curriculum

There is a private school that has a british curriculum. It is Abraham Lincoln School in La Romana. I am not sure what their admission criteria is today.

HB: As far as Carol Morgan being the best by far. I don't think so, but I am a little biased. There is a major difference between the academic requirements of the british system vs. an american based system.

I graduated from ALS. When I came to states for college, my first two years in math and sciences were basically a repeat of my last two years of high school. I did a lot of partying those first two years.:)

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Thank you, Trivalent.
You have just stated why I homeschool my children.
I could move to the DR and use Abeka, Alpha Omega, or another good curriculum to homeschool and/or supplement my children's education, and be far above the education they would receive in the US.
mainer

PS Our local school is on their fourth year of writing a curriculum, and surrounding middle and high schools have had "outbreaks" of suicide attempts.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Eric,
They are all available via internet. Saxon is an excellent math program. If this is too off topic, leave an email address and I will e-mail you with specifics if you like.
mainer

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Trivalent...

Did you go directly from high school in DR to college in USA? What kind of accreditation does your school need to have your curriculum accepted by US colleges? Did you take any standardized tests in the DR upon graduation?

thanks, mondongo

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Mondongo,
I certainly cannot answer your questions on what US colleges look for in foreign High Schools.
But I do know that when I went to college in the 80's we had students from the Dominican Republic, Aruba, South America, etc. Diversity is a big thing here for colleges. We have students from x numbers of countries is often touted in their catalogs.
If I homeschool through High School, I will have to show that my kids have fulfilled the basic requirements of HS education. 4 Englishes, Math, etc. Sometimes colleges have asked to review a curriculum. But the kids get in. Most schools offer remedial classes if a student is lacking in a certain subject. (I don't know about Harvard, Yale, etc. I am talking about your average private college with tuition of about $15,000-$30,000 per year)

Trivalent

Jan 31, 2002
Re: Mondongo

Yes, I went from High School in DR to College in the states.

My school was accredited by a British board (I am not sure if I have the right terminology). In my application packets I had the curriculum and an accreditation letter from this third party board.

I took the SATs while in DR. Once after 10th grade and then again mid-senior year.

I applied to six schools and got accepted to all. No one every requested more info on the curriculum or the school. I did very well on the SATs and I think that went a long way.

Trivalent