Armed Security Guards

Tank

Mar 23, 2002
My house was broken into, my wife and I tied up, my maid raped all at gun point in Boca Chica. Can anyone recommend an armed guard service?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Domincan Watchmen

I've seen them patrolling quite a few private and public establishments............

Hope you're ok.......the situation is getting desperate here isn't it!
And the US deportations of known Domincan "bad guys" hasn't helped!

(from one who was mugged at machete point!)

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
From what I've been hearing lately Boca Chica is getting worst. The same thing happened to a friend of mine in his home. He was lucky and ran them off. The following week it happened to the guy accross the street. Some say it is the police themselves. My point, if it is the cops, would an armed guard do any good?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Under "Vigilantes" , yeah, just like in English, there are a couple of pages of them in the yellow pages.

they are expensive.

2) Call Jim Hinsch and tell him that you are disappointed in "his" town.

3) Go to any of the armer?as, also in the phone book, get a sawed off 12 ga. and a box of shells and hire the meanest M.F. you can find for about RD$4,500 a month and find (f00d).
Your initial costs will be higher than a Vigilante but you will get better service. Treat him like a reclute in the Army. Rigid disclipline, but fair. He will get more take-home than a Vigilante and be "yours". Take him out into the fields and show him how to use the shotgun....I am supposing that you know how??

HB

4) Move outta there!! Go North!!

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Wow, that is awful! Sorry to hear that. Why does it seem that Boca Chica (from Posts) is so much worse for crime and violence than other places in the D.R?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Sorry to hear that, Tank
how did the brake in happen ??
did you let them in like a home invasion type attack.??
was the door unlocked ??
did they brake through your iron protrection??
what time of the day did it happen ??
anf how many of them??

if a few of them what can one armed guard do.?
he would probably be asleep any way.
thats what most of them do here.
For that reason i am hesitant to arm my guard.

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
Seguro's

HB,

Does your post mean that you would trust a human being that you pay $US 275.00 per month "plus Food" to take a shotgun and guard your family with his life 24/7??

For that ammount all I would expect is a guy who would know all the security in the house after awhile and then sell that info to some "Real Hard Dudes"

I don't think so. :(

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, I would expect him to work 10 -12 hour shifts at night.
He would have a watchman's clock and have to key in at certain intervals. He would have whistle, large Maglite, and weapon.

He would be making the equivelent of a Sargent's pay inthe Army.
He would be very happy and loyal...Remember, I said discipline but fair...

How much do you think the armed guards provided by Dominican Watchman get paid?? A lot less, friend bichondad. a lot less.

Another problem with contracted men is that they are less screened than your 'guy' . And they get no support from their agency other than being picked up and delivered-most of the time. Can you sit there and eat three squares a day plus snacks and beers and stuff, knowing that this guy will go 12 hours without so much as a glass of water, unless you give it to him? I don't think so...Golo maybe, but not you....(what a dig at poor TW..)hehehe--

This 'guy' will, for all intents and purposes, become a valued member of the family.

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with HB.......

He knows what he's talking about..........

Reminds me of a little shoeshine boy we met, the first time we came here, in San Pedro.......We left the resort to go to town to buy some T-shirts and some medicine for one of the group that suffered a reaction to the sun. When we got off the bus in SP we asked a little boy about 8yrs old where to find a pharmacy. He not only showed us the pharmacy, he took us on a tour of SP,showed us everything there was to see (even the picture of the three founding fathers), took us to a "local" store where we could buy the T-shirts cheaper than in the "tourist" stores.It was three years before we understood just everything he had showed us-the cathedral,the fire hall etc.because we didn't understand him very well at the time.
We bought him lunch (argued a bit with the restaurant owner who didn't want him in the restaurant) and gave him about 20 pesos at the end of the day. Every time we went to SP for years after that this "boy" would spot us and come to accompany us, carry our bags to the "parada" etc. We always fed him, gave him a few pesos and one time even bought him a new outfit (shorts,T-shirt, and flip-flops). He's now a young man-employed, and still comes to visit us in JD at least once a year when we're here.
The only thing he has every asked us for was one year he asked if we could "help" a friend of his get a "Visa" to the USA. He even brought his friend's passport & cedula to show us that his friend was legal and had his papers. I wish I could have helped but we're not American......

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Momma c I dont know whats happned to Boca Chica its changed a lot. You said younot North American where are you from??. I feel bd for you also Tank. ut take Hillbillys advise hes usally right on target. And your guard would turn into more or less like a family memeber then an employee . I would if I had the wherewithall even invite his family if he was married to come for like Sunday dinners etc. Good luck

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Please Read this Similar Thread --->

"DR1 Forums > Open > unsecured streets in dr?"

[ click on --->

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=77476#post77476

The importance of these two threads, "unsecured streets ..." and "Armed Security Guards", is quite obvious as they address a very important issue, personal safety. As I read these threads I think how the DR has changed over the years and the difficult path that leads to it's future. Please don't get me wrong, the rate of violent crime in the DR no where approaches that of the USA. Just last week, (here in N Calif..) authorities fished five bodies out of a lake, the victims of a kidnapping, ransom scheme. Already six suspects have been arrested and there's a good chance that others will go to jail, it's a Russian Mafia thing. The victims are Russian as are the suspects.

I read these DR antidotes and always wonder do the perpetrators of these crimes ever get punished?

regards,

CES"

ps . . . the "watchman" advise that HB gives is 'spot on' and is by far the way for expats to secure their property; home, businesses, etc. . . .

Mar 21, 2002
The only solution

Between the population explosion in the DR and the eventual mass migration of Haitans plus deported criminals and corrupt cops the DR is only going to get worse.
Your best bet is to sell all and leave ASAP

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
originally posted by Onions&carrots
Between the population explosion in the DR and the eventual mass migration of Haitans plus deported criminals and corrupt cops the DR is only going to get worse.
Your best bet is to sell all and leave ASAP
Hi TW. Back from the retirement home? :D

...Ducks and runs

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Boca Chica Bashing?

This "Event" has not been verified.Could just be "Bad Mouthing" Boca Chica,like the "Posts" that read;"I always get sick when I stay at "Playa Sucia" don,t the employees wash their hands after they go to the bathroom there.Signed;Manager "Playa Limpiacita" "Tito"!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I agree, this has not been verified, and considering it is the very first post of "Tank", I'd wait for details before being concerned. And even if it were verified, yes, there is crime in Boca Chica. And everywhere else for that matter.

Was the point of the post to tell about the break in or to look for a security guard? Anybody who has a house in Boca Chica certainly knows who to ask about such things.

These types of break-ins (if it did indeed occur), are frequently inside jobs - nobody is going to go through the trouble and risk and not KNOW that there is something valuable to be gotten. These types of break-ins are pretty common in Santo Domingo and they are rarely random.

For most houses, to break in would involve cutting through steel bars and breaking down a solid wood door, or shooting through the locks.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Beg to differ

We lost a friend last month in BC to a "house breakin". It was easy. The guys kocked on the door, said they wanted to see "*****" and then drew guns........bang,bang -he was dead and the money they were looking for wasn't even there like they thought it would be.

Lilsam.....I am North American -not American as in USA. I live in Canada - the Great WHITE North!

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Ahh okay mooma c
Land of HUGE Potatoes and the place where Beer tastes almost as good as Presidente
(**GRIN**)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jiom Hinsch made a very good point: The Inside Job.

The police will usually take a good look at the servents and the servent's boyfriends in these jobs.

The upswing in the level of violance seems to indicate that the NY Boys are involved. They have absolutely nothing to fear. What? 10-15 years for capping a guy? They do that on their heads and get time off for good behavior if they belong to the right party.

I am very sorry to hear that MommC lost an acquaintence to a break-in. This is why most people with money get behind walls and guards.. Sad, sad day for all of us.

HB

P.S. Yappy dogs, very large dogs are also good safeguards against intruders. (1) If the dogs are poisoned, be extra careful and get another one! (2) Dominicans are culturally ingrained to be deathly scared of dogs. (3) they are slightly cheaper to keep than an armed guard.
Personally, we have both: 6 dogs and a watchman.. Go figure...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Thanks "MoomC"you make my point!

You post another unconfirmed report of crime, a "Murder" this time,in Boca Chica! You have a vested interest in "promoting" Juan Dolio Beach! I am not saying that your story is not true,just that your objectivity may be compromised.Just like you, as a Canadian,promote all things Canadian,when you know that the USA is much better in all areas.The highest reported AIDS rate in the Dominican Republic is in and around Juan Dolio!It is almost 4 times the rate of Boca Chica!The "Mayor" of Boca Chica told me that,so it must be true ,right? Criss Colon

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Your Right about the AIDs Criss

The "Murder" made the newspapers......big funeral in San Pedro.
Wife was Dominican, he was Italian. Worked for the Crazy Horse Ranch.
So this is not just another "un substantiated " story. The perpetrators have been arrested (one of the other persons in the house recognized one of them).
While we weren't a close friend of the desceased he had a restaurant here in JD several years back, has stayed as recently as two yrs ago at Hotel Flor di Loto here, and at one time lived in the apartment below us with his wife.

I try always to be factual in my posts......

PS my husband has family (Americans-including a brother and a sister) in NY state and NJ. Our son lives in Georgia, his wife was born in Michigan and raised in Tenessee (Chattanooga to be exact) so don't preach to me. I am well aware of the advantages and dis-advantages of BOTH countries. My son prefers the states for the amount of money he makes (he will retire very wealthy at the age of 35). My other son lives in the same city I do.....will not retire until his late 40's,early 50's but prefers to raise his children in Canada (for many reasons). I also made that choice when I married my husband-he's now glad we stayed in Canada and didn't move to the US (he lived there for 2yrs-came to Canada to visit an uncle-met this girl-stayed, got married and wanted to move back closer to his brother and sister.)
Our eyes are open and we are only slightly biased because we live where we do!

Last edited: