Buying gasoline in DR question

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Hi,
I will be renting a car in DR during my stay. (Yes, I know!)
When buying gas, do we pay first then pump, or pump first, then pay?

Also, can we pay at the pump? Is this available in Puerto Plata? (Debit/credit card)

Thanks for the help!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is no self serve in the DR. They pump first and you pay after to the attendant pumping the gas. But get out of your car and check to see that the pump reads 0 before he starts.

And they take credit/debit cards. But if I were you I would pay in pesos. Better to not use cards for gas.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
There is no self serve in the DR. They pump first and you pay after to the attendant pumping the gas. But get out of your car and check to see that the pump reads 0 before he starts.

And they take credit/debit cards. But if I were you I would pay in pesos. Better to not use cards for gas.

Hi,

thanks for the quick response.
Just trying to cut down the amount of cash that I carry.
So. looking online, gas is 187.85 RD$ per gallon, So I would need to carry about $2000-2200 or so for a 3/4 tank fill for 10 - 12 gallons.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Where I live we have no petrol station but it is sold in beer bottles. You order how many beer bottles you want and as they just pour it into the tank without a pump with a long nozzle, they have a stick to push the flap open that covers the hole the petrol goes in.

Remember to check if your car is diesel (gasoil) or petrol (gasolina) and remember you can buy two sorts of petrol, expensive and regular so you have to ask for which you want.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I use my Dominican CC to fill up and within 10 minutes of using it, usually less time, I get a text asking me if I used it as sush and such location and business. I have never been ripped off in 5 years of doing this. I never ask them to fill it up, I always ask for a specific amount in pesos.

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Where I live we have no petrol station but it is sold in beer bottles. You order how many beer bottles you want and as they just pour it into the tank without a pump with a long nozzle, they have a stick to push the flap open that covers the hole the petrol goes in.

Remember to check if your car is diesel (gasoil) or petrol (gasolina) and remember you can buy two sorts of petrol, expensive and regular so you have to ask for which you want.

Matilda

Thank you for the information Matilda!
I will be ranging from Puerto Plata to Punta Rusia, or from Puerto Plata to Samana.
Google maps shows a lot of gas stations on those routes, hope I don't have to figure out the beer bottle maths?
It is not my best subject. :)

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Canadian Bill,

Use your CC instead of carrying cash. If the CC is cloned, you lose nothing but the time on a phone call to the CC issuer and liability is on the CC not on you, bottom line; you lose nothing with a CC as payment source.

If you instead decide to carry cash, well, the risks are greater to lose it, get mugged or spend too much, in either instance you lose.

CC = no liability

Cash = many risks and all liabilities

Do you feel lucky today?

Note: I've used CC for years at every place that takes them instead of cash because of the reasons above stated.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The only place I ever only use cash to pay is at the gas station. Too many reports of cards getting cloned, I'm not interested in having to change my card which I've got automatic payments programmed on. As stated before, always keep your eye on the pump no matter the distraction tactic they might use. If you do decide to use a cc, review the amount charged before signing, they'll sometimes slip an extra digit in.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
The only place I ever only use cash to pay is at the gas station. Too many reports of cards getting cloned, I'm not interested in having to change my card which I've got automatic payments programmed on. As stated before, always keep your eye on the pump no matter the distraction tactic they might use. If you do decide to use a cc, review the amount charged before signing, they'll sometimes slip an extra digit in.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Will try to use cash, but will check online for CC issues after use. Rather stick to CC when possible. Not a fan of carrying a lot of cash.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Will try to use cash, but will check online for CC issues after use. Rather stick to CC when possible. Not a fan of carrying a lot of cash.

Get a CC with a low limit on it, maybe $1000.00 Cdn, that is not tied to your ATM card or any of your bank accounts. Use it only when travelling or when ordering online. If there are any issues, card is cancelled and reissued with new numbers. No pain, no aggravation. Just make sure the first couple of uses are in Canada so it is not flagged when in RD.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Currently on the east coast regular gasoline is $216.00RD per gallon. Hasn't been 187 in a very long time.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Most CC allow to completely shut off the "cash advance" feature or at the least, to minimize the account to barely a few Dollars available if any.

Carry enough cash to get out of any emergency and do the rest with CC as situation allows.

I've not had a hiccup just yet in the DR and I use my CCs everyday, everywhere it could be used.

Do not allow fears to become loses.

Enjoy the trip, fill up the tank at the beginning of your trip and thereafter on every other needed stop, that way the need for gas stops will be minimized and so the risks.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Nice tip!..... don't you know that regular gasoline is leaded gasoline?

That's a myth. Lead was added to gasoline in the late 50's as an anti knock compound to reduce engine knock. It was deemed a carcinogenic in the 70's and completely removed from all gasoline by the 90's. You won't find any oil companies adding it anymore as it's expensive and unnecessary as gasoline engines are far more advanced than they were almost 70 years ago.
This includes the DR where most of our petroleum products come from Venezuela.

Last edited:

Canadian Bill

Feb 5, 2018
Currently on the east coast regular gasoline is $216.00RD per gallon. Hasn't been 187 in a very long time.

We pay 1.099 per litre Canadian here so that is about $5.00/gallon Imperial

Looks like gas is about the same price, give or take a few dollars a tank.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Gasoline prices, as well as other fuels, are priced by the government agency MICM...El Ministerio de Industria, Comercio y Mipymes on a weekly basis. In each and every RD news source, search for the heading "combustibles", and you will see the current weekly prices.
https://www.diariolibre.com/economia/gasolinas-y-gasoil-bajan-entre-seis-y-ocho-pesos-XX9220321

SANTO DOMINGO. El Ministerio de Industria, Comercio y Mipymes (MICM) anunció ayer que los precios de la mayoría de los combustibles bajaron entre RD$4.00 y RD$8.00 por galón. Las variaciones se registran a partir de este sábado 17 al 23 de Febrero de 2018, con la excepción del Gas Licuado de Petróleo (GLP) que sube RD$2.00 y el Gas Natural que mantiene su precio.
Tras el anuncio de MICM la gasolina Premium se despacha a RD$225.30 por galón, y la regular a RD$210.20, ambas bajan RD$6.00.
Mientras, el gasoil regular se vende a RD$165.50 por galón, tras bajar RD$7.00, el óptimo llega al público a RD$180.60, el avtur a RD$130.90 y el kerosene a RD$157.30, todos bajaron RD$8.00. En el caso del fuel oil el galón cuesta RD$107.85, baja de RD$4.00, mientras que el GLP pasa a venderse a RD$113.30 por galón, con aumento de RD$2.00. El Gas Natural sigue a RD$28.97 por metro cúbico.

SANTO DOMINGO. The Ministry of Industry, Trade and SMEs (MICM) announced yesterday that the prices of most fuels fell between RD $ 4.00 and RD $ 8.00 per gallon. The variations are recorded from this Saturday, February 17 to February 23, 2018, with the exception of the Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) that goes up RD $ 2.00 and the Natural Gas that maintains its price.
After the announcement of MICM Premium gas is dispatched to RD $ 225.30 per gallon, and the regular RD $ 210.20, both lower RD $ 6.00.
Meanwhile, regular diesel sells for RD $ 165.50 per gallon, after lowering RD $ 7.00, the optimum reaches the public at RD $ 180.60, the avtur at RD $ 130.90 and the kerosene at RD $ 157.30, all lowered RD $ 8.00. In the case of fuel oil, the gallon costs RD $ 107.85, it drops from RD $ 4.00, while the LPG goes to sell at RD $ 113.30 per gallon, with an increase of RD $ 2.00. Natural Gas follows RD $ 28.97 per cubic meter.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listin diario helpfully gives gas prices on its website, they change weekly. currently it lists regular petrol at 210.20 pesos.

note the number 829 688 1000 which is dominican road assistance. available around DR, free of charge. they help drivers with small issues, can change tires and carry some gas they give away - enough to move the vehicle to the nearest gas station.