Jan 16, 2009
My neighborhood has something.....

vomiting, aches, fevers.......
Doesn't seem to last long but vicious

North coast.....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yes. Tourists are bringing H3N2 when they come. Flu shots here are not sought out by most so influenza runs rampant when it gets a foothold.

A lot of visitor imported colds this season too.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Where I live, Puerto Plata, it is running rampant and people are really sick from 1 to 3 weeks

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Where I live, Puerto Plata, it is running rampant and people are really sick from 1 to 3 weeks

At a Tourist destination point.
On the other hand there always seems to be a Flu going around in RD...an ''all season complaint of Grippe".

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
My neighborhood has something.....

vomiting, aches, fevers.......
Doesn't seem to last long but vicious

North coast.....

Same here. The kids have barking coughs.

A few weeks ago, I was too sick to get out of bed and take a flight to Santiago. Fortunately, I had the flu shot so I was only sick for a few days, but I was dragging for another week.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Agree with Russell.

I dont think we have seen a tourist in my campo since........ we ate the last one in 2014 ;) ;)

But there is always a grippe going around. I blame the fact that people always eat the same stuff over and over again.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Have friends with kids in the Bavaro Bilingual School and it seems to have run it's course. The wife and I had it in early January but all seems good now.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Grippe is ubiquitous ...

the hygiene - or lack thereof - may be a clue

PLus the kids are kept out of school . but still allowed to go outside and play... different concept of shaking a fever to me!
I could never understand that concept.
Russell

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sosua/Cabarete it was going around ...cough was bad for me 3 weeks flem build up also.....reminded me of whooping cough 100 day cough...wife thought I was smoking again..

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Here in the Capital many are sick with this cough/flu thing. Me it is going on 3 weeks with a cough. Started as sinus issue, then the chills/flu like, and then bronchitis. Called back to the family in the US, everyone has the same thing.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Yes. Tourists are bringing H3N2 when they come. Flu shots here are not sought out by most so influenza runs rampant when it gets a foothold.

A lot of visitor imported colds this season too.

Flu shots are pretty much useless it’s like roll of dice ...which strains are flavour for the yr.. now include all nations visiting from
Everywhere goodluck... in Canada the government picks which strain to fight  a yr in advance to make sure enough shots and doing lousy job last few yrs , can’t imagine how it’s done here.. it takes 6 months to manufacture a flu vaccine..

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
I had severe bout of nausea (and barfed big time) the morning we flew back to Punta Cana from Canada.  I think I picked it up from a nephew in Canada.  Had a day of bad body ache, then night sweats for another.  
Wife had nausea/diarrhea the day after we arrived and was totally weak and stayed in bed for 19 hours.  She was totally exhausted for about 2 days.  We both recovered around day 4.