Questions on Guns

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
Hello Everyone,

if there's a forum on this topic that covers my questions already, please share the link.

I will have my permanent residency completed this summer. Afterwards, I plan on getting a pistol and carry license. However, I don't know the complete process for that. Also, I don't know what it would take to import a gun, if possible, either. Please advise.

Secondly, I am interested in getting a rifle as well. I have no idea about any of the laws around rifles in the DR, i.e. what type, if any, are legal, importation laws, availability, where to purchase, carry restrictions, etc.

Lastly, I would like to know about ammunition availability and costs. Thanks.

Respectfully,

Sua Sponte

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
These links will get you started. The posts are a little old, but the process hasn't changed much. Owning a pistol and maintaining a valid license here is really expensive. A license for a shotgun still expensive but no ongoing costs of license renewal every year.

It is very quick to pay for a firearm at a gun store, but takes what seems like a lifetime to actually get the license. I know of one person who finally received his pistol license and then had to renew three months later as it was expiring.

Do not fall for the "waiting for the Interpol criminal record check" excuse from the Ministry. Submit a recent national criminal record check from your home country with your application.

Good luck.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/158171-Dominican-gun-permit?p=1809959&viewfull=1#post1809959

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/158171-Dominican-gun-permit?p=1712952&viewfull=1#post1712952

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...g-a-GUN-here?p=1662852&viewfull=1#post1662852

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...g-a-GUN-here?p=1662852&viewfull=1#post1662852

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Rifles are not allowed in DR only shotguns and up to 9mm handguns... importing forget about that!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Submit a recent national criminal record check from your home country with your application. "

What if your "home country" is the DR since 20 years?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Government doesn't care. If you are a foreigner, you need a clean bill of respectability from wherever you come from. If you have Dominican Citizenship, then the Ministry is generally accepting of a DR Criminal record check and they will dig deeper if they feel so inclined.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not true.[/QUOTE

You cannot legally import your own gun or ammunition. The licensing is expensive and repeated yearly for handguns including an annual ballistics check required in Santo Domingo where you personally take the weapon to be checked each and every year.

I don't know if shotgun licenses are still perpetual.

Rifles cannot be legally owned by civilians and 9 MM is the largest hand gun caliber allowed. What is not true about that for normal civilans?

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks for all of the information everybody.

I just got off of the phone with my Lawyer and evidently she stated that there's an age requirement on gun licenses of 30 years old. Does that sound correct?

And separately, does anybody know about special permits for rifles?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

I just got off of the phone with my Lawyer and evidently she stated that there's an age requirement on gun licenses of 30 years old. Does that sound correct?

To be granted a license you must be older than 30 in the recently introduced law and there are restriction on ownership by foreigners who must be resident.

There are restrictions on gun types too.

You can read the law here. I understood a rules of application was to be issued but have not seen yet.

https://www.scribd.com/document/361824815/Ley-631-16-de-Armas

Artículo 14.- Facultad para la emisión.
La emisión de licencias para la comercialización,
intermediación, tenencia y portación de armas de fuego, municiones, y otros materiales
relacionados es facultad del Ministerio de Interior y Policía (MIP), quien emitirá los
documentos correspondientes, de acuerdo a los requisitos establecidos por ley, sea para
personas físicas o jurídicas. Los requisitos son los siguientes:
1)

Para las personas físicas:
a)

Presentar cédula de identidad y electoral, carné de residencia permanente y
pasaporte, para los extranjeros residentes legales en el país.
b)

Tener la edad mínima de 30 años cumplidos.
c)

Presentar un certificado de un psicólogo acreditado, que esté afiliado al Colegio
Dominicano de Psicólogos y que preste servicio en el Ministerio de Salud Pública
y Asistencia Social.
d)

Presentar anualmente los resultados de la prueba antidopaje y alcohol, realizadas
en un laboratorio acreditado y certificado por el MIP.
e)

Presentar documentos probatorios del origen legal del arma, provenientes de
comercios autorizados por el MIP.
f)

Presentar certificado de idoneidad para el manejo de armas de fuego, emitido por
el instructor habilitado y certificado por el MIP.
g)

Someter una declaración jurada notarizada, donde la persona solicitante declare
las circunstancias objetivas que justifiquen la necesidad de la portación o tenencia
de un arma de fuego; el lugar específico de guarda de los objetos regulados por la
presente ley, que proyecten adquirir, y tener conocimiento del marco legal de la
autorización solicitada.
h)

No poseer antecedentes penales. Si el solicitante residió los últimos cinco años en
el extranjero, deberá presentar un certificado de “No Antecedentes Penales,”
apostillado por el consulado dominicano acreditado en el país de procedencia.

i)

Contratar un seguro de responsabilidad civil por los daños y perjuicios por el uso
de armas de fuego legales. Corresponderá al Ministerio de Interior y Policía
reglamentar las coberturas de dichas pólizas de seguro, dicho seguro deberá cubrir
como mínimo el período de tiempo del permiso a otorgar.
j)

Toda persona física deberá presentarse ante el Ministerio de Interior y Policía para
que realice la captura de los datos biométricos del licenciatario y las características
del arma de fuego a licenciar.
k)

Estar al día con el pago de sus impuestos. Cada dos años, a partir de otorgada la
licencia, el MIP verificará con la Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII)
este aspecto.

Last edited:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Not true.[/QUOTE

You cannot legally import your own gun or ammunition. The licensing is expensive and repeated yearly for handguns including an annual ballistics check required in Santo Domingo where you personally take the weapon to be checked each and every year.

I don't know if shotgun licenses are still perpetual.

Rifles cannot be legally owned by civilians and 9 MM is the largest hand gun caliber allowed. What is not true about that for normal civilans?

Shotgun lic. still is perpetual...there is talk about a change on that but as of now same rules..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

No rifles at all , prohibited ...politicians scared they are going to get shot from distance ;)

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Ok, I have heard of special circumstances for Security Professionals. But I'm sure that's just another case of "who you know". Thanks!

Dominican tall tales and fairy tails , no civilian ownership of rifles at all, legally.. security professionals are close up and personal
Why would they use it or want it...so you can’t import rifle you can’t buy one here , point is really mute.. don't shoot the messenger ;) pun intended..

Sua Sponte

Dec 29, 2017

Dominican tall tales and fairy tails , no civilian ownership of rifles at all, legally.. security professionals are close up and personal
Why would they use it or want it...so you can’t import rifle you can’t buy one here , point is really mute.. don't shoot the messenger ;) pun intended..

This was from a reliable source. It wouldn't be civilian ownership if it were based on profession and not recreation. Security operations vary quite a bit. There are plenty of use and or need for long barrel weapons for various environments, i.e. Short Barrel Rifles (SBR's) are popular within that field because they are close and mid range capable. Unfortunately, there's no for sure way to get such a permit from what I'm told. That's why I am asking on here to see what the DR1'ers with varying degrees of experiences and professions can advise on.

To me, the information I collect on here are just part of my due diligence. So I appreciate all relevant input.

Thanks!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Another thing to keep in mind - the are not a lot of firing ranges that the public can use and most people would have to travel a long way to get to one. There are no rifle ranges so apart from heading into the jungle and shooting cans and targets tacked to trees, there is nowhere to shoot a rifle inconspicuously.

As for the who you know comment. Are there rifles in civilian hands here, sure there are. Ammunition for them is very hard to find and impossible to buy retail. Any rifle here not in the hands of a solider or the police is not legally sanctioned and is therefore unlicensed. You can get away with a lot in this country but the two activities that tend to bring down the whole house of cards are drugs and guns. Not worth the risk just for the ability to go plinking from time to time.

May 5, 2007
This was from a reliable source. It wouldn't be civilian ownership if it were based on profession and not recreation. Security operations vary quite a bit. There are plenty of use and or need for long barrel weapons for various environments, i.e. Short Barrel Rifles (SBR's) are popular within that field because they are close and mid range capable. Unfortunately, there's no for sure way to get such a permit from what I'm told. That's why I am asking on here to see what the DR1'ers with varying degrees of experiences and professions can advise on.

To me, the information I collect on here are just part of my due diligence. So I appreciate all relevant input.

Thanks!

I could be wrong but security/short barrel rifle makes me think you are inquiring about semi or full auto weapons? If so, forget it unless well connected