Shipping a car from the DR to St. Thomas?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Quick question...Big Frank would like to know if it is economically feasible/practical to ship his 2006 Toyota Sequoia from the DR to St. Thomas?

Has anyone ever shipped a car from the DR to another country? If so, how much roughly are the costs, and what exactly is involved? Is it worth the headache?

THanks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Quick question...Big Frank would like to know if it is economically feasible/practical to ship his 2006 Toyota Sequoia from the DR to St. Thomas?

Has anyone ever shipped a car from the DR to another country? If so, how much roughly are the costs, and what exactly is involved? Is it worth the headache?

THanks

what is the cost of gas in St Thomas? i am serious, brother. those Sequoias will eat up any savings in gasoline.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

THanks

Better to sell it in DR and buy a narrower vehicle in St Thomas - plenty of roads there are tight.
But having worked a lot in St Thomas I can tell you rear wheel drive is essential because there are stops on steep steep roads and on wet days front wheel drive won't pull on the slick asphalt

Jan 9, 2004

No.

To your first question........ No...but clients have.

To your second question.....expensive.............there are no RoRo vessels (roll on roll off) that I am aware that go direct from DR to St. Thomas. Therefore you would need to container it (expensive) and it may take a circuitous route (expensive) and once landed expensive road tax based on weight will also be applied (Sequioa $1,000 est.) in addition to the other myriad of import fees.

Not to mention if the vehicle was an original DR sourced vehicle............you may now need emissions conversion, etc.

This is not even taking into account the DR costs.....the time and money to get the necessary paperwork and inspections to export it.

I could go on...but I think you get the idea.

If you were lucky you might get out for $3,500-$4,000.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
No.

To your first question........ No...but clients have.

To your second question.....expensive.............there are no RoRo vessels (roll on roll off) that I am aware that go direct from DR to St. Thomas. Therefore you would need to container it (expensive) and it may take a circuitous route (expensive) and once landed expensive road tax based on weight will also be applied (Sequioa $1,000 est.) in addition to the other myriad of import fees.

Not to mention if the vehicle was an original DR sourced vehicle............you may now need emissions conversion, etc.

This is not even taking into account the DR costs.....the time and money to get the necessary paperwork and inspections to export it.

I could go on...but I think you get the idea.

If you were lucky you might get out for $3,500-$4,000.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks for the info! I knew you would know the answer.

Frank

Stephen4425

Mar 24, 2018
You need to look here autotransportcity.com I am sure you'll get help from here.
I used this place back in Jan for a car move, it went smoothly. Post your details and wait for the bids to come in. You can then review each carrier to suit your needs.