POP Uber Experience

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I want to share a positive experience I had with Uber while in POP just a few weeks ago. My trip from Costambar to the colonial area of Puerto Plata ran me 550 Pesos due to the lockdown of business by the taxi mafia there. When I returned I ordered a ride with Uber, and I only paid 154 pesos to return. The driver told me that he can drop off in Costambar, but can not pick up passengers due to the taxi mafia's stronghold. The driver was friendly and the fare was more than reasonable. The difference of 400 Pesos is absolutely ridiculous. I am posting this to illustrate the tremendous difference in price, and hopefully others will use Uber and save some cash while on vacation or otherwise.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've had nothing but good to satisfactory experiences with Uber here on the North Coast and Santo Domingo. Uber is my first choice when I need a ride.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I want to share a positive experience I had with Uber while in POP just a few weeks ago. My trip from Costambar to the colonial area of Puerto Plata ran me 550 Pesos due to the lockdown of business by the taxi mafia there. When I returned I ordered a ride with Uber, and I only paid 154 pesos to return. The driver told me that he can drop off in Costambar, but can not pick up passengers due to the taxi mafia's stronghold. The driver was friendly and the fare was more than reasonable. The difference of 400 Pesos is absolutely ridiculous. I am posting this to illustrate the tremendous difference in price, and hopefully others will use Uber and save some cash while on vacation or otherwise.

if you need to do it again, just tell UBER to pick you up outside the gate-.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Just to clarify, as far as I've seen, this price difference is no specific to Uber, only to these "taxi-mafias". That is to say, that if you ask a regular taxi to pick you up leaving any resort, they will charge you this exact same 150 DOP per service. It's only if you leave from inside a resort, that these outrageous prices are charged.

Once, years ago, we were dining in Playa Dorada and were about to return home (POP). I asked that taxi waiting in front of the building how much for the city center - about that 550 pesos... I told him forget it, called another taxi in front of him, we walked to the gates and our taxi was already waiting there - 150 pesos and the first taxi we left fuming from anger and shouting some very nice Spanish... We went safely and quickly back home with a regular taxi...

On another occasion, I grabbed a taxi alone in the city center and told the driver where to go. He asked me if I'll pay in USD or in DOP. I answered in DOP and then asked him, why do you ask and how much would it cost if I were to pay in USD. He told me quite honestly that he/they have different pricing for DOP and USD, the USD price being multiple that of DOP...

thiawroane

Apr 11, 2013
I had a smiliar experience arriving at SDQ back in January. Uber was able to pick me up at the airport. The fare was much less expensive to Juan Dolio than a standard taxi fare. The "mafia" did not keep him out of the airport, but I could not engage Uber to pick me up in Juan Dolio to get back to SDQ. Luckily, I kept his contact info, and he picked me up in JD and dropped me back at SDQ.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I remember that taxi mafia place in Costambar well. $12 downtown was a rip off. $3 downtown is almost a loss for the driver..hope you gave them a $2 tip.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Great to hear that Uber is making inroads into the taxi mafia. I would not shed one tear to see any of these ignorant, arrogant a$$holes off the road and begging in the gutter or washing windshields.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Great to hear that Uber is making inroads into the taxi mafia. I would not shed one tear to see any of these ignorant, arrogant a$$holes off the road and begging in the gutter or washing windshields.

We seem to have found a common path of agreement.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

No windshield washers only smear your windshield

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The driver told me that he can drop off in Costambar, but can not pick up passengers due to the taxi mafia's stronghold.
I rarely use taxis and have only used Uber twice. One was a pickup in Costambar. Maybe things have tightened up since then, though.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
It's nice to hear that UBER is breaking into the mafia stronghold of Puerta Plata but they are struggling here in Santiago. Certain times of the day it takes 8-10 minutes for the car to arrive. However their biggest problem is that standard taxi firms are cheap to use.....$200 gets you anywhere in Santiago.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
I absolutely love Uber here. Most of the drivers are younger educated kids doing it for extra money. Great conversations and no hassle. Completely opposite of almost every taxi experience...!

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
Two weeks ago,i used Uber,from the bus station in Santiago,Metro.I went to Bonao,1833 pesos in Uber.Taxi wanted 2500 pesos,

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I absolutely love Uber here. Most of the drivers are younger educated kids doing it for extra money. Great conversations and no hassle. Completely opposite of almost every taxi experience...!

i experienced UBER in Santo Domingo, and it was a completely different world from regular taxis, at half the price..

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
i experienced UBER in Santo Domingo, and it was a completely different world from regular taxis, at half the price..

I used Uber in Santo Domingo and the price was the same as the taxi ride I get from my usual taxi driver. $500.DOP
As a consequence I still use my usual friendly Taxi Operator. They take me from Luperon North Shore to Los Americas Airport for $7000.00DOP Return the same day. Luperon to Santiago return and they hang around for the day is $2000.ooDOP. And to Puerto Plata $1500.DOP They will hang around for an entire day and bring us back for the same price.
I have no problems with that service and charges.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
UBER should advertise in the POP Airport. Most tourists have an UBER account and they need to know that they can use it here. I look forward to UBER being available in Sosua. It can be, there will be a demand, if the tourists use it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are a few cars available in Sosua already. Exclusively during the daytime though. Fire up your app and you can watch them scurry around.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
It's nice to hear that UBER is breaking into the mafia stronghold of Puerta Plata but they are struggling here in Santiago. Certain times of the day it takes 8-10 minutes for the car to arrive. However their biggest problem is that standard taxi firms are cheap to use.....$200 gets you anywhere in Santiago.

...I use Uber in Santiago ,was better in the beginning...now a lot of the drivers play games with the prices,you can call in the middle of the day when they are not busy only to get a reply the fare is much higher as they are very busy..call them back in 2 minutes and they are not busy... or you can be quoted a good price to starts with, then when you reach you destination the amount can be double, I just pay the low fare and walk away....anyway now when Uber wants a high price I just call a regular taxi and for less...Uber has gotten more expensive and regular taxi less..........