Yahoo Doing Something Tricky

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not DR related, but important to know if you use Yahoo mail.

Yahoo has changed its policy and will now send ALL newsletters, etc., to ALL users even though you may have previously opted out. This apparently is one of their ploys to get you to pay for premium service.

If you have a Yahoo account, go to http://subscribe.yahoo.com/showaccount. I'll be amazed if you don't find that all of the boxes have been checked "yes". If you don't want the newsletters, change the "yeses" to "nos", save the settings, then go to upper right corner link to email preferences and mark them "no" also.

By chance I learned of this through another message board that I monitor.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Wow thanks
they sure did I reset mine the even had my telephone and reg mail address set for marketting !!!

==)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Trouble is, we have to much faith.

Those agreements we are usually asked to accept when we sign up for service are so long that few of us bother to ready them. I know I don't. But the Yahoo agreement, and I'll bet those of many other service providers, allow them to change their policies without giving us notice.

In this case, there are likely to be millions of Yahoo users who won't know that anything has changed until their mail boxes start filling up with unwanted newsletters and their phone starts ringing. Hopefully then they will be able to find out where to go to stop the deluge. The easy way, of course, will be for them to sign up for the paid "Premium" service.

Personally, I don't blame service providers for instituting paid service. To stay in business, they have to make a profit somehow. If ads don't do it, at least in part because so many of us are blocking them with ad and popup killers, cookie controlers, etc., then their only other alternative is user pay. I accept that. What I don't like are sneaky manuevers, like the one by Yahoo, which are more likely to anger many potential buyers of service enough for them to look for other providers, and which undermine the confidence you should have in a service that has access to considerable personal information about its clients.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
shall we go back to hotmail ?

For my business, I use a yahoo adress thru the Outlook Express. I received a warning from Yahoo that from the 26 of next month it won't work anymore... Makes me feel like going back to my hotmail adress, which I abandoned 2 years ago, cos' the Yahoo one was better...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It will work if you change to the paid service. Hotmail is also going to initiate a paid service. Some free mail providers have shut down, others have switched or are switching to paid service to survive. I think we are seeing the end of free email.

One option that more and more people are considering is to set up your own domain. Then you can have a permanent address. If one service provider closes, you can switch your address to another. In fact, with many of the domain hosts you can have multiple accounts so other members of your family have the same .com address (e.g., john@family.com;mary@family.com;harry@family.com) This is paid service, but no more than is being asked by the providers (e.g. Yahoo) that are phasing out free service for paid.

Another advantage is that if you don't like the service you get from one host, you can switch your address to another. That is not possible with a Yahoo or Hotmail account.

email clients

Yahoo has its drawbacks, they reset me and I never used it, I signed up to play on line cribbage and got an email address, I checked and changes all the preferences and went to inbox and had a whole slew of mail, I moved to filters and blocked them all.
Hotmail has a lot of shortfalls as well, especially when receiving large files, and yes they are going to a premiun service.
Why not try others I use swiftdesk and never ave received a spam mail yet. I also use beer.com for an address for another venture I am involved with and no spam gets through their filters,
Can you imagine an email address like squat @beer.com
or hillbilly @beer.com
Try one they are free.

arroyodmb

Mar 13, 2002
Using my Yahoo account for e.mail I very seldom get spam. When I got one letter this morning, and I am not complaining people get hundreds of spam e.mails. When this post first appeared I followed the instructions and adjusted my account.

This time when I received the unsolicited e.mail I went to check my account and I was given the run around. The sent me several times to the same"my accounts page" or "Yahoo! accounts information" page regardless of which link I used from above and I could not find any where to check the marketing preferences.

Is this only happening with me or have they changed things again?