I can't believe it.Ddid anybody hear about this?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
A recent outbreak of the paralyzing viral infection polio in Haiti and the Dominican Republic has been traced to a strain of oral polio vaccine (OPV) that mutated back to virulence, according to international health officials.

Based on genetic analysis of viral samples, they believe the outbreak, which struck nearly two dozen children in both countries between 2000 and 2001, arose from OPV given to one child in 1998-1999.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/mar/30/polio.htm

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
use the vaccine

There is a vaccine IPV which should be used in place of the oral polio. The oral polio vaccine is pretty much obsolete. (At least in the US.)

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
woops

Sorry, I should have stated that this is an injection which does not carry the live virus.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Check your source!

The "Doctor"Mercola, is a "Health Nut" who thinks that you can stop polio outbreaks with good nutrition!I,ll take the "shot" thank you!Next "News" story please! Nice to see "Momi-2-Cents" has an "opinion"!...as always!Criss Colon

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
forgive me for being underwhelmed with this story...

...since innoculation is, after all, a medical procedure and every procedure is subject to inherent risk.

was it the wrong choice to use a process that innocculates the largest amount of people for the lowest cost? i don't think so. read these quotes from the mercola link:

"...OPV continues to be the standard in developing countries, however, because it is cheaper and easier to administer, doesn't require supplies of sterile needles and is more effective than IPV at preventing outbreaks...."

and in the end wasn't the outbreak the result of lifestyle choices? parents who chose not to innoculate their child or failed to ensure the boosters were received combined with poor hygiene and/or poor sanitation practices :

"...After a person receives OPV, virus from the vaccine is shed in the stools for a short period of time. In this outbreak, shed virus from a single OPV dose spread and mutated back to a virulent state, causing paralytic disease in a group of children who had either not been vaccinated or had not received a complete course of OPV..."

mob

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Go to quackbuster.com to learn more about the wonderful Dr. Mercola. I would also draw your attention to the pending lawsuit against him in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois. I've heard of this guy before.

Isaac Green

Jan 28, 2002
Clone, what nerve you have to think that MommC is hogging attention, you are the hogg

Baby Christopher,
I personally find the posts offered by Momm C to
be of far more practical utility, over and above
the kiddie offerings you usually contribute.

Does the little baby want the bottle now?
Ok and afterwards I will burb the baby.

And lay the baby down for a nap, since you refuse
to growup I must treat you like the baby that
it is appearing you are.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It was "YOU"! The Lawyer "formerly known "as"

"Chicago Chris"!At least I could "Spell" Chicago!He couldn,t mean me,"Santo Domingo Criss",I don,t even know this guy,"I-Sick" Green I think he calls himself? Hi Chris,when you due back?Soon I hope I need some "Left-Overs"! Criss

Last edited:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
ASAP

Got two jury trials and a side trip to Venezuela this month so I can't get down there this month. Maybe late May. And in that post above, please correct your do due.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Falling Down

Oh, BTW Criss, I told my secretary that story about when you fell coming out of that place. She laughed her secretary spread off!!