Need Info about Juan Dolio area

Jerry Raznov

Apr 7, 2002
Hi, we're arriving on Thurs and will be staying at the Barcello Capello Resort in the Juan Dolio area. How remote is this? We normally don't like compounds that isolate tourists, but wanted a beach area.

Is there a walk to town nearby with car rental agencies? Or a public bus we can take into Santo Domingo? Location of an Internet cafe?

In short, what is the transportation situation? What is the parking situation in SD?

Also, any chance of hooking up with a sailor nearby who has a boat we can go out on with him/her for a fee for part of the day? We own a sailboat up north here.

Looking forward to seeing SD again. Two years ago we stayed in Punta Cana and hated the isolation of the location. Last time we stayed in SD was 27 years ago and drove with our two children all over the island. Great people, beautiful place.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Have a great time!!!

Your resort is a wonderful resort in the heart of JD. It is on the beach and also on the boulevard where you'll find lots of little shops, bars, clubs. Walk up Past Best Western Metro on Monday night to Giulia's Cafe where they have a live band to merengue to every Monday. Yehuda (Giulia's other half) is Jewish and can tell you a bit about the Jewish community here.
There are taxi's available right outside the hotel entrance or up the street close to Metro.
The bus for Santo Domingo stops on the main highway just up the road to the left as you exit the main entrance to La Cappella. Also there is an internet cafe right across the street from the entrance in the Colonial Tropical Plaza.
Boats may be "hired" at Best Western/Metro Marina.

While Punta Cana is very isolated Juan Dolio is in the "heart" of the south shore tourist area.
Hop the bus one day to Boca Chica (Jim Hinch's favorite place) The beach there is fabulous and there are many little souvenir shops on the street closest to the beach.
If you play golf you can arrange transport from La Cappella to Metro Golf (really nice course), just ask at the front desk. Say hello to Heath Hampton- the golf pro- for me!
Have a great time and if you feel so inclined walk or bike down to Juan Dolio public beach and have a cool one or a cappucino at Il Cappucino, on the beach!

See posts also under "Is there such an animal" thread in this forum

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Jerry.....

Saw Yehuda tonight and mentioned you might be stopping by. He said -sure, no problem!
Who knows ....if I don't leave until Monday maybe I'll see you there!
If not say hi to Guilia.....from Deborah & Tony!

RJK

Apr 4, 2002
Thanks!

I couldn't believe that I saw your message! We'll be arriving at Barcelo Capella on Monday and we have also been to Punta Cana. Punta Cana was a great getaway, it was just me and my husband for only 4 days. Now we're going for the week with our twins. I'm happy that someone said it was in the heart of everything because I want to show my daughters everything on that island!

Hoe you enjoy your trip and we may even run into each other there!

Ruth