Watch out for those concerts!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
With so many music concerts with foreign and local artists coming to DR this year, I would suggest people to be wary of buying advance tickets, specially those so-called VIP and Platinums at over $5000 pesos each.

Just to give you an example. The second planned Pavarotti concert was cancelled after half the tickets were sold. Those who paid had their money in somebodys hand with no guarantee.

According to the DR Internal Revenue Chief, in a news report several days ago, the same promoter turned in the first concert revenue statement indicating he had only paid US$10,000 to Pavarotti. The Revenue Chief was in flames over this absurdity. He said that Pavarotti commands at least US$100,000 and stuck to his guns. The impression left with this is that the second concert was a smokescreen to claim losses after the cancellation, an old trick used by Dominican promoters.

For instance, the promoters of the Salsa Reventon claimed publicly they had lost $500,000 pesos with the low attendance. It seems all promoters always lose money in DR. But they continue bringing in more acts. The Reventon Concert was shown on free TV last Sunday in its entirety, but better yet, they had exclusive interviews with the artists, which you cannot see at the concert.

In the meantime, if you are smart and know the rules, you know that all you have to do is show up at the gate, after the first act has been completed(hardly anyone cares to see the band that plays first) and you just shop around with the scalpers. Make them nervous. Stay outside just giving them the cold shoulder. Pretty soon, they will come to you and you may end up buying a $500 ticket for a mere $100.

VIP and Platinum tickets are usually a scam. The last people who bought Platinums at $7000-10,000 for the Luis Miguel concert were pushed aside to VIP locations worth $5000 and could do nothing about it. What they did was give all the Platinum seats to Hipolito Mejia and his entourage and claimed national security. Those who stayed home enjoyed the concert live for free in their comfortable beds and reclining chairs. Those who went to the concert had no idea Luis Miguel negotiated in his contract to have the concert played live on TV so the poor people could see it.

Another tip. To?o Rosario is not worth paying over $200 for any event. To?o plays in DR year round. His music is always the same, at least for an entire years span. All you have to do is wait for a local club show, like Jet Set on Mondays and catch him for that amount. I have seen people pay as much as $1000 to see To?o. You could buy yourself an outfit to see him with that money, if you know the tricks.

Also, if you wait for the Presidente Festival, you can see multiple acts with real stars for $200 and not be taken for a fool with a VIP or Platinum ticket.

Just because you have money to burn doesnt mean you have to burn it for a worthless act.

TW

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Golo saved the day

Yee Thanks Golo, I was thinking, while reading
all this other BS you were writing today, that
sitting too much on your ass (your words)
definitely was affecting your mental state
of mind.

And I was telling to myself if he doesn't
stop this soon I will just quit reading his
posts.

....What would you have done in that case????

But now all the above becomes a non issue.

Good day X.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Could it be possible..

that the Golo man, way, way, deep, deep down inside has what WE regular people call a HEART?

That was a good post, looking out for other people's money.

He's absolutely right! Right now, here in Miami there's a travel agency selling "packages" to the Bavaro Beach Hotel for June-August on the idea that there will be concerts every weekend by famous bands. The trick is if you buy the package (around U$800) they "give" you the ticket to the concert for free, claiming it's cost to be about U$50.

You can go here anyday of the week and see the same bands LIVE for FREE!!!

Personally, I have never paid for a concert ticket in my life...of course, I have a little advantage...but it hurts to see people get ripped off like that!

Thank you, sir Golo...Now, please don't let go of that side of your personality...

You'll see...in time you'll get used to having a HEART...and the people will LOVE you for what you are and not what you MIGHT have!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You all have reflected my gut response when I read this just after he posted

Since I have never been to a concert of popular musin in my life, I did not make too much of a thing of it. However, I can see how this will certainly be good advice to many, many people.

wise words golo, many thanks...

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Originally posted by golo
Just because you have money to burn ...
Speak for yourself buddy... ;)

Anyways, you are absotively and posuletely right on this one. I have been to very few concerts here and wouldn't be caught dead in most of them.